It's Ugly, But It's Mine!

CATransplant

Admiral
Boats, boats, boats. Boy, I'd like to have one of those shiny restorations everybody seems to do, but there are walleyes out there to catch, not to mention northerns and bass.<br /><br />I just bought this thing, a Sea King 12' tinnie, that hadn't been licensed since 1978. The guy said it didn't leak, so I used paint remover to get most of the old brown paint off of it. Made new transom boards and put them on. The trailer didn't fit the boat, so I fooled with that until it did. Stuff was loose, so I tightened it. <br /><br />Stuck my old 5hp Sea King kicker and a cheap-o Endura electric troller on the back. In less than a week, I headed for the lake. Caught a couple of northerns and a couple of bass. And it didn't leak.<br /><br />Total invested: $400. I'd finish fixing this up, but I have to go fishing!<br /><br />
newboat1.jpg

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: It's Ugly, But It's Mine!

Well...It is ugly, but if the fish don't mind, then what's the problem?

LubeDude

Admiral

Well, you have your priorities in order I see, boating and fishing instead of yardwork! Thats what wives are for, right? :p If ya dont have one, ya need to think about it. :eek:

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

CATransplant,<br /><br />There is a neighbor of mine who has a beat up old yellow boat with an old Merc on it, almost every night I hear him going down the canal, while I sand my boat and talk to my neighbors (who also have boats), while he is out fishing!<br /><br />More power to you, as long as it is safe, I say get out on the water!<br /><br />Peace.<br /><br />Ed.

CATransplant

Admiral

Originally posted by studlymandingo:<br /> Well...It is ugly, but if the fish don't mind, then what's the problem?
That's how I feel, exactly. The fish don't even seem to see this boat. One of the Northerns I caught today hit about three feet from the boat. Got my wife wet when it splashed, but she didn't mind.

CATransplant

Admiral

"More power to you, as long as it is safe, I say get out on the water!<br />"<br /><br />It doesn't leak. It floats. It's safe. My Brother-in-law, who is a professional sign maker, is making me some vinyl that says "NotLund" for the stern, where the Lund logo would go. I'm also looking for sponsor stickers for this one. I figure Rapala and Storm won't mind if I put their decals on this tub. Ha!<br /><br />Seriously, I fish small lakes mostly. They're not crowded, there are no wake-boarders, and I can go on lakes with 10 hp limits or electric-only.<br /><br />I found out last year that often there are no boats at all on those lakes. Good luck for me.<br /><br />So, if you see an ugly old boat with a gray-bearded old guy with a big stringer of fish...it could be me. Wave!

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Bassin' Fever AKA LubeDude:<br /> Well, you have your priorities in order I see, boating and fishing instead of yardwork! Thats what wives are for, right? :p If ya dont have one, ya need to think about it. :eek:
I had a choice last weekend to buy a much-needed lawn mower or a 5 gallon bucket of fiberglass resin. I still don't know when I'm gonna get that mower.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

look at mine '1960Lonestar 55 15hp rude' a little sanding $30.00 worth of 99 cent a can spray paint, seats and controlers from ebay. less the $1000. Best combo i've ever owned, and the cheapest.

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seeing as your in St Paul, you'll have all the time in the world to work on your boat between Halloween and Memorial weekend. Being a MN resident once removed I remember seeing piles of snow in the parking lots up thru june. Theres a time for everything.... Go Fish!!!

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Bassin' Fever AKA LubeDude:<br /> Well, you have your priorities in order I see, boating and fishing instead of yardwork! Thats what wives are for, right? :p If ya dont have one, ya need to think about it. :eek:
Saving for future blackma... I mean reference.<br />What's your wife Email addy?? :p ;)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

This is a clear case of "not enough boats"! You need one that's "done" and one that's "getting done"...<br /><br />A tin boat's a tin boat. You can shine it up, but it's still a tin boat. Besides, you don't want to get fishguts and minnow poop all over a shiny clean floor, do you? If it floats, runs and doesn't leak, you don't need much else...<br /><br />- Scott

CATransplant

Admiral

This is a clear case of "not enough boats"! You need one that's "done" and one that's "getting done"...
Well, I'll have to address that issue with my wife. I do not expect a sympathetic ear. <br /><br />You're certainly right, though, about tin boats and fish guts. You just flip it on its side and hose it out. <br /><br />Winter storage is easy, too, with a tinnie. Just turn it upside down on the trailer and you're done.

CATransplant

Admiral

Originally posted by DangerDan:<br /> Seeing as your in St Paul, you'll have all the time in the world to work on your boat between Halloween and Memorial weekend. Being a MN resident once removed I remember seeing piles of snow in the parking lots up thru june. Theres a time for everything.... Go Fish!!!
Ha! I have a one-car garage, and my wife insists that her car fit into it. I'll be turning the boat upside down on the trailer before the first snow. I store the outboard, trolling motor, and battery in the basement. Fat chance of working on any boat in the winter!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Maybe you ought to drift back to CA CA. Don't need no stinkin basements and you could work on your boat 11 months out of the year.<br /><br />I too am an 18 year CA transplant. I'm headed to LA and San Diego at the end of this week, just to remind me why I left. ;)

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Now let's see yep i remeber that boat, Total Walleye Killer......... yes those were the best times of my life......... ;)