Epoxy Paint

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer
Folks,<br /><br />Reaching the end of my rebuild project, will post pics and long story when done. I have re-built using epoxy resins.<br /><br />I was speaking with a builder over the weekend and he told me I cannot re-Jellcoat over the epoxy, because the Jellcoat is polyester based and that I should use, "Inron" or "Suregrip" or "TrueGrip", unfortunately I cannot remember the name(s) he told me, he did say it required no sanding or buffing.<br /><br />Any help is greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Peace to all.<br /><br />emp.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Epoxy Paint

Even so, why not paint with a quality marine paint system. Take a look at the Interlux website (www.interlux.com). They have a boat painting guide that is very helpful. <br /><br />I have had good results with Interlux Perfection (solvent based) and System Three (water based) paints. Both are good and extremely durable 2-part linear polyurethanes. They are both designed for the home boat builder/boat painter that prefers the "roll and tip" method (uses a paint roller to apply the paint in a 2'x2' area and then a natural bristle brush to flow out the paint). This method works really well if done correctly.

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

Folks,<br /><br />It looks like the product he was describing was DuPont Imron, does anyone have any feed back on this product.<br /><br />Thanks, fishingdan, I actually used some linear-poly on the inside of some of the cabinets, I used some Petit products for that.<br /><br />Ralph, I did not use West System Epoxy, I used commercial epoxy from Fiberglass Coatings Inc. I will check with them.<br /><br />Thanks for all the feedback, any additinal info on the Imron product is greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Peace.<br /><br />emp.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Ralph, what isn't mentioned in that article is that the epoxy needs to cure for a couple of weeks before any polyester product is used over the surface. Paint really sounds like a better choice in this situation. Chief ;)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I talked with West Systems about gel coat being applied over epoxy. Yes they did have a report testing it in the lab, but on the phone they said it may not be the best product to use over epoxy, they said paint would be a better choise. I have tried it a few times on cured well prepaired epoxy surfaces and have not had good results. As a supplier of gel coat, I would not recommend using it over epoxy. Use paint it's much easier.

Ralph 123

Captain

ondarvr - when you tried it what happened? Just curious...<br /><br />In West's advanced training tape they show a repair with epoxy in the side of a hull and they finish it will gelcoat - looks good but I wonder if they are just blowing smoke and the gelcoat eventually peels or bubbles? They even make a big deal out of the fact that failures are just due to improper prep... <br /><br />Here in MA, Awlgrip is "the" paint for hulls. I've read lot's of people here on iBoats that have used Imron with good results. Just do a search for it in the forums and you'll find them

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

Folks,<br /><br />Thanks for all the feedback, I read the rest of the forum messages I could get my hands on.<br /><br />It looks like the AwlGrip and the Imron solutions are beyond what I would like to attempt for a variety of reasons, like lack of equipment, spray booth, humidity control, air mask, etc., at this stage I will be looking for a professional to paint, and I will do the prep work.<br /><br />My only other option would be to stick with the Easy-Poxy (Petit), that I used for some of the internal compartments for the rest of the hull.<br /><br />Any opinions?<br /><br />Peace.<br /><br />emp.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Ralph<br /><br />It was a different brand of epoxy, but it had been applied about a year before, I washed and sanded it very well, then applied the gel coat. I was cleaning up and finishing the part a week later and found a bug in the gel coat, I was going to flick it off and then sand it smooth. When I did, a dime size chunk of gel coat just popped off, when I checked the bond on other areas it was poor also. I thought maybe I had done something wrong, so at a later date I tried it a couple more time just to test it. I was never able to get a bond that I was comfortable with, so I just don't do it. I also asked all of the chemists in our lab, all of them said that it may not fail right away, and at times may stick to epoxy OK (not good, but won't just fall off), but it would be something they would always recommend against.

reka12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ed: I used the Interlux Perfection on the hull and coated with a two part clear coat. I used the roll and tip paint method and it looks great. I also used Interlux Brightsides on the interior. I used a flattening agent because I did not want the gloss. It also went on easy and looks great. No spraybooth. Mike

Ralph 123

Captain

Ed, Easy-Poxy is not meant for below the water line. It will fail and peel. That's my experience anyway. I think they also explicitly say it too... you need a 2-part for the hull. Interlux sells a tape that will walk you through the roll and tip method and it looks great if done right...<br /><br />ondarvr, thanks for the input. Sounds like West Systems is out on a limb. I'd be really angry if I relied on them and it failed.

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks,<br /><br />Reka12 and Ralph, I searched the forum and also found step by step on the roll and tip, that is certainly an option for me now.<br /><br />I will definately avoid the easy-poxy for hull and take a much closer look at the Interlux products (there is a West-Marine about 1 mile away).<br /><br />Thanks again for all the help.<br /><br />Peace.<br /><br />emp.

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

Folks,<br /><br />I still don't understand, I went to the Interlux website, and also to Petit, now I am more confused.<br /><br />I will be trailering my boat. Almost exclusively day trips. None of the paints I saw except for the anti-fouling are recommended below the waterline.<br /><br />I understand what anti-fouling is and don't need it. It seems none of the manufacturers (both I looked at), recommend anything except anti-fouling below the water line.<br /><br />Please clear up my fog.<br /><br />Peace.<br /><br />emp.

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

Folks,<br /><br />Below is the response I got from Interlux and my original question to them:<br /><br />Sir,<br /><br />If you don't keep it in the water for anymore than 48 hours at a time,<br />you can use a topside paint. I'd use Perfection, as long as the surface<br />has no previous paint. If it does, use Brightside.<br /><br />Thank you for your patience in allowing me to get information I needed<br />to make a proper suggestion.<br /><br />Dave<br />Interlux Tech Support<br /><br /><br />-----Original Message-----<br />From: Ed Presutti [mailto:epresutti@hotmail.com] <br />Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 2:10 PM<br />To: Interlux Technical Service<br />Subject: Technical<br /><br />I don't understand, I will be trailering my boat,<br />it will be kept out of the water, I wish to paint<br />it, the only paints you recommend for below the<br />waterline is anti-fouling.<br /><br />I am looking for a hard paint that I can use when<br />trailering my boat. I want to paint the entire<br />hull (outside) with the same paint to "look like"<br />the original white jell-coat.<br /><br />What product should I use?<br /><br />Please advise.<br /><br /><br />Peace.<br />Ed Presutti.

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

Folks,<br /><br />Here is the question and reply from Pettit:<br /><br />Thank you for the e-mail. You can use the Pettit Easypoxy. I will send<br />you information about it.<br /><br />-----Original Message-----<br />From: epresutti@hotmail.com [mailto:epresutti@hotmail.com] <br />Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 1:25 PM<br />To: jpetrocelli@kop-coat.com<br />Subject: Ask The Expert (WWW83)<br /><br />Submit Date..: 7/6/2005 2:25:12 PM<br /><br />Full Name....: Ed Presutti<br /><br />Question.....: I would like to paint my exterior hull, I trailer my boat<br />to salt water for day trips, the only paint I see that you approve for<br />below the waterline is anti-fouling, does this apply to a trailered<br />boat, can I use something else, since the boat will not be mored in the<br />water.<br /><br />Please advise.<br /><br />emp.

hyp75

Cadet

Remeber that the epoxy "gets old" realy fast!!! U need to "wake" the surfase before painting!!! or re-paint it with epoxy!!! when u repaint it use epoxy and a lot of thinner (solvent?)70 % then u wait for a few hours and then paint the finnish! Use for example polyurethane painting with UV-protection!!! Intenational has this Interthane paint.. thats ok! or wake it up using sandpaper 600 and whipe it with epoxy thinner, then paint the finnish! <br /><br />ower 10 years experiense of sandblasting and spraypainting!!!