Battery keeps dying

tweeder

Cadet
I just put a new battery in my boat, but after I try to crank her a few times the battery loses al power. I have checked all of my switches and electronics and nothing is left in the "on" position. I hooked a multimeter to it and after a few cranks it would only be at 4 or 5 volts, but it would slowly gain voltage if her let her sit fo a few minutes. I'm not sure of what else to do or where to check and I'm scared of taking her out and being stuck with a dead battery on the water.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Battery keeps dying

Did you charge the battery before installing it? Check all your wiring and be sure all connections are clean and tight. Are you sure your charging ciruit is working properly? And its possible the new battery is bad or your starter is dragging the voltage down.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Put your battery on a charger and when it is done charging let it sit for a day without it being connected. Take your volt meter and read teh voltage. What are you reading? Should be around 12.75 VDC. Make sure you let it sit overnight without the charger. What kind of motor do you have for this battery?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Even with a perfectly good battery, if the cables or the connections are bad you could see the same problems. Could also be caused by a dragging starter, engine, or drive.<br />Might want to find someone with a clamp on amperage meter to find out what kind of draw you have when the starter is cranking.

18rabbit

Captain

My first thought is the same as Don S. But for a batt to get slammed that low, that fast, there has to be some heat build up in the batt cables. Defiantly charge the batt as mentioned by others above. When you reinstall it (with everything turned off), connect the [+] first then when you connect the [-] feel the cable. If ether cable is getting warm just sitting there, disconnect the [-] immediately. Otherwise, try starting your motor, and again feel the cables.<br /><br />What I am thinking is there may be a direct short somewhere. If there is, the batt will go down very fast and the cables will be getting hot, hot enough to cause burns on your hands so be careful.