vhf..cb..cell phone in Lk Geneva Wisconsin?

richg99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I have an opportunity to install a VHF on my small boat for usage in Lk Geneva Wisconsin this Summer. Alternatively, I could bring a CB or a cellphone or both. Does anyone know what radio/communication device would be most tended and monitored on this large inland lake?? Thanks RichG

D

DJ

Re: vhf..cb..cell phone in Lk Geneva Wisconsin?

richg99,<br /><br />Cell phones will not be monitored but I'll bet they will have good reception.<br /><br />VHF's are not always very popular on smaller inland lakes.<br /><br />Perhaps a local can chime in here and advisew what the local customs are.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

You can frequently find myself or my brother on the lake on virtually every weekend, and we utilize VHF. We also use our boats on the mississippi river and lake michigan. There they are useful. <br /><br />As far as needing one, no way. Most people have no idea what one is. The resturants (at least the ones I know) don't monitor, but I believe that gordy's marine and others do monitor VHF. There is also a lake patrol that monitors it as well. If you aniticipate problems it sure is nice to have one. I have both a handheld and mounted style and the hand held will not provide you with complete coverage over the lake. Cell phones enjoy complete coverage. <br /><br />I hope this helps.... :)

richg99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

pointer 94 Yes, it does help, a lot. I was under the impression that VHF was more of a "coastal " thing. I'll arrange to re-install the VHF for my Wisconsin time. RichG Houston TX

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

For clairification purposes, On lake geneva you don't really need one, on the mississippi river or lake michigan it is a must!!!! :)

richg99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea..if I was running the Mississippi, I'd need one to contact the tug boats ( that probably couldn't stop if I was in their way anyhow! ) Another forum tells me that the Sheriff's dept. monitors VHF 16 all of the time. Better a ticket and a tow then no tow at all! I intend to stay close to shore and out of the way of the big boats, but I still want a method to contact help if ever needed. RichG

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

In Canada, *16 on the cell will get you the Coast Guard. It's probably the same in your area. Easy to check, anyways.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

richg<br />Every one with a VHF Radio is required to monitor Channel 16 if they are not talking on another channel. No license required anymore but still must follow the rules. Commercal boats often have a second radio set to 16 while they talk on 12 or 13.<br /><br />Recreational boats often have a dual watch radio so can monitor two channels or a scanning radio that scans many channels.<br /><br />Basic idea is if everyone monitors 16 and you put out a MAYDAY Call then not only will the Coast Guard here you some 30 miles away but also the boat 100 yards away will here you.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

on this large inland lake
larger ????<br />You are from Texas aren't you? :D <br /><br />I'm not saying you shouldn't have a radio, but the lake is only 1.25 mile wide and 7 miles long. Hardly what I would call large, even for Wisconsin. It is a completely urban area only 6 miles off the interstate, and 4 miles north of the Illinois line.<br /><br />Enjoy your time in Illinois, I mean Wisconsin.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Rich,<br /><br />Will tow for beer,, :D Simply hail "Advancing" on Channel 16. :D

richg99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Roscoe, thanks for your "jibe"... I know the size of the lake, since I own property there. I figured I can't swim 1.5 miles in any direction any more, especially with the crazies running their jet skis over me. A radio might come in handy.<br /><br />When I used the reference "large"...I meant in comparison to other lakes. It IS large compared to the zillion other smaller lakes near-by ( other than LK Michigan). <br /><br />Heck, the smallest BAY I fish in HERE is 25 miles long and three miles wide. <br /><br />It was just a point of reference in my comment.<br />RichG