how to clean fuel tanks

mcagnew

Cadet
I have some aluminum fuel tanks in my 73 gemcraft southwind. The boat sat for a long time (around 19 years) and they never drained the fuel (2-stroke), so looking in the tanks there is a brown layer of sludge all over the inside of the tanks, I beleve to be oil and gas deposits. They wont wipe up to easy. Wondering if anyone has dealt with this before and knows how to remove all the gunk in the tanks so they look clean again. My only option now is to spend $500+ on new custom tanks, but if I can clean them that would be all the better.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: how to clean fuel tanks

are the tanks still installed in the boat? if so how hard to remove them?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i investigated some site for industrial degreaser. if nothing else i would rig a nozzle on a pressure washer and try it before i spent 500 bait and tackle dollars. a nozzle on some flexible copper that you could bend and direct.

mcagnew

Cadet

They are in the boat still, however I plan on taking them out. pressure washer might work...its worth a try. any good chemicals out there that would help break it up.

santa666

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Fire and explosion hazard aside cut the tops of your tanks open and clean them out.<br /><br />I cut open my 56 gallon galvanized steel tank 3 years ago an removed 30 years of water, sand, and varnishy gunk! <br /><br />Under running water to dispel heat and possible sparks I drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the tank. Then under running water I used a jigsaw with a hacksaw blade to cut an 8 inch hole... After a couple of days of wet/dry vac use and swabbing the inside of the tank with paper towels, it was clean, clean, clean! <br /><br />I used the cut out piece to make a pattern from a fresh section of 1/8" stainless steel 10 inch wide to re-close the tank. I drilled and made tapps every 1-1/2 inch around the edge... I thoroughly gooped the whole thing with marine grade clear silicone and screwed it into place. let cure thoroughly...<br /><br />That was 3 years ago- tank, engine and boat are doing fine. <br /><br />by the way, its a 1971 SLICKCRAFT SS235 chevy 350, 56 gallon galvanized tank.

tommays

Admiral

Thats about the SCARIEST methoid i have ever heard of to clean out a tank.<br /><br />UNLESS its compleatly empty and been flushed to a fume free point it will be very dangerous to due anything to it.<br /><br /><br />I wont even bring up the saftey problems of makeing your own manhole.<br /><br />tommays

santa666

Petty Officer 3rd Class

is that due, or do? At least my grammar is gooder. :p

tommays

Admiral

I really worry more about people blowing them selfs up when they dont understand the dangers of working on fuel systems than the best grammar. :rolleyes: <br /><br />tommays

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

If you can get the tanks out, do. Castrol Powerclean or Greased Lightning poured down the filler and allowed to soak should break up the goo. Drain, dispose of the stuff properly, repeat if necessary. Be sure to rinse and dry the tank well.<br /><br />my 2cents<br /><br />spots

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

How many gallons of fuel do these tanks hold?

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Used to be able to have a radiator shop stick it in there untra sound tub, I would check around and see if any will do this for you. also when the tank is clean clean coat the inside with a rubberized coating.

santa666

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hmm, all good thoughts...<br /><br />...What if the tank is glassed in? What if the ONLY method of removing the tank is to cut the boat apart? Cut out the molded cabin liner? Cut out the tank and get a new one for hundreds of dollars? Gas from almost every sources contains impurities, and not just "harmful deposits" like the commercials tell us. There's water, dirt, and sand in almost all gas. And what about these tanks? Tanks, full or empty sit over winters- some rusting away. Condensation forms in tanks too. These factors plus not wanting to be stranded 20 miles from shore made the risk of opening my tank acceptable- <br /><br />And what about that risk? Risk of explosion? with running cold water on my drill bit turn slowly into metal? what, a spark? heat buildup from friction??? Where is this awful risk? from gas vapors igniting from my drill? (which was taped over) I ran a fan that day. Minimising risk to acceptable levels is around us every day- That's why we have seat belts. I did it and succeded in solving a real problem without any explosion. <br /><br /><br /> As for those other "solutions" Yes, poured in distillates "should" break up the goo, but can you be sure, How many cans of goo disolver does it take? How would you know if you've succeded?<br /><br />And what about what about sediment??? I swabbed out a dozen handfuls of sand from the previous owners carelesness- Get that with a poured in solvent? No way. <br /><br />With a "port" in my tank I know I can inspect it at any time, not that I'd need to now that I use good clean gas from a reliable source. The system is now properly filtered, with an in tank screen, a RACOR canister water seperator, and one in the carb. All stock, and all profesionally installed.<br /><br />The proof is gas tank, cleaned, not exploded, not rinsed out with some voodoo potion, but cleaned.

tommays

Admiral

Fuel tanks have CG rateings once you start makeing changes to them like a "port" you have no more rateing which would be a problem that people should be aware of.<br /><br />Whats left inside the tank can go poof very easy no matter how much water you run on the outside<br /><br />tommays

santa666

Petty Officer 3rd Class

...Sounds like someone needs to start watching "MYTHBUSTERS"

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

If you HAD to cut the tank open I would fill it totally with water first to displace any fumes and use pneumatic tools to avoid getting shocked. Never thought it being an issue with the CG but it makes sense. Not sure how you sealed the hole up, but the next guy might not be as thorough as you and have a fuel leak. <br /><br />Tommays concern is valid and I don't think he was trying to flame (no pun intended) you or anything. It's just that if there is even the slightest risk of harm in a procedure that we recommend to other members, other options should be explored first. <br /><br /><br />spots

mcagnew

Cadet

All the ideas/comments are good. I was thinking about cutting them open and cleaning them out myself. And then having a buddy of ours weld it back together. The welding I am not concerned with as he is well experienced with welding on gas tanks that have had fuel in them. <br /><br />I will just be extremely cautious when cutting open a side as to not allow any sparks or excessive heat to occur.

santa666

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, all valid points. I went through a ton of options before deciding to cut on the tank. <br /><br />Invollved in the decision to cut were the following considerations;<br /><br />Explosion/fire and the lack of progress though other methods:<br /><br />I used the boats own fuel draw tube to empty the tank as much as was posible and removed 17 .5 litre plastic coke bottles of urine yellow foul smelling gas/water. The last few of these got darker and darker and had sand. <br /><br />I figured out the draw tube did not actually touch the bottom of the tank by measuring the tube and the fitting minus the depth of the tank and figured that the (approximate) volume left in the tank was 6 gallons. 6 whole gallons of the worst of the sand/water/bad gas... The gas and water could be isolated and removed was questionable, but about that sand, I was stuck...<br /><br />Remember, the tank is a permanent part of the boat, no removal option available. <br /><br />So, what to do? I read up on it online, did a couple of chat rooms, and thought is over for about a week...<br /><br />I didn't want to go to a welder due to the expense so researched the fuel resistance properties of different silicone and RTV products. <br /><br />As mentioned in one of the above posts I used a piece of stainless steel and the silicone as a cover over the hole "glued and screwed" was the sealing method. Its has held 100% leak free for 3 seasons now after the cleaning...<br /><br />I'd be happy to e-mail a JPEG picture of the repair, and a cross section drawing detailing the repair...

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I "had" to cut some tanks up once. Had siphoned the gas, and flushed when an old time boat yard owner came over and told me to put a gallon of bleach in each tank before starting the sawzall. Guess it kills the fumes. 55 blades and 1 sawzall later I had both the 180 gallon tanks cut up into manageable sized pieces......

Speakrdude

Ensign

Great Tank Article Santa. When I was younger, I had a leak in the tank of my 61 Chevy Apache 10 pickup. (remember those?) Anyway, I took the tank to the welder and he hooked up a hose from the exhaust pipe of his running truck to the fuel hose inlet of the tank. This tank still had a litle fuel in the bottom! He said the carbon monoxide would take the place of any oxygen in the tank. He used a torch to braze the hole. I stood back. Sure nuff, worked fine.