Seat Installation

katiedoes

Cadet
I have replaced my floor in my 1971 HydroSwift tri hull. I bought new seats however they came with no hardware and install instructions. I have drilled 5/16 holes in the floor and tried to use "t" inserts to screw the seats into, that isn't working.<br /><br />How do I attach the seats to the floor securely? What type of hardware for attachment. I have about a 1 1/2 inch clearance for the floor to the fiber glass itself.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Seat Installation

I am assuming that you are talking about tlounge seats or jump seats with the square "box" bases...What I have seen is SS L-bracket with 1" SS wood screws. (actually, in my project boat...there was 1 1/2" and they used 2" screws..ouch)<br /><br />-JMW

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Katie, On my speedboat I need to fiberglass the seat bases to the floor. Screws and brackets pull out. On usual installations two screws into floor, thru the cross supports suffices to hold the seat bases.<br /><br />PS T-nuts need to be on the inside of the wood to hold properly.

OldBoatGuy12

Seaman Apprentice

I am using threaded inserts for my installation.They are about 1/2 inch long and have course threads on the outside and are threaded for whatever size bolt you want on the inside. Here's a picture. They usually come in brass but stainless is also available.
4ZU54.JPG

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

all will work, for a longer life put a sealed between the floor and L bracket, even a bathroom caulk is better than nothing.