Consoles leaning in

Realgun

Commander
In removing the floor in my boat I removed the console pedestals even though they were not rotted but to get the floor out...<br />Now that a new floor is in I raised the consoles to the correct height but the frame glass is off by about 1/4" at bottom and 1.5" at the top. Will I be able to build a console under them that will allow the windsield to close? Can I use a hydrolic jack with a lot of care? Will screws or nuts and bolts with washers be better?<br /><br />I was told it would get easier and easier but all I do is post and work post and work!<br /><br />Thanks for the help peoples!!!!!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Consoles leaning in

You may have to loosen all the windshield mounting points and massage everything into place. It will take trial and error, there isn't a fool-proof easy way to fix it. Good luck with it...

D

DJ

Agree with Jason. Don't jack up anything until everything is loose. <br /><br />Jacking, without loosening things up, may break your glass.

Realgun

Commander

Dj the consoles have moved about 4 inches and nothing is loose. I will loosten then instead as I did not know they could be moved. I will have to take a real good look under the consoles.

Bondo

Staff member

It Sounds like you've already Raised them a little Tooo Far Now.......<br />That's Why the gap in the glass is "V"ing....

Realgun

Commander

Bondo you may be correct. Hmmm. I think I will build the bases and then loosen the windshield but I dont believe I can. Those bases are hard as there is only about 3-8" that is flat against the floor. The rest is against the hull. I did get some follower guages to help with that. The cardboard did not seem to work well as a template for me. <br /> <br /><br />If the glass breaks it breaks. I will be redoing the side glass anyway as I think there is too much and it is weight I don't need. Also it would be extremly hard to get in and out of the boat if I replaced it like the factory.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Realgun, I hate to suggest it but is it possible the sides of your hull pulled in while the floor and lower consoles were out? Some of the pictures on your website make it look like a possiblity by the way those consoles are sagging. I would measure both of those upper consoles up from a few angles and make sure they are both square with the floor. (A level won't do you any good on a boat on a trailer) Do the same for the sides of the hull. You can temporarily support the upper consoles in the right position with 2x4s or something cut to length while you build the lowers. And yes, loosen up the windshield frames for this and don't bother tightening them back up until the structural phase of your project is finished.<br /><br />Nice job with the floor. You're going to have a nice boat there if you keep it up like you've been doing so far!

Realgun

Commander

Actually I did exactly as you suggested. The console are now held up by 2x4's. They may not be parallel to the floor. I have not measured yet just eyballed. They are not off by much. I was thinking the same thing about the hull sides. I think the original consoles rested on the boxes underneath and were adjusted that way. The reason I say this is that the last screw out kinda cocked sideways and the console itself seemed to relax.<br />I know people are against the jack but I am not moving the sides more than 1/2 inch or so. Heck the consoles sagged 3 inches.

Realgun

Commander

Actually I did exactly as you suggested. The console are now held up by 2x4's. They may not be parallel to the floor. I have not measured yet just eyballed. They are not off by much. I was thinking the same thing about the hull sides. I think the original consoles rested on the boxes underneath and were adjusted that way. The reason I say this is that the last screw out kinda cocked sideways and the console itself seemed to relax. <br />I know people are against the jack but I am not moving the sides more than 1/2 inch or so. Heck the consoles sagged 3 inches.<br /><br />Should I take the boat to the lake to see if the sides relax better?

Realgun

Commander

UPDATE-----<br /><br />I have the floor finally installed and the pedistals for the front area is back. I did ues a 2x4 to spread the boat so the colsoles lined up perfectly then glassed in the pedistals. After they were in the consoles relaxed and once again they lean in.<br />I finally got the gumption to put the board in place under the consoles and I tried real hard but they would not line up perfectly.<br /><br />I had to have the wife help me and we were able to get it so darn close. Nope no cigar.<br /><br />So I got a wedge piece of plywood and raised the edge of 1 side and it seemed to help. <br /><br />So I put the plywood under the board that was holding up the console on both sides and bang it lined up!<br /><br />So guys forgive me I got the jack out. :D I jacked up the side till the wood was able to slide out from under the inserted board. <br /><br />I guess I just could not lift the consoles 1/2" higher like they needed because I was trying to use a screwdriver at the same time.<br /><br />It lined up perfectly!!!<br /><br /><br />Happy dance.

Bondo

Staff member

I Love a Happy Ending............ ;)

Realgun

Commander

I will post you a picture Bondo, you might like it. I did not realize the top of the glass was that high! and I was trying to get the consoles to line up straight across but thats not how they are.