Teak Care

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just wondered if anyone has had good luck varnishing over teak once its been cleaned.Everywhere I have looked just seems like everyone wants to sell you teak oil preservative.Will varnish actually hurt teak?

flashback

Captain
Re: Teak Care

Catchem, I have varnished teak for years, I am a masochist and love the work, seriously, if it is done right it is no harder to care for than teak oil or sikkens or any of the others, plus it looks a lot better.... trick is to coat it with epoxy resin with sun bloc added, coat all six sides 8 times with resin then sand fair and apply 6 more coats of varnish, for maint. just lightly sand and varnish every 6 mon. or as needed.. :) :) ;)

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Flashback,I thought you could do this but was't a 100% sure.Will give it a go.

flashback

Captain

forgot to ask you if your boat sits out in the weather everyday and how much teak are we talking about, I have a 21 ft chris runabout that has some teak accents on it (hatch rails, cuddy cabin door etc) that stays under cover when not in use, the teak looks as good as the day I put the last coat on and that was 2 years ago, I also have a 27 ft sail boat that stays in the water year round, it also has accent teak such as grab rails, toe rails etc., it requires a lite sanding and fresh coat twice a year but the epoxy was put on 7 years ago and keeps the wood sealed as long as you keep fresh varnish on top of it to protect it from sun... actually the varnish is like a sacrificial coat that must be renewed.......good luck with your project and don't forget to sand between coats............

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks,and yes I only have a bit of teak on the bow and some trim around the back.Not really a lot but still would like it looking good.Store the boat outside in winter.

flashback

Captain

There's nothing more beautiful than well varnished teak... none of the other coatings or oils will do what varnish does...........

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now do I need to put a stain on this before I varnish or will be ok naturaly?

ReelDrag

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got quite a bit of teak on my Proline. I went with the polyurethane. It's been 2yrs now and it still looks great. I just wax it once in a while. Whatever you go with just make sure the teak is absolutely clean and dry and sand it smooth. 5 or 6 coats minimum.

realboats

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Catchem, I'm in the process of refinishing my teak grab rails. I've had good success first sanding with 220 grit paper (or heavier sandpaper if the teak is badly weathered), then a good alcohol wipe down, and then 3 coats of epoxy to seal the wood. Let the epoxy cure for at least a week before doing anything else.<br /><br />When ready to apply varnish, clean the epoxy coating with a strong mixture of warm water and ammonia to remove the blush. Sand again with 220, and wipe down with acetone. Then follow the instructions on the varnish can. I usually apply 5 coats.<br /><br />The varnish I use is called Flagship by Pettit. It's UV resistance and durability is excellent and it lasts at least two years. The stuff is expensive but worth it.<br /><br />One word of caution: I know people who have varnished fairly new teak. Teak excretes oils for years, which will cause the varnish (and even epoxy) to crack and flake off. Since every boat I've ever bought had weathered, dried out teak, this hasn't been a problem for me. :cool: <br /><br />Regards,<br />Dennis

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys,I shouldn't have to worry about the oils because the teak is 17 yrs old.Pretty dry by now I would think.LOL.Have sanded my pieces down with 60 grit to get all the old varnish and stain out.Will now sand it with 280 to 300 grit and we'll go from there.Seems like the trick here is to really give it lots of coats and sand in between coats.Am I right on this?

realboats

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've heard you can overdo it with epoxy, but personally don't know anyone who has. With any kind of wood encapsulation, three coats has always been the magic number for me. I'm sure five coats will be fine, especially if you have to do any sanding between coats to correct for drips and such. <br /><br />I'm not sure if you're familiar with the mechanical vs. chemical bond with epoxy. If you put on your first coat, and let it set but not completely cure, then you don't have to sand before the next coat of epoxy. That is, if you can press your fingernail into the epoxy and leave an impression of it, then the epoxy is not completely cured. At this point, another coat of epoxy will bond chemically, which is considered slightly stronger than a mechanical bond. I don't believe the difference in strength is enough to cause you problems.<br /><br />If the epoxy is too hard to make a dent in, it's beyond that cure point will have to be sanded. Then it will bond mechanically. Epoxy generally doesn't reach maximum strength for at least three days, but is considered cured if that fingernail test can't leave a mark. Depending on how long you wait between coats with cured epoxy, you should give it a good scrub down with a scotchbrite pad and ammonia/water mix before you start sanding. This will also help keep your sandpaper from clogging with that waxy blush.<br /><br />I've never sanded wood to be coated with grit as fine as 300. My understanding is that you should have some "tooth" for the epoxy to grab onto. 220 or 240 works for me, but everyone is different and I could be wrong about the tooth theory. <br /><br />As for varnish, I've heard of people giving as many as 12 coats! I don't know what the limit is, but with flagship they recommend at least 5 coats, and that works fine for me. I don't enjoy varnishing, so the sooner it's finished the better. But, geez I do love to look at it when it’s finished! :D <br /><br />Oh, you asked about stain. I've never used stain on wood before epoxy. You'll find the teak turns a beautiful color on it's own as you coat it without any stain at all.<br /><br />If you ever do decide to stain, go with a powdered stain that you mix with alcohol or water. Epoxy doesn't stick well with oil-based stains. Once I stained some pine trim a Honduras mahogany color using water based stain, then did the epoxy/varnish coat and it came out fantastic! Most people couldn't tell it was pine because it was a very clear piece of wood. Of course, those who know wood can tell by the grain pattern.<br /><br />I hope this helps. Like I said, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Opinions and techniques do vary. What I've explained above is what works for me after about 15 years of boat building and restoring, but others may disagree and have a better technique. That’s all fine with me; we’re all here to share and give knowledge.<br /><br />Regards,<br />Dennis

flashback

Captain

don,t need stain, the teak looks great on its own. plus it will get darker with age...... :)