Upgrading 12" aluminum interior.

boltonranger

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 12' 2 seater rowboat w/ motor that I would like to change the interior on. It has a seat in the stern; and another in the center. The bow has a small low platform in the front which resembles a seat but is not.<br /><br />I enjoy spending time on the water and would like to make the interior a little less utilitarian. Maybe a small bench seat in the front. A place underneath to stow gear; perhaps a floor with some outdoor carpet. etc<br /><br />I've no idea how to begin or design correctly. How to fasten to the boat etc. <br />I have tools and am handy but lack experience with this type project.<br /><br />-Would anyone be able to offer advice or point to add'l. info on the net.<br />Greatly appreciate your thoughts.<br />-br

Bearcamp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Upgrading 12" aluminum interior.

Tell ya what, give me your email address and I'll sent you pictures of mine and explain exactly how and what I used to do it. Mine turned out great.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Take a look at my web page of course this is a 16' boat but you can see the underfloor supports, stringers, ribs ect, you can build these out of wood but keep in mind not to block the bilge so water can drain out. web page

richstick

Cadet

Bearcamp, can I get pics of your project? I've got a 14' Starcraft aluminum I want to turn from a bench seat type boat to a flat floor, casting deck. Nice deep boat, should work great, but I want to make sure I do it right!! thanks!<br /><br />richard.handrick@dot.state.wi.us

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by richstick:<br /> Bearcamp, can I get pics of your project? I've got a 14' Starcraft aluminum I want to turn from a bench seat type boat to a flat floor, casting deck. Nice deep boat, should work great, but I want to make sure I do it right!! thanks!<br /><br />richard.handrick@dot.state.wi.us
Take a look at mine of course it's got aluminum spars and ribs and you won't need all of them all you will need is enough to support your floor and can build it out of wood and whats nice you can take it out if you want and you still have all the hull support just don't build to far off the hull it will get top heavy. rebuild

davejnz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

marine grade stainless steel will be fine for fastening.Make sure you waterproof your plywood.Try to design the floor so it can be removed,you'll be glad after some bait finds its way under it and starts stinkin.Mine isn't even fastened down,just lays right on the ribs of my 14'aluminum boat.I think carpet is a PITA,it traps sand and water.I prefer non-skid type products rolled on the wood.

davejnz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Richstick,I just built a casting deck on my 14'Lowe aluminum boat.It extends all the way from the bow back 4' then slopes down another 2' right into the middle bench seat.Works great when your throwing the cast net,the bait slides right down the slope into the livewell in the middle bench.Its also got a hatch on the slope to provide lots of storage under the deck.If you need help with yours or want a picture of what i did,let me know.