Painting questions. glassmaster update, started priming now link to pics of boat

bruiserman

Cadet
First, I plan on priming first of course but do I need to tip it or do I only tip the regular paint.<br /><br /><br />since I will not be leaving the boat in the water ever, do I actually have to use boat paint or can I use auto paints for the sides,top, and interior paint as long as I wash down the boat after taking it out.<br /><br />finally, how does one go about painting the bottom of the boat since the trailer is in the way and if you take it off the trailer what do you put it on?<br /><br />boat pics

Rudderman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Painting questions. glassmaster update, started priming now link to pics of

Personally, I would go with a marine paint like International Toplac or Brightsides. They are only meant for top sides (not under waterline) but they will be fine on the bottom so long as you don't leave the boat in the water for a few days.<br /><br />Get a hold of a "Painting guide" booklet by International. It explains all your options including paints and anti-fouling.

bruiserman

Cadet

Yes, the boat will never be left in the water. I will be rinsing off the boat after every outing. I was planning on using brightside if I have to but if I can use any paint like automotive that would save me a bit plus there are more colors to choose from. For the interior I can basically use any paint I like right?

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

If you don't plan to leave it in the water more than a few days at a time- yeah,, paint it like you would a car.

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

No need to tip the primer, just roll it on, but give it a light sanding before topcoating to give better adhesion and remove any dust.

bruiserman

Cadet

should I strip the old red nonfowling paint or just paint black over it. Not going to leave it in water, and I can't see the bottom, but if it will peel then I will just sand it anyway. Just have to find a way to get the boat off the trailer, have no clue. Will find a thread in here.<br />Later<br />B

jford

Recruit

Depending on the boat and trailer - find points to jack up on or hoist from overhead for long enough to do the bottom. As last resort do all but the contact points and shift over/back after dry and do the rest.

bruiserman

Cadet

thanks I appreciate the help. Planning on finishing the priming in the next couple days.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Go ahead and tip the primer. Its not that it needs tipping but its going to be great practice for when you do the bright coat. Really, how often do you get to practice it? This is your chance before you do it in some paint where it counts.<br /><br />By the way, we didn't even tip, in the conventional sense, our final top coat and it came out like a spray job. We did it by following up with a second, and much smaller, roller. My wife applied paint with the standard 9" roller and got it on as thin as possible. I then followed up with a wet, but unloaded, 7" roller with a felt cover. All I was doing was making sure no spots were missed and also catching any runs and redistributing that excess paint. The smaller roller's cover also left a much smaller dipple which laid down within minutes. The result was a near spray look, in fact better than many spray jobs I've seen.<br /><br />Here is is the day after the last coat - no fittings or rub rail back on the boat yet:<br />
coat4.JPG
<br /><br />Thom<br /><br />Thom

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

what does it mean to tip?<br /> thomwv: wow nice job!! you did that with a roller??<br />is there some special paint that "flows out" so you can't see the roller marks?

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

wow brusierman that looks nice, i did not know you could paint a boat with a roller, im hoping to save the original paint or gel coat whatever it is on mine

Realgun

Commander

JTK do you alway have to double post?<br /><br />Now that boat looks good the way you have done it. <br /><br />Tipping is- after you roll a square ft or so of paint on the surface you use a 2-4" wide soft brush and lightly use the tips with no paint to go over same area lightly. You drag the tips lightly through the paint to knock down drip runs sags etc. Ideally you will not get paint on the brush or much at all.<br /><br />Easy way to remove boat from trailer is to lower the front as far as you can. Under the transom edges you will need to use some 2x4 or 2x6 braced stands as high as the transom. You lift the front of the boat and the transom will now be free of the trailer.(Unless you did not remove the tie downs :) ) You then use a brace to hold up the front of the boat and move the trailer a little forward. You then move another brace behind the axle etc and continue forward with the trailer.<br />You can and should brace the sides as the trailer is moved out of the way.<br /><br />Hope this helps.

phatmanmike

Captain

what is wrong with double posting.......?

phatmanmike

Captain

......sometimes, you come back later, and wanna say something...again.<br /><br /><br />rolling the paint with a MOHAIR roller, i thinks this is what its called, makes it look noce and shiney. look at toms boat. but then again, what thom didnt mention is that his paint cost more than a small used car !!!!<br /><br />its called AWL-GRIP<br /><br />look it up! it aint anywhere even NEAR cheap, but look at the finished product. it looks better than new!

BillP

Captain

Be ready to tip with Brightsides in case it doesn't lay down. It's thicker (coverage 550 sq ft) than the high priced poly (800 sq ft)and doesn't lay down as easy without the brush. I roll/tip Brightsides and weather makes a big factor in the process. If too hot and dry it dries before leveling. Yachtpaint.com is International/Interlux and has instructions.

ThomWV

No question about it, it was the paint, not the painter. The first time I ever tried to tip paint was with Interlux Brightsides. I was so impressed with how well it worked that it got rid of my phobia about painting to tell you the truth. <br /><br />We did not end up tipping the Awl Grip simply because we found another way that worked as well (though no better) as was easier and more foolproof, also because it was faster.<br /><br />I guess I should be quite specific about how we did it, and now is as good a time as any. Here are all the things I learned, can remember, and think about the process. Please remember, I am a non-painter.<br /><br />I was using plain Awl Grip, not one of the EZ versions. The base was Awl Grip's 454 primer over the entire surface in one unbroken, but wet sanded (240 grit final) coat. We used 3002 Brushing Converter in the recommended 50% to paint ratio and then T0031 Reducer beginning at 25% for the initial mix (prior to the incubation period) and then more as we went along. <br /><br />Typically we loaded up the paint tray (use those cheap clear plastic throw-away liners) with just enough paint to load the roller two or three times, this was very little paint. The best results you can obtain from Awl Grip come when the paint is applied thin - thinner is better. You can not apply the paint too thin, but you get get the paint too thin with the reducer, so be careful. The two are not the same thing.<br /><br />As we used paint I added about one cap-full of additional reducer to the paint, in the tray, when we refreshed the tray, which was, once again, every two or three roller loads.<br /><br />If you have areas that have too tight curves to use a roller and require abrush be used just use the same paint right out of the tray. Brush out onto the flatter surounding surface and then use the roller to blend in, not the other way around.<br /><br />Pay the money for Badger Hair brushes if you need one at all or intend to tip any part. Shop around, prices vary wildly.<br /><br />My wife applied the paint. She's a painter at heart. She did so with a standard cheap roller handel using a GlassKoter quarter inch nap roller cover. These covers are made for applicaton of 2-part paints and will not fall apart with exposure to the paint as may covers will.<br /><br />Following directly behind my wife I used a smaller roller very much as one would tipping with a brush. The roller I used was 7" wide but I can not tell you the name of the covers used because I don't have one here. I got them at Lowe's and they are red. They are only about 1" in diameter and the cover appears to be velvet of some sort, with a nap of maybe 1/8" or less. I loaded this roller with paint and then went ahead of my wife and rolled it almost dry, then I backed up and used this paint-dampened roller to follow my wife. She applied and leveled paint, I covered any missed spots (she was trying to get it on as thinnly as possible) and caught any runs that might be beginning by redistributing that paint (rolling over it) so it would not run. Remember my almost dry roller could soak up any excess but still cover the missed spots. I also was lucky enough to catch the few bugs that got in there and fix those spots before they got bad as well as remove lint and fuzz.<br /><br />I liked this method better than tipping because you can apply paint faster with a roller than you can tip with a brush so the tipper can keep up with the primary roller. With conventional tipping of large areas its always a race against the clock because the paint is setting up every minute you are out there and the guy with the roller will always outpace the fellow with the brush. If you do it by yourself its hard to keep ahead of the paint kicking in the can.<br /><br />As to the cost of Awl Grip, yes it is expensive. I figured it was a full winter project and I knew we would have many hours of prep time in, and by many I mean well into the 100's between my wife and myself. So considering what we were putting into it there just didn't seem to be any sense in skimping on materials. After all, the difference in price between a cheap paint and the best paint was only a couple of hundred bucks. I'm almost 60 years old and if I'm going to be out there hand sanding every available hour for months on end I'm not going to skimp at the end. <br /><br />As I recall the primer cost me $150 a gallon for both the paint and an appropriate amount of converter (hardner) plus a quart or two of reducer. I should have bought more reducer - buy three times as much as you think you will need. The color coat is different stuff and uses a different converter. It does, however, use the same reducer. The color coat ran right at $300 per gallon if I remember correctly.<br /><br />We used more paint than we should have. That was the result of inexperience. We could have easily primed our 23' hull with a gallon of primer and painted it with two quarts of finish coat. As it is I have enough of the finish coat to paint the topsides, including everything above the rub rail, and one more coat down to the waterline, next spring. Because you thin this paint down to about the consistancy of milk and apply it as thin as a mist it goes a very long way.<br /><br />Lesson learned: Use measuring cups for everything. Strain all paint. Follow the instructions exactly (except use more reducer than called for). <br /><br />Keep something in mind as you do the prep sanding. You are going to cover this with a paint that is so thin and being applied so thinnly that it could not possibly fill any imperfection what so ever. All this paint does, and I mean all it does, is leave an incredibly thin and hard film of extremely reflective plastic all across the hull. So the sanding that is being done now is as good as the hull will ever get - this is where you control the result, not when you are applying the paint. I finally got it into my head that my paint job could be just as close to perfect as a wanted it to be and it was all in the sanding. Think of it like this. All the paint does is make the sanding shiney. The smoother you can sand that surface the better the shine will look. Nothing looks worse than a shiney rough surface (poorly preped paint job).<br /><br />Its the paint's reflectivity that you pay all the money for. Well, its durability too of course. The paint will last about 10 years, but during that time you will never wax it. At the end of the 10 year period it will look about like the same boat in Gel Coat would. The difference is you can rejuvinate the gel coat with a good wet sanding and compounding. You can't do that with Awl Grip. Its back to the paint booth. That is anouther down side of Awl Grip. You can't blend it. So if you suffer damage to the hull that requires repainting as part of the repair then the whole section will have to be repainted, not just a patch. In may cases on small boats that means that the whole hull will have to be repainted because there is no defined break point.<br /><br />Next tip: Start at the bow, about 6" from the pointy end, come around the point and then continue right on around the boat arriving back at the point. At the point what you will be doing is blending in the paint you first applied with that 6"-wide streak when you started. You can do it. The result will be an unbroken blend completely around the boat. The other options are to start at one of the corners of the transom or even right in the middle - if an ourboard is involved it will mask the blend.<br /><br />Next Tip: If it doesn't say 3M on the back of the sandpaper don't waste your money.<br /><br />Next Tip: Look around for a long hard rubber sanding block. Worth their weight in gold if you ask me.<br /><br />We were lucky in that we painted in the early spring. Our biggest problem was finding days when it wasn't raining and got warm enough. We also had another problem. We weren't the only ones looking for heat - so was every bug waiting to hatch in the eastern US. We beat the arrival of the spring bugs by just a very little bit. I am sure if we had been finishing up even a week later that bugs would have been a major problem. However if we were to have done it 2 months later it wouldn't have been so bad. After the first hard frost wouldn't have been bad either. My point is think about the seasons when you begin your painting project. It takes some time to prep that hull - probably more than you immagine - and then there are climatic concerns. I used to live in south Florida, I understand rainy seasons.<br /><br />Next thing: Where are you going to do all this? Water and electricity are really going to be almost essential. You are going to wash that boat 50 times before you're done. 3 of them will be before you even start just to make sure there is absolutly no wax on the hull. In prep I'd have to immagine that you will also be doing any small repairs that every hull needs. There is also that first sanding that is really to roughen the surface and commit you to the job - might as well do it with a small electric sander. This is going to take some time and you don't want to have to be moving the boat. Out of the way but accessable, with utilities, but probably best out of sight. I did ours parked right on a county road. I wish it had been otherwise.<br /><br />Oh, if you have a belt sander go ahead and sell it before you even begin this job - just so you won't be tempted to try to use it. The only electric sander you want on this job is one of those couple-of-inches random-orbit, no-power hand sanders that you can't do any real damage with. Put 240 grip paper on its little round face and skuff up the entire hull just for starters. The wet sanding will come later.<br /><br />And that's all I learned, in a rambeling sort of way. What have your experiences been? I know a lot of you must be recent first time painters too. How did it go, what did you figure out? What kind of paint did you use, how was it to work with?<br /><br />Thom

durangopprboy

Recruit

Thom,<br />Your paint jobs looks great. I was thinking of painting mine and after the way yours looks, I definitly am. One question, It looks like you used the same color coat on the entire hull even below the water line? I am just a lttle confused about what to use below the water line with what I am reading about anti fouling paints. I am in fresh water and at most the boat is in for 3 or 4 days at a time

ThomWV

Here is my thinking on that and how I came to fee about it as I do. First off the Awl Grip is not made for use below the waterline for any period of time at all. However I know of many cases where boat which are only in the water for a few days at a time, and then only occasionally, where there hasn't been any problem at all. <br /><br />When I painted mine I crossed over the waterline and have Awl Grip top coat paint that has been well wetted - but only a day at a time. Our typical fishing day consists of 12~14 hours in saltwater with a run of about 125~150 miles, 70 of those on plane. We did that all of last summer. My intention was to sand back to the waterline and then paint the bottom with another Awl Grip product.<br /><br />Awl Grip makes some stuff called Barrier Coat that is used to waterproof hulls and avoid blistering. It is white but lacks the lusture of the topcoat paints. So I will paint with it and then put on a black bootstripe right at the waterline. Haven't done it yet thought.<br /><br />I called Awl Grip about the barrier coat and using it as a bottom paint - for a person who does not want antifowling paint on his boat's bottom. Of course the guy said they could not recommend a paint for a purpose for which it was never intended. Then he told me that he personally knew of many trailered boats that were using it and that it held up to rollers and bunks and was holding up to being in the water for days at a time without any problems. Still, that is not what the paint was made for and they would not recommend it.<br /><br />The stuff is only sold in a kit. I bought one but I haven't used it yet. The kit (paint and hardner) cost about a hundred bucks if I remember correctly. The thing is its enough paint to put a couple of coats of paint on four boats the size of mine (23x8.5).<br /><br />Anyway I'm going to pull my boat off the trailer this spring and do the bottom.<br /><br />Thom