Steering Cable

FishMagnet

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an older boat which uses utility cable through pulleys to turn the outboard. The cable wraps around a drum behind the steering wheel.<br /><br />Is there a trick to getting the cable nice and tight when replacing? I thought I had it snug, but while I was out on the lake this weekend it came loose on the drum making it real fun to steer back to the dock.<br /><br />Matt

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Steering Cable

There ought to be draw springs that take up the slack. Have a look at this:<br />
service3.gif

breton26

Seaman

Paul, where did you get the article from. I would like to get it. Thanks

FishMagnet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Paul, you're everywhere on this site aren't you? :) Thanks for the article. My boat has two tension springs on the transom. Apparently I just didn't get everything tight enough. All I did is (by hand) pull the cables as tight as I could when attaching to the spring. I'll give it another go, maybe with a second set of hands to help, and see what happens.<br /><br />Matt

Realgun

Commander

You could replace it with a modern cable system. Mark42 did that I believe with his boat.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Breton26: It came from here.<br />For the life of me I can't remember who turned me onto it so I can give them credit. Someone posted it here somewhere...<br /> <br /><br />Fishmagnet, you might try precompressing one or both of the springs and holding it fast with a pair of vice-grips or some such thing. Plan it out and it should go easier. Replacement with a modern system is definitely a good idea - it's the safest and best, but it's also the most expensive.

FishMagnet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll give it a go again tomorrow and see if I can't get it tighter. I suppose what I should've done was install the cable as tight as I could by hand, turn the wheel to loosen one side, tighten that side and then crank the wheel back. That makes sense in my head, I don't know if it does on screen. :)<br /><br />Where can I research a modern steering system? Prices, installation etc...?<br /><br />Matt

Paul Moir

Admiral

Yeah, that sounds like it would work, but if those are the speced 60 lb springs you could only get at best 30lbs on each - if I'm reading you right. You want more. Each spring should be compressed more than half-way.<br /><br />The modern kit works like this:<br />Get a regular single-cable helm from Teleflex, like a Rotary Helm: Click here to see <br />Or a Rack:<br />This kind. <br />Then you need the kit to connect it up to the outboard. For that you want parts D, G, H, and K from Teleflex:<br />Click here for that to make any sense at all.<br /><br />Iboats carries all this stuff. If you want to get inventive with the D, G, H, and K stuff, I don't blame you. But it would be up to you to make it safe.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

FishMagnet,<br /><br />The boat I'm working on has one of those old cable/pully systems. It's hard to tell, but I think the rope is nylon coated steel cable. It does not expand, and is very hard.<br /><br />My setup was just like the picture above before I took it apart. It's probably a good idea to upgrade to something more modern. I think I will when the boat is ready for it. It just seems a lot safer to me.

FishMagnet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think for now my cable/pulley system will have to suffice. I tried to tighten it up today, but had little luck. I think I'll need a second pair of hands to get it real snug. I also tried compressing the spring with a c-clamp, but couldn't get it to stay on.<br /><br />Matt

FishMagnet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, so I must have no idea what I'm doing. I got someone to help, got the springs compressed, got it nice and tight and it still came loose at full turn. I suppose I'm wrapping the cable around the drum incorrectly. I've looked at it carefully and planned it out, and still don't seem to be doing it right. Is there a photo anywhere showing the proper way to wrap it?<br /><br />Matt

FishMagnet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the link breton. As far as I can tell I had it correct the first time. I'm not sure why the cable does not want to follow the thread correctly (when turning). I'll give it another shot as soon as I can get a day of sunshine.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Matt

FishMagnet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is what I did, see if this makes sense. :)<br /><br />Coming from the starboard side the cable comes over the top of the drum, in the middle and wraps around heading away from the steering wheel. Once getting to the end the cable goes through the holes so it comes out on the steering wheel side of the drum. From there it wraps around the drum heading towards the middle, once going around the final available thread it heads over the top of the drum and through the pulleys on the port side.<br /><br />Hopefully I explained it well.<br /><br />Matt

FishMagnet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There isn't a mechanism on the steering wheel that only allows it to turn so many times in each direction is there? It seems whenever I "overturn" is when my cables come off the drum.<br /><br />Matt

breton26

Seaman

When the motor hits full turn capacity is when it should stop on its own. At least thats how mine is.

breton26

Seaman

Do you have any pics of your motor connection and also your drum setup?

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

If the cable comes off the drum either there is slack in the cable allowing that to happen, or, something is interferring with the cable and guiding it off the drum. Crawl up in under and watch as the wheel is turned lock-to-lock and maybe you'll see something.

breton26

Seaman

FM, I did not understand a single bit of how you tried to explain it in your earlier post. If I do even a little bit, from what I make of it you are doing it wrong. You only need to wrap it around the drum like 3 times. <br />SEND PICTURES of drum and everything else for us to help, Please.