Fiberglass tape and how much Epoxy

breton26

Seaman
I am redoing the joint between my floor and the hull on my 14' MFG Niagara. <br /><br />1. What type of fiberglass tape should I use and how should I do it?<br /><br />2. How much epoxy resin should I get? Could I get away with just a quart or should I get 2 quarts? It is just that it's so expensive. Maybe 1 now, 1 later if I need it.<br /><br />If you want to see pics check link in signature and click on "floor repair". Thanks, always apprieciate your help!!!

Realgun

Commander
Re: Fiberglass tape and how much Epoxy

Basaically you will want to make a paste and glue the floor in then use tape. use 4 or 6 inch wide then 12 inch wide. This will give you a good bond!<br />You might try U.S. Composites they seem to have a good price on the epoxy. Get a Medium Epoxy as its getting warm.<br /><br />The paste is made from milled glass fibers and epoxy.About an equal amount. As to how much get a gallon and a half to start with. A quart is hardly enough.

breton26

Seaman

I was just going to ask if anyone has used us composites because I just cancelled my order from west system and was going to order from us composites. I don't think I will need 12" tape though, I think 6" is the biggest I will need. Is the tape from us composites alright? I was going to get 1/2 gal of epoxy resin you think that will be enough? Mainly 'cause I don't have to do the whole floor just parts of it. Thanks for the help.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I got a load of stuff from US composites. It was all great, including the tools. They were also helpfull in selecting the right materials for each area of my job. <br /><br />If you are going to recover the whole floor, I'd at least get a gallon. It gets real expensive if you have to go to boaters world and buy a quart to finish the job.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Chris,<br /><br />My Niagara has a lip on the floor that rides up the sides of the hull about 2 or 3" all the way around. Did you have to cut that lip off to clean up the hull behind it so you can get a good bond? Or was there no lip?<br /><br />Looking good in the pictures!<br /><br />Mark.

breton26

Seaman

Mark, what I did was cut the lip just to the edge of the plywood. Now I am going to taper the edge of the plywood so I can lay tape and it will be flush with the rest of the floor. The guy at the marina told me to dut 2x4's and wedge them between the floor and the top side rail to push and hold the floor down into the proper position until the epoxy is cured. I am using the West System how to book as a guide for how to lay tape properly. I am going to probably use 3 pieces of 4in tape and offset them overlapping to make the seam. If that makes any sense. The floor is very solid except for a very small area back by the drain hole/transom area. I am also going to fill in all the holes in the floor with epoxy and redrill all mounting holes for seats etc.

Realgun

Commander

Brenton you do not under stand I am sorry.<br />Use the 4 inch tape for the first layer that gives you 2 inches either side of seam. then the 10 inches goes over that tape and gives you more holding power and strength. You will lat the first layer of thape then you will lay the second as soon as the epoxy is tacky about 4 hours @ 70 degrees and medium epoxy. Then the next day you give the tape 1 more coat of epoxy to fill in the weave.

breton26

Seaman

Realgun, I understand now. One more question, Do I need rocks for this? ha-ha

Realgun

Commander

Only in the head. :) Actually you might need some gravity. I find rocks tend to focus the gravity where you need it. :rolleyes:

Realgun

Commander

Mark your gonna catch it! Leave my rocks alone they had babies and need to grow up a wee bit to help out. :)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Realgun,<br /><br />Sorry, I couldn't resist that post about the rocks. :D

breton26

Seaman

Us fellow Niagara owners gotta stick together :D

breton26

Seaman

Well, good news. I ordered all my stuff from U.S. composits today and they answered questions I didn't even know I had. So hopefully my floor will be done in 2 weeks.

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Breton,<br /><br />Just a heads up that I just bought a 20 foot section of 60" wide 24 oz Roving on Ebay for $31.00 (then $15 s&h). I figured this to be the perfect size for my 16 footers floor. The seller was greatrlakesskipper. I just won the auction today and wil let you know what the product is like.<br /><br />cheers<br />e