Battery Isolator

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
I have a 70 hp Mercury model #YB182025 or could be Y8182025 Hard to tell. Its either a 1990 or 1993. <br />I am wondering where to splice in a battery isolator. If any one could post a pic of charging system wiring diagram it would be greatly appreciated.

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Battery Isolator

What, exactly, are you trying to isolate???<br />Another battery or component??<br />This may be an electronics issue, but we'll see just what it is you're looking for if you will clarify.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I would like to charge a second battery. I know how to wire batterys and isolator but do knot know where to tie into engine or wiring harness for charging system voltage to isolator. I do not have a manuel for this engine. A wiring diagram of starting and charging system would tell me what I would like to know.<br /><br />Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Reelpoor, To install a battery isolator you will need to find and disconnect the charging wire from the battery cable. This is likely going to require major changes to the wiring harness of the motor and boat. Also, there a a 1 volt drop inherent to the battery isolator, which on a low rate charging system such as you have is a lot of loss. it would be much better to use a battery combiner(Auto Charge Relay Item 5426697 $155. at West marine). They mount on one battery and are cabled to the second battery. It will require no change to the existing wiring harness.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

:eek: :eek: <br /> :) :) <br />
To install a battery isolator you will need to find and disconnect the charging wire from the battery cable
Where is this wire? What color is it? Do I have to cut it? Will It just unscrew? HELP !!! <br /><br />A picture of starting and charging system wiring diagram would answer my question.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> follow the red lead from the rectifier/regulator to the starter solinoid. disconnected it from the solinoid and extend it to the alt term on the isolator.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Also, don't worry about the voltage drop across the isolator, it's 0.7 volts. An outboard charging system is unregulated, what keeps the voltage from running away is the battery. The voltage at the battery will be OK.

Trent

Captain

Not all outboards are unregulated. Only some.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Thank Ya rodbolt<br /><br />Ill look for the wire and post back. No more post means no more problem.<br /><br />Thanks again to every one who replied.<br /><br />BTW should this have been in the electrical & electronics forum? <br />_____________ :rolleyes: ____ :eek: _____________

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

It would have been had I understood for sure what you were looking to do, but not a problem. If you have further questions pertaining to this, we'll move it and you can go from there.<br />Good Luck! :) <br /><br />Moving to Electronics....