To Build a Boat (any boat)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

aside from a canoe or kayak... I dont think theres a lot of options for a 2 person boat that will fit in the back of a truck. As far as speed is concerned.. the twin 9.9's are going to be a lot heavier than a single 20 hp which is going to require a bigger boat to handle the weight. for the greatest combinations of your want list, i'd go with the 40 hp on the back of the sports hydro. you'll get 2 person capability and speed.

trackersocha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dave if you read this--please email me<br />trackersocha@gmail.com<br />need contact info for the boat motor pppplease

Pony

Rear Admiral

Idk, I think a jonboat would fit in the back of a pick-up as well, provided its not built too long. At least I hope it does, otherwise I may have start a thread entitled "To Fabricate a Trailer"........Oh but then I'd have to learn to weld.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

we can teach you how to weld, it's not hard!

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

no no no no no no no not ever no. not without a steel frame and hitch and axle.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

tracker.... take a look at the atomite. its taller than the minimax, wider at the gunwales but still only 4' on the bottom and 9.5' long. <br />you'd have fast, more of a possiblity of 2 people than lots of them (that would fit in a truck) though still questionable, and I think it might just handle the twin 9.9's <br /><br />also due to the size at the bottom, you should be able to get it in the back of a full size truck. Might have to raise it on a 2x4 rack. You'd want to support it somehow anyway. with the tail gate down, it shouldnt even stick out over the end.

trackersocha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yea i havent even looked at it (more of a runabout design) but it is really cool

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

did you look at the plans a lil closer tracker? it fits most of your needs perfect.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Got everything together.. Tracker. I emailed you on the info.. will get back to ya shortly. <br /><br />Got cold here... About 30's all week so not good weather for cutting.. or building I'm afraid that this may have to be finished up in the spring.. unless the new home (wherever it may be) has a nice garage (hopefully) I did put my frames in an easy to locate spot..lol<br /><br />Talk to ya's later

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dave I thought you were lost... good to see you online. Email me sometime

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

picked up a "boat load" of plywood today... gonna be a slow process because of time restraints but the camperboat is finally back in the works and on its way.

cpj

Ensign

I finished my test today,no more studying!Now I can get back to building templates

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

very cool cpj, bout time you rejoined. <br /><br /><br />OK... Got out there and put pencil to wood and things werent shaping out the way I wanted. Ugly doesnt even begin to describe this project. Fun yea pretty no. <br /><br />I'm working on the basic dimensions of being 8' long end to end and 40" tall at the highest point. Which of these designs do yall think would work the best and why? <br /><br />Keep in mind, as far as weight is concerned, there will be a 75 lb motor on the back + 5 gallons of fuel + possibly a battery + the transom will more than likely be about 1.5" thick. so as far as bigger at the front is concerned there's still going to be a lot more weight at the back when all is said and done.<br /><br />The motor will probably be mounted to an adjustable mount or a jack plate... not sure yet.<br /><br /><br />
tricopy1.jpg

trackersocha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

are those side views? if so , the first it looks most like a boat.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yes those were side views... after conversation in chat last night my final design came out looking a lot like this...<br /><br />
finalside.jpg
<br /><br />And now I'm committed.<br /><br />
1stcut3.jpg

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I think everyone wants to ask... Which end is the front? Where is the top? Are you going to decorate it like an Easter egg??<br /><br />How will the transom fit in to that design?

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

oh yea lol forgot the transom.... The transom will go where the up and down line is on the design drawing... the portion behind that is merely cosmetic and there will be two of them out the back with a cut out in the middle for the motor to sit between. I figure they will act like trim tabs sorta... wheelie bars if you will. The door hasnt been designed yet but i'm thinking about 2 hatches... the back will go up on supports to straight behind and possibly the front will be on door hinges moulded to the top and the whole front will open as a hatch that can be removed by pulling the pins on the hinges. Thats a very preliminary idea as of right now. Then I'll probably make some long eye shaped windows in the sides out of lexan and tint them.