Can I paint my boat Canvas?

OMARiverRat

Seaman
Hello all. I have what may seem to some as a "stupid" question. I have a 1994 Crownline 225CCR, off-white (moonstone) w/ a large red band down each side of the hull. The snap-on cockpit cover is supposed to be a bright red, to match the band down the side of the hull, however it has faded over the years and looks more like a dull light pink color. I hate to spend hundreds to have a new cover made, so I'm wondering if this is something I can paint with some type of oil based or fabric paint? The cover itself is in very good condition. The snaps are all intact, and has no fraying or loose stitches. Please let me know your thoughts on this. Another avenue I've thought about exploring is having the canvas "Re-Covered" if at all possible, to save a few bucks. <br /><br />Thanks for your time guys.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Can I paint my boat Canvas?

I Can't feature that Paint would work....<br /><br />Take it to a Laundry Mat,+ ReDye it............<br /><br />Don't use Your own Washing Machine... Your Mate would Probably Kill You.......

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't know about painting, but I have a bimini top that is shredding and I have decided to try to make a new one using the old frame.<br /><br />Don't know if you have the sewing skills, but you could probably find someone to do the sewing if you have the materials.<br /><br />For supplies try http://www.yourautotrim.com Speak with Jason. I have mentioned these people a lot on these boards, but I swear I am not on their payroll.<br /><br />They have material for covers that runs about $15 a linear yard (60" wide) that is real good (they say it is the same material sunbrella uses). Even has a bright red.<br /><br />They also have the UV thread, edging and snaps you would need. I am looking at about $70 in materials to give me a large bimini top with top grade material vs. about $400 to buy one. Expect to spend about 4 hours sewing it. Not a bad investment.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I have used it in the past and has worked well,but I usually sold the boat shortly after so I cant speak for how long it lasts.You can get carpet/fabric spray paint at almost any auto store.I think it was duplicoler if I remember correctly.It took at least a few coats to get good coverage .You will have to spray the entire cover in one direction and after it dries you may be able to see the spray lines so you will go back and give a second coat in a perpendicular direction to the first coat.It worked well for me that way.I would also consider finding out about dying it as well.Charlie

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I used an oil enamal on some canvas which covers the bow of my boat (it's the actual fisnish of the boat - not a canvas cover). The edges that got painted but were not yet finnished are very stiff. I don't think it would work well for a cover at all.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I vote for fabric dye at the laundry mat. Should work the best. And its very inexpensive.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Paint won't work because it's a surface coating designed for solid surfaces. It'll crack or craze on a flexible surface like canvas.<br /><br />Fabric or carpet dyes are absorbed so they're the way to go.<br /><br />I'd do a test on a couple of very small inconspicuous areas first. The canvas may have been treated with something, like a waterproofing compound, that inhibits absorption. If it's broken down it might be stronger in some places than others and you'll get uneven results. It might also not be 100% cotton based canvas but include man-made fibres, which generally don't absorb fabric dyes well or at all.

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

If you can find a place that makes vinyl banners they should be able to supply a suitable flexible paint, I forget the brand name of the one I use but I can have a look when I'm in work on Monday.<br />I've done lots of hand painted banners and this stuff sticks like the proverbial, it's light fast, very flexible, and lasts for years.

Tinkerer

I didn't know about the vinyl banner paint. It'd have to be flexible to stay there. You might want to check that it'll work the same on canvas as vinyl isn't absorbent like canvas and is still a sort of solid surface in comparison.<br /><br />The other way you can make sure paint sticks is to paint something else and get the overspray or drops on your canvas because paint always sticks forever to surfaces it's not supposed to if it gets there by accident.

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

It will work on canvas, I've actually used it to waterproof canvas before, it forms a flexible skin.<br />I remember now the paint I use is made by Sericol (they are everywhere, just do a search on the name) but I can't remember the actual product name. I'll find out on Monday but it's basically a very thick paint/ink, available in gloss or matt finish in a wide range of colours.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by petrolhead:<br /> It will work on canvas, I've actually used it to waterproof canvas before, it forms a flexible skin.<br />I remember now the paint I use is made by Sericol (they are everywhere, just do a search on the name) but I can't remember the actual product name. I'll find out on Monday but it's basically a very thick paint/ink, available in gloss or matt finish in a wide range of colours.
Thanks. Very handy information to have. If it'll stick to vinyl it might be good on other shiny or plastic surfaces that require special preparation for normal paints.<br /><br />If I'd thought it through I would have realised that there's long been something that'll work on canvas because there were painted canvas banners before vinyl came along, and that was much older paint technology. I was fixed on normal paints.

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

Another place to check out is auto body repair shops, they have special flexible paints for repainting plastic and rubber bumpers (fenders) and other parts.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by petrolhead:<br /> Another place to check out is auto body repair shops, they have special flexible paints for repainting plastic and rubber bumpers (fenders) and other parts.
Just for info, if anyone is looking at using auto paints on plastic, there is a special primer for plastic parts that is different to normal auto primer. Paint won't stick properly unless you use the plastic primer.

AG

Seaman Apprentice

Yes you can. I recently built a duckboat and had a canvas blind put on last summer. My canvas guy strongly suggested that I paint it ASAP because most canvas tops are not UV protected.<br /><br />So I applied a parker's type boat paint (oil). No problems at all and I move the canvas a lot - no cracking.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

How many canvas canoes have been built, and painted?...alot...Chief

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Jack L:<br /> Don't know about painting, but I have a bimini top that is shredding and I have decided to try to make a new one using the old frame.
Not trying to hijack this post, but for those of you interested in making your own bimini, you can find some great instructions at Sailrite <- link to a PDF<br /><br />Also, for fabric, try Outdura