my radio keeps going out!

echoman65

Recruit
HI all,,,have a 240BR crownline with one fresh deep cycle battery. Radio/cassette and also have a six disk CD changer. When listening w/ ACC switch or slow idle the unit intermittenly shuts off then comes back on...only when a CD is on. When at higher RPM seems to stay running unless volume is turned up too loud. Is rather annoying and was wondering if it has happened to others and are there any fixes to be offered. AMP..?...fuses?,,,wiring...need two battery system?...Please advise...Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: my radio keeps going out!

Hi, Echoman.<br /><br />My guess is that your electrical load is too much for the alternator at idle speeds and the voltage is dropping too low for the CD player.<br /><br />Gonna move this to Electronics.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

ebbtide176

Commander
Re: my radio keeps going out!

try borrowing/adding a temp battery (with jumper cables), just to help isolate the problem and/or find a quick fix... it might point you in the right direction. such as battery power or current output... just try to eliminate the possibilities. could you have a prob with the voltage at the cd player? <br />-just another thought<br /><br />i really try to avoid the more irritating choices, like putting an ammeter inline on your alternator and/or stereo, but it might come down to that...problems like you describe don't usually amt to much. either the system can't supply the current, or you can get by with a little more 'surplus' current (in the form of more storage. as in battery storage)