How about an alternative to carpet?

threedeesmax

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I installed carpet in my '61 Shark, but I'm not really satisfied with it in regard to upkeep, cleaning, and the creepy feel of wet carpet.<br />What kind of floor covering provides a neat look, a non-slippery surface, and easy maintenance?

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: How about an alternative to carpet?

Not sure if this will even help...but in my aluminum boat i built the floor and in the front section where i plan to put anchors etc. i used roofing rubber instead of carpeting. its easy to clean, and i dont think its real slippery, but thats a pretty specific application that i used it for.....i also considered spaying mine with truck bedliner. its non-stick, lifetime gaurantee depending on where its from, and can be in different colors....plus its chemical resistant so gas n oit is no problem. i was thinking of like rhino or linex

TAV MAN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi this is tav man. I'v seen somthing at West Mairn. It was made just for flooring and it looked like carpet patteren colors $$19.99 per l/f. It was 54" wide. Hope it helps

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Check out Boomyal's boat. He has a high end floor covering in his boat. Looks great and low maint.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I used Evercoat no-skid. It is meant for the marine environment, comes in different colors, is no skid, cleans easily, is applied easily, and is not overly expensive. $40 for a gallon, that was all I needed to do the trick, and it has held up very well, it is on its third season and still looks fine.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

If it is the stuff I am thinking of it lasts well(hard on knees or equip. if let bounce around).

Ralph 123

Captain

I hate rug and I hate Nautex (I ripped it up after a couple of seasons!) So I went with paint (easypoxy) with non-skid mixed in.<br /><br />Restoleum paint with some rustoleum anti-slip mixed in is probably the best bet. You can spend a little more and buy a marine topside paint like easypoxy, etc, but a non-biased report in boat test mag (I think) showed plain old rustoleum held up almost as well as all the marine topside paints.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Unlike Ralph, I like the Nautolex. I just replaced mine after 30 years. Even tho the gastank floor panel had dropped down there were no rips in the original. It was just faded and very out of date. You can see the original color inside the gunwale pockets. I'll replace it later.<br /><br />Fortunately the design of my boat was such that the outer edges disappeared under the inner gunwale panel so I didn't have to be concerned about any edge finishing.<br /><br />It was easy to glue down securely as well. I just got some vinyl glue from a local upholsterer and sprayed it on with an siphon paint gun.<br /><br />
DSCF0762.jpg

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hey Boomy, <br /><br />When you gonna put a coat of paint on that control box? It needs a little spiffin' up to match the rest of the boat!

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just a thought... anyone know where you can get that rubber matting that they use around kids park toys these days.. Its made from recycled tires and its soft enough to land a knee on but they use it outside so its got to be durable. Probably pretty heavy though. Guarantee it would last for ever but the weight of it might make it not worthwhile... Just thinking outloud.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Wimperdink:<br /> Just a thought... anyone know where you can get that rubber matting that they use around kids park toys these days.. Its made from recycled tires and its soft enough to land a knee on but they use it outside so its got to be durable. Probably pretty heavy though. Guarantee it would last for ever but the weight of it might make it not worthwhile... Just thinking outloud.
Those rebonded rubber mat's, at least in 1/2" weigh a ton. They are extra tough though but being black they would absorb a lot of heat. I use that stuff on the floor of my work van. Easy on the knees and they absorb/mute a lot of road noise.<br /><br />I really think we are all ****ting in the wind here. The author of this post hasn't bothered to check back or acknowledge, in 4 days, our heartfelt ideas. :confused:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Mark42:<br /> Hey Boomy, <br /><br />When you gonna put a coat of paint on that control box? It needs a little spiffin' up to match the rest of the boat!
Mark, you remind me of my wife. She always says " when ya gonna turn on the windshield wipers"? I always tell her to quit staring at the spots and you won't even see them. :D <br /><br />I'm afeerd that I'll be livin with that imperfection. My object here was to make things sound and durable. If it didn't fall into one of those catagories it is going to have to wait for another day.<br /><br />Of course, I always strove to make whatever improvements I did as pretty as possible while making it strong and durable.

RoyH

Recruit

You Americans and your carpets... :) <br />Over here in europe we dont use carpets in open boats. On boatshows here you can always tell if its an american boat by looking at the interior. Dont you ever go fishing and does it never rain over there... :)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by RoyH:<br /> You Americans and your carpets... :) <br />Over here in europe we dont use carpets in open boats. On boatshows here you can always tell if its an american boat by looking at the interior. Dont you ever go fishing and does it never rain over there... :)
Roy, I am a dyed in the wool Yankee and I could never understand carpet in a boat either. It's kinda like water and fire. IMHO they are direct opposites. :D <br /><br />They hold sand and water, cause your floor to rot and you can't get the fish guts and seaweed out of it.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Looks nice in the showroom though!

Ralph 123

Captain

And feels nice on your bare feet :) <br /><br />A lot (too many) American boats are dock queens. They sit tied to the dock all season and function as a cottage for the owners who use it to socialize on the weekends - carpeting makes it more civilized :)

threedeesmax

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boomyal,<br />I've been checking the post daily to see the replies. I'm just not very chatty - so don't think you're ****ing into the wind.<br />Thanks for the ideas, everybody.<br />Wayne A.

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

Durabak,<br />I did the whole cockpit of my bluewater 2 seasons ago and it is holding up great!!<br />It is made with recycled rubber so it is not hard on bare feet and knees. Cleans up easy with a stiff brissle broom and a little powdered laundry soap.<br /><br />check it out here.<br /><br /> http://www.nonslipcoating.com/

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

"They hold sand and water, cause your floor to rot and you can't get the fish guts and seaweed out of it."<br /><br />Boom, next time I have the seats out the carpet comes out too. Just one season of using the boat and there is a ton of sand in there. I'm going to look into Nautolex.

threedeesmax

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys,<br />I was at the local Wal-Mart yesterday and saw a product named Sta-Kool elastomeric roof coating. It's an elastic roof sealer, insulator, and heat/UV reflector. It may be an inexpensive ($16 per gallon) carpet alternative. It is gas/oil resistant, too. It is meant to be applied with a roller. I e-mailed the manufacturer with questions about its applicability to boat decks, and am waiting for a reply.