pearl ( mica ) paint additive

self taut

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am nearing the point in which i will be painting my project boat.i have decided on the color scheme and have chosen to do a gel coat rather than a paint.mostly because i feel that a bad gel is more durable than a good paint.plus i can get a deeper shine with the gel.my though at this point is to use mica powder or pearlesent powder in order to add a but of personalization as well as a one of a kind look that i cant easily achieve with metal flake or a metalik paint.one problem however.i have been unable to find a reliable source for info or product.can you folks help steer me in the right direction?I would surely appreciate it.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: pearl ( mica ) paint additive

Any auto paint store that carries a major brand of car paint will have the powdered pearls your looking for to put in a clearcoat in about a dozen colors.<br /><br />If your color isn't a metalic already, it will just dissapear. If it is, and you put the pearl in it, it will lighten and change it the more and more you add.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by self taut:<br /> and have chosen to do a gel coat rather than a paint.mostly because i feel that a bad gel is more durable than a good paint.plus i can get a deeper shine with the gel.
As an old auto body and custom painter, I have to disagree with your choice.<br /><br />You will probably spray the gel coat on anyway, so I would suggest you use Dupont Imron instead if you are not going to leave the boat in the water for extended periods of time. I do know that Dupont does not guarantee Imron for below the waterline, but myself and many others have done it with very good results. The Imron is very durable, and very shiney. As to the pearl, if you just put it in the paint, you will just be waisting your money. It will disapear and you will never see it. The only way you are going to see pearl is if you put it in a clear coat. Also, do not use to much or it will look milky and be uneven, and hide the color underneith.

hkellogg

Cadet

Imron isn't made anymore to my knowledge, secondly any good clear coat will provide a much better shine and resist uv rays and fading better than any gelcoat would. And yes pearls are added to your clearcoat almost like a candycoat as some custom painters would call it. I would say you should look into house of kolor for pearls or flake or even exotic. Better for custom jobs than powder pearls by ppg and glasurit which are mainly pearls to add while mixing colors not to add a pearl

self taut

Petty Officer 3rd Class

my actual plan is this.use a white gel coat overall.for trim i intend to use a good clear with a tinting agent to turn it green ( with a small amount of metal flake to help set it off.i do not intend to have the green so dark or so thick as to compleatly cover the small areas of white in which it will cover.more of a glaze effect.then overall of this use a clear to ad a little depth and to help the pearl stand out a bit rather than using it on the first coat of clear where the color shift wont be as effective.then comes the second coat of clear with emerald green and a blue pearl added.debating on wether i will need an additional coat of clear over this.your thought here lube?oh and lube although i dont have the as extensive an experience as you in painting i did spend some time working in auto body as well.so im not going in totaly blind but all the tips and info you can post would be greatly appreciated...of course it would have helped if i had givin more info in the first post. and yes your right i intend to use the gel anyway.boat is about 26 yrs old and gel want in too bad a condition.but hated the color. brown with flake on a srotof champaign with flake.the deck had faded a bit and storage and livewell hatches were very worn. and have seen socalled professional paint jobs done in this area using good quality marine paint. top choice here is AWL GRIP. and the paints not hold up as well as the gel coats seem to.may just be a regional thing due to climate with odd chemicals in the air or just painters who dont know what they are doing.overall i simply feel more confident in using gel rather than paint.the boat will be trailered after each outing and wont spend more than maybe 24 hours on the water at a given time( camping trip)but even camping normally would trailer because of teens and drinkers.<br /> thanks for the posts and any other ideas comments tips advice or down sides please feel free to post them.not an expert at anything and always welcome the help.will get the pics up after i've finished with the gel coat. i really think it will turn out looking great.still in the never ending sanding stage right now.

ericm

Cadet

I use Imron every day at Mack Truck. It's still around...

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

yep i use Imron it to paint road equitment its still easy to get and with stand alot of abuse

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

hkellogg...I just bought some Imron clear 610P... hope it is still around... :)

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

.debating on wether i will need an additional coat of clear over this [/QB]
Definitly.<br /><br />Otherwise, if you ever sand, buff, rub out the finish, you'll make a mess of it by 'disturbing' the pearl.<br /><br />Put your pearl down with a bunch of reducer in a small amount of the clear. Then put on the other 90% of your clear.<br /><br />That way, small scratches, polishing, buffing, etc. won't break into the pearl and give you these weird looking 'halos' as they get cut off and exposed.

self taut

Petty Officer 3rd Class

didnt get to sand today,darnit, :D was leaning that way winger.your post put me over the top.another coat it is.thanks for the reply and the tip.