Venting a plastic fuel tank

cssev

Recruit
Too many stories to share (more later, with pictures), but I've got my replacement fuel tank (Moeller, 35 Gal) ready to install in my 1973 Sea Ray 220 Cuddy Cabin. It's a really tight fit between the vent hole in this tank and the deck portion we'll be replacing. Does anyone have wisdom concerning the availablilty of (1) a 90-degree elbow that will attach to this 5/8" vent pipe, OR (fearfully asked) a way to ADD a vent fitting into this tank? I realize any drilling of this tank will void the warranty, but (judging from the construction of the pickup tube in my new tank), there ARE fittings that DO work safely, and it would be GREAT to have the vent at the bow-end, where I have more room to work the plumbing.<br />Thanks in advance!<br />-s

crab bait

Captain
Re: Venting a plastic fuel tank

sure ...<br /><br /> any good hardware store has those little 'barbed' fittings for hose in many sizes.. brass & plastic ..<br /><br />short stub piece-o-hose on tank fitting .. then butt in the new fitting.. then take off of that..

Bondo

Staff member

a way to ADD a vent fitting into this tank? I realize any drilling of this tank will void the warranty, but (judging from the construction of the pickup tube in my new tank), there ARE fittings that DO work safely, and it would be GREAT to have the vent at the bow-end, where I have more room to work the plumbing.<br />
That would be known as a "Bulkhead Fitting"............<br /><br />They come in all shapes,+ sizes,..... You obviously need 1 with a 5/8ths" Hose Barb...........

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Yep, what Bondo said. You will have to have access to the new location from the inside because the bulkhead fittings are two-piece jobs that go in from the inside and secured with a nut on the outside, or vice versa. (same as the filler fitting). You might be able to reach through the gas guage sending hole, or try threading a wire through the bulkhead fitting, through the gas guage hole over to the new hole and pull the bulkhead fitting through that way. Then put on sealer and nut from outside. Add 90* fitting for vent.<br /><br />Anything you just screw in from the ouside is not safe because it will not seal or grip the thin plastic wall of the tank. Doing it right only costs a few dollars and a few hours time.

cssev

Recruit

Thanks to all! Soon as the rain lets up, I'm gonna lay in a couple more layers on the new bulkhead at the bilge, slap a temporary deck on top of my tank and go play! Lots to do this winter, though.