Trolling Motor Battery Charging

crookedmullet

Seaman
I was wondering if anyone has used or heard of 'Stealth I' battery charging system? It eliminates the 50' foot extension cord you have running into your garage by charging the trolling motor batteries while the outboard is running. I'm using the Dual Pro right now and the problem I'm having is that after a long day of running the trolling motors, the batteries get too low(5v...I think?), where the Dual Pro can't charge them. If anyone has any comments or suggestions on a different charger, I would really appreciate it.

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Trolling Motor Battery Charging

I hope these are 6v batteries hooked up in series your using. If you let a 12v battery get that low, it's doubtful any onboard charger will bring it back to full charge.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

That sure is low. I use the Dual Pro myself and havn't had a problems yet. My troller is a 24V OMC. I've gone 2 days with out recharging. But the onboard charger brings them right back up. What type batteries you using?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Crooked<br />Read #4 and #11. Dishcharging a Deep cycle below 50 percent of charge will do damage to your battery. Full charge is 12.65 volts and 50% of charge is 12.24 volts. If your batteries have discharged to 5 volts then you likely have done a lot of damage and they may never charge up again.<br /><br />If your outboard has a large alternator like 30 amps then I think chargeing your batteries from the outboard is a good Idea. If your outboard has a small alternator output like 6 amps then I think you will never be able to charge them up and if you try may not charge up your starting battery either. Also you alternator would be running on max for hours and could overheat and damage your alternator. <br /><br /> http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq.htm