Interstate Megatron Battery

ARCWINSTON

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,<br /> Would anyone with experience good or bad with these batteries, especially model SRM-27, please comment.Thank you...W

18rabbit

Captain
Re: Interstate Megatron Battery

AW – don’t have any experience with them outside of a car. Not familiar with the Megatron bat. Always thought of them as a middle of the road bat with a big distribution network. I would shop around for a bat. Wal-Mart has decent bats. Costco has good bats at decent prices, etc. Whatever bat you get, if you keep it charged, maintain the water level, it'll likely exceed your expectations.

LubeDude

Admiral

Batteries are constantly going through an evolution precess. If you got a bad battery last year of a certain brand doesnt mean you will get the same battery this year of the same brand, therefore its hard to say that a certain battery is a bad investment. The good thing about Walmart is that you can exchange them anywhere you may be without questions. I know some one that constantly has new batterys in his boat because whether the battery is bad or not he takes them back and gets new ones every December.<br />This isnt ethical IMHO, but its his concience. Ive started using Trojans as I think there quality is constant.

ARCWINSTON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, there are always bad examples of everything. I believe that the majority of battery troubles are self induced but many people like to blame anything rather than step up and say they screwed up by not maintaining them properly. I look after my batteries and have not had one let me down. I am torn between Trojan, Megatron or Wallmart. Thanks for the comments...W

sailsmanship

Petty Officer 1st Class

Trojan all the way... Don't use anything else anymore.

18rabbit

Captain

Arcw - Since you put it that way there is nothing to think about. Go with the Trojan.

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

if your going to keep your boat buy ompita batt. wal mart batt. are ok.pmpitma batt. 6 yrs old stillgoing strong have them on trolling motor.trojan batt.are junk.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My YUASU car battery is +5 years and 140,000 miles. Any brand can be a good one. Luck is more important.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by racer 15:<br /> trojan batt.are junk.
Carefull, you may be showing your true colors. What are you basing this absurd comment on???

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

had 2 trojan batt.1 year old and both were no good.warrenty would not replace them.maybe just a bad exp.they sure didnt last long.dry cell all the way.

FishyFun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Go with the Megatron, and a good on board charger!<br /><br />lee

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

As a dealer for Trojan's for about 2 1/2 years now, I've had one come back. Not a real bad track record when considering I would have at least 4 to 5 returns per year on the battery I was selling.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

Over the years I have tried numerous brands and have settled on a couple as worthy of being in my boat. I do not like Interstates, Diehards or Exide batteries. I have had these brands in the past and they haven't performed for me- just limited life when worked hard. The Interstates really disappointed me the most as I bought two new Grp 29 batteries and they were weak the following year. After free replacement the second set got weak after just one season. I dumped them and went to the Exides- they didn't do well either. Diehards were the worst of all- I had two that didn't get through a season. Both shorted out internally and left me with no TM each time. <br /><br /> I have found that Wally World's batteries are actually pretty decent. The big yellow beasts did well for me and each lasted almost 3 years. That's the Maxx brand I believe. I think they now offer an 18 month or 24 month free replacement warranty or the like. The regular Grp27 Wal-Mart batteries work well in other people's boat that I know of as well. <br /><br /> Right now I have two BPS Grp 27 batteries in my center console. I bought them on sale for less than $40 apiece and I don't care if they take a dump after one year. I'll return them and get the larger batteries next time. I had installed a new MK trolling motor on my boat and needed batteries quickly before I left for Florida. BPS had a sale and these batteries were half-price. Couldn't pass that up. They ran my 70# Power Drive all day in the outgoing and incoming tides on a charge and that was what I needed. <br /><br /> I know a lot of bass guys use Trojan batteries so they must be decent- I read a lot of good reviews about them. But, they run a little higher on price. <br /><br />UFM82

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I've got a SRM-24, 3 1/2 yrs old, says "deep-cycle" but website says it's dual purpose I use it for cranking and accessories. I keep it in the garage when not in the boat. For the last six months it won't hold over 75% of full charge. And gasses a bunch when charging. I check it with hydrometer regularly, all the cells are pretty much equal. Figure it'll go another year maybe. I'd get another one without hesitation.<br /><br />I have two walmart deepcycles for the trolling motor which I can use for jumpstart so I don't worry about getting stranded.<br /><br />the walmart batteries, I went through 2 in 2 years, luckily they have a 12-month free replacement and they don't test 'em if you bring one back. I'm not confident enough in 'em to use for cranking, though.<br /><br />that's just my experience.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I run a GEM electric car.It comes from the factory with 6 Trojan 30XHS(12 volt 130 amp hour) batteries.This application is absolutely the hardest on batteries.Harsh deep discharges up to 350 amps load.<br /> Lots of vibration due to a pretty harsh ride.<br /> Yet with careful care these will go over 5,000<br />miles and 3+ years.Thats a lot of cycles at 30 miles per charge.

batterypimp

Recruit

howdy all. just wanted to share some facts and when its just an opinion i'll give you a heads up. i have 30 years in the battery biz (where did i go wrong?). i have worked for the majority of the major manufacturers in several capacities and have witnessed the good the bad and the ugly.
first things first, there are only a few manufactures left. like many industries in the 80's and 90's mergers friendly and un-friendly were semi-common. today the two major players are exide and johnson controls. there are several smaller or regional builders.such as deka/east penn, u.s. battery, trojan etc. all have a niche and there are NO bad or b grade manf'ers left. technology and EPA have had such a huge financial effect only the strong survive, the weak have perished and fallen by the wayside.
part two, the big guys produce almost all of the name brands you see in the market place, johnson controls (JCI) makes: the majority of sears diehard, 90% of walmarts line, interstate, motorcraft, duralast, the after market OE replacement batteries for toyota, nissan, mopar, mazda, lexus, subaru, saab you get the idea. exide makes batteries for many private label accounts such as TBA (tire battery and accessories) tire stores, chain marine stores, parts houses (high volume low margin biz).
so what does all this mean to me? think of picking a battery like ordreing food from a menu. all the manf'ers have everything from steak to peanut butter and jelly. you should make your order to fit your appetite. the most expensive isn't always the "best " thing on the menu. you should know what cca ,cold cranking amps,( not ca or mca or hca. ALL bogus measurements) and reserve capacity your application requires. also your "side order" should be warranty. if you live in a hot climate pay particular attention to FREE REPLACEMENT. last but not least, how easy is it to get warranty service? physically call the 1-800 number. pretend to have a warranty situation. how good/ easy was the situation? of course money plays in but most folks are willing to pay a bit extra for quality products and services.
opinion time: best quality to value ratio Interstate Battery.

BigSteve1967

Seaman Apprentice

BatteryPimp thank you for that very informative opinion its people like you that make this site what it is

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

Batterypimp- welcome to iboats. You will see that there are alot of battery threads....your expertise is most definatley welcome here.... :)

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello,
Would anyone with experience good or bad with these batteries, especially model SRM-27, please comment.Thank you...W

What are going to use this battery for engine starting only or to run accessories and/or a trolling motor.

If just for starting and/or low current draw a dual purpose battery would work.
throw in a trolling motor or high amp accessories and your gonna need second battery that is a deep cycle.

Even with low draw accessories you should have a second battery to run them.

Don't have any experience with Mega-Trons in boats but I really liked them in cars and light trucks.
BTW Interstate is a distribution network only, the msds lists the manufacturer as.
U.S. BATTERY MFG. CO. 653 INDUSTRIAL PARK DR. EVANS, GA. 30809

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a group 27 AC Delco deep cycle battery I bought at Kmart 7 years ago. I used this battery on a Minnkota 12 v 50lb trolling motor. I took this battery in with my starting battery of another brand name to my local auto parts store. I had both batterys load tested. I had to buy a new starting battery but the AC Delco is still alive and well. 7 years of trolling and charging.
Delco batteries are hard to beat.