Can I run the Ground wire through the switch?

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm tryin to re-wire my bilge and bait pumps in my little skiff. Can I run the switch on the ground wire or do I have to run it through the Pos wire?.....I'm also putting in inline fuses and am not sure how much fuse will be enough for the pumps and my trolling motor. Don't want to get on the water and start blowing fuses....Thanks in advance for an info.....Warren

crab bait

Captain
Re: Can I run the Ground wire through the switch?

as a rule,, never switch the ground wire..<br /><br />in-line fuses..?? sure.. but can't see the trollmo an bilge on the same hot wire feed.. ones a big fat wire.. the others a small wire.. <br /><br />2 different circuts.. 2 different fuses.. one about 10 amp.. the troll about 40 amp..<br /><br />if that's what your askin'..

18rabbit

Captain

The short answer is: NO!!! Never switch the ground. There is a serious safety issue involved with switching the ground on boats. Only switch the source (+).<br /><br />Function wise, it shouldn't matter. Safety wise, it does. ;)

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got It.....Thanks for the reply....Does it matter if I use Glass or Plastic Blade fuses?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Warren<br />Do not put the switch in the ground wire.<br />Fuse size should be about double your max amp draw but never be biger than the rateing for your wire. You do not want your wire to become the fuse if something shorts out. Put your fuse at close to the power source as your can.<br /><br />40 amp fuse ok for trolling motor if your wire size is 8 guage or larger. 10 guage wire then 30 amps is the max.<br /><br />West Marine has a chart for Bildge pumps draw and fuse size on page 515. Go to their site click on 2004 catalog put in page number and hit go.<br /><br /> http://mastercatalog04.westmarine.com/0515.asp

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great....Thanks for the help..On my way to get the stuff I need now.....Warren