What have I gotten myself into!

germack

Cadet
I have a 84 Bayliner Cobra that had a crunchy soft spot just between the front seats and thought I would just cut out that bit and put a new piece in to get through this year. :rolleyes: <br />I'm an idiot for thinking it would be so easy! I started by trying to be gentle with the carpet so I could re-lay it but found as I pulled it up the flooring came right along with it. :eek: <br />Now that I had started something I figured I should go all the way with it and now I have absolutely no floor at all in there. It was almost all rotted out. I'm pretty sure I can handle this with only minor amounts of curse words, but I am having a problem now with how to cut out the bits of fiberglass that were at the edges of the floorboard. What should I use that won't let me go all the way through the hull? Or should I continue chipping away at it with a chisel? I truly enjoy reading through these forums, You all have so much good advice. Thanks for your help!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: What have I gotten myself into!

Oh boy! Are you in for it now. Talk about opening a can of worms. :D <br /><br />Seriously, if you get a sense of satisfaction in working on things, you have taken on the right project. You will learn a lot and have a better boat for it when you are done. Just ask lots of questions as you go along.<br /><br />Here are three essential things you need to address your first undertaking. You'll want to grind off the residue of the floor/hull joint. <br /><br /> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=31309 <br /> <br /> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91208 <br /><br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=53151&item=7505618378&rd=1

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

A 4" hand-grinder would be better than the chisel.<br />Make sure you wear a dust mask.<br />This project will give you something to think about while driving. :)

germack

Cadet

Got the grinder from them a few months back. I will get the respirator from them tomorrow. I already have the body suits from work. Should I use an actual grinding wheel or just a sanding wheel?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Use the tip of the grinding wheel. Push along the seam with it. It's pretty easy to control the cut with it, using both hands on the tool. <br /><br />It will be messy so stay covered up and have your shopvac handy. If you can keep the vac hose moving along with your cut you will minimize the mess but you definitey want the respirator and coveralls.<br /><br />Also you'll want to vacume/blow out the vents in your grinder periodically. Don't let it get packed up with glass dust.<br /><br />Where are you in So Cal? Spent my first 42 years in the San Fernando Valley. Used to be paradise till the mid seventies.

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Truckerger, you must be on the road, wonderful life camping out every night, truck stop food, lot lizards.<br />Use the 4" grinder wheel, get on with the project.<br />You will have to rough up the bottom to put the new glass down any way. We are here to help, so don't hesitate to ask.

germack

Cadet

Originally posted by cc lancer:<br /> Truckerger, you must be on the road, wonderful life camping out every night, truck stop food, lot lizards.<br />Use the 4" grinder wheel, get on with the project.<br />You will have to rough up the bottom to put the new glass down any way. We are here to help, so don't hesitate to ask.
Not on the line haul anymore. Graduated to old fogey local guy. No more greazy food and getting woke up at all hours for a good time anymore. Thanks for your help!

germack

Cadet

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Use the tip of the grinding wheel. Push along the seam with it. It's pretty easy to control the cut with it, using both hands on the tool. <br /><br />It will be messy so stay covered up and have your shopvac handy. If you can keep the vac hose moving along with your cut you will minimize the mess but you definitey want the respirator and coveralls.<br /><br />Also you'll want to vacume/blow out the vents in your grinder periodically. Don't let it get packed up with glass dust.<br /><br />Where are you in So Cal? Spent my first 42 years in the San Fernando Valley. Used to be paradise till the mid seventies.
Boomyal I'm in the Inland Empire in No. Rialto It isn't all that great here anymore either, but it's sure close to work.

Moody Blue

Captain

Thought I would add my 2cents worth. I have found that using a flap disk works much better than a grinding disk when it comes to fibreglass removal. They are more expensive but give a faster cut with more control. I found that even the course grinding wheels tended to burn/plough there way along whereas the flap disks cut very effectivley. 24 grit for heavy material removal, 36 grit for clean-up and 60 grit for final prep.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by RodC:<br /> Thought I would add my 2cents worth. I have found that using a flap disk works much better than a grinding disk when it comes to fibreglass removal. They are more expensive but give a faster cut with more control. I found that even the course grinding wheels tended to burn/plough there way along whereas the flap disks cut very effectivley. 24 grit for heavy material removal, 36 grit for clean-up and 60 grit for final prep.
Can you find a picture to post RodC?

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer

For cleaning up the edge, I used a rotozip with a diamond wheel. It's fast, and very clean. You need to pay attention if you use that, though. I lost sight of the blade in the dusty mess, and cut my hull. Still, I'd say that if you take it slowly, the diamond blade is better than anything and very, very fast.

Indymike

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a diamond tipped blade in my 4-1/2" side grinder with exellent results for cutting fiberglass. This type of blade is commonly used for ceramic tile and masonry and it has a kerf of about 3/32. The blade will last next to forever. I don,t remember for sure but I think they are around $25.00.

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Indymike:<br />Will these blades cut wood? I have an odd job and if it will cut wood even slowly, it will save me time.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I used cutoff wheels for metal (4.5 inch angle grinder) on my project. Only one was needed, it never wore down, and cut like a laser. The downside to it cutting like a laser is that it could go right through the hull with no effort, so you have to be careful. It was very fast and efficient when I gutted my project, but a lot of dust was thrown. Good luck...

geekomatic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yup.Lots of dust and smoke with that cutoff wheel.The goggles fogged up on me and,of course, I could still see what I was doing as I ripped a gash right thru the hull.With no effort at all, just like you said. I meant to do that....<br />Didn't even know it until I took off the dough-covered goggles.It was just like a hot knife thru butter. You live and learn. Sometimes it will cost time and money, both of which I have very little,but I still enjoy the process.

Indymike

Petty Officer 1st Class

cc lancer <br />Yes they will...however they are not very good when it comes to wood. Tend to heat up and burn the wood somewhat.

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class

use a chainsaw, really! do a search on the subject.

Moody Blue

Captain

Boomyal here is a link for flap disks<br /><br /> http://www.mcmaster.com/ <br /><br />go to page #2537 to see a description and a variety of sizes and materials. These are my favorite accessory for the grinder. Only things I use now are cut-off disks and these flap disks.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by RodC:<br /> Boomyal here is a link for flap disks<br /><br /> http://www.mcmaster.com/ <br /><br />go to page #2537 to see a description and a variety of sizes and materials. These are my favorite accessory for the grinder. Only things I use now are cut-off disks and these flap disks.
I like em Rod, especially the angled flap discs. Do you get much life out of them. They look great for cutting that glass bond off the hull. Looks like they would just zip along the surface, not trying to dig deep.<br /><br />Which cutting media do you like best? and do they fit right on your 4-4.5 inch angle grinder?

Realgun

Commander

Ah now were talking my language! You need to look at my project in the link below. You will see what the bit of carpet holds together!<br /><br />1 Metal wheel? I used 10 or 15 Of those things! Of course I used it to cut everything!<br />Make sure you get a crowbar.