Restoring a wooden boat

KajKandler

Recruit
Hi there,<br />I'm thinking of buying a wooden boat to restore it and enjoy on a lake. I have not done this before, so I hope to find some advice from people who have been there and have done this.<br /><br />Here is a boat I'm looking at<br /><br />Auction at EBay<br /><br />It's dirt cheap, because it is in no seaworthy condition. What would you recommend to look for? Should I try to find a boat builder and hire him to inspect it before purchase? Where would you look for the right boat builder?<br /><br />How much effort would you estimate to restore a boat of this size from ground up? How much expenses in parts would you estimate?<br /><br />Thanks for your insight<br /><br />Kaj

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Restoring a wooden boat

Hard to tell much about what a boat like that needs without a good inspection. If it NEEDS a ground up restoration then you could well be looking at thousands...in hours and dollars. A lot depends on where you want the boat to end up.<br /><br />Unless you know exactly what is required and how to proceed, I would say that the best course of action would be to run away. Three to five thousand will buy a similar boat in good running order ready to use. Go boating now.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

That ones a gonener.<br /><br />If you had a trailer for it, and a background in working on that kind of project, you'd spend about 2 years in your spare time restoring it.<br /><br />At this stage of the game, if you want to re-do a boat, get something with a fiberglass hull that needs a floor, new transom board & a paint job.<br /><br /><br />And don't worry about the price. If you dig around, you can find boats like that for free. Sometimes, if you have a good poker face & puppy dog eyes, people will even pay you to haul them out of their yard.<br /><br />Ed.

Bondo

Staff member

Relentless is Right............<br /><br />That old Merc is an Antique.........<br />The Parts Issue wouldn't be "How Much"....<br />It would be "Where can I Find"...............<br /><br />I'd call that an "Advanced DIYer Project"(aka. Crazy).........<br />Not for the Beginner........

G DANE

Commander

I think I would follow Relentless and Winger Ed´s advise here. If there gets rot in plywood, lot have to be renewed. <br /><br />Look how this boat was covered ! I bet its been half filled with water the last two years. I did a little work on an old half rotten plywood 17 foot once - awfull. Keep an eye on glassfiber project boats - sort items by clicking on pricebar. You can for sure find something easyer wo work on.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

As fearless as I am towards projects, I too must say that this particular boat is basically firewood that is supporting a Merc. I would like to do a woody one day, but I am thinking 17 footer range. Wood boats present unique challenges that are not for the ameteur. If you are thinking classic lines, there are plenty of 'glass boats from the fifties and sixties that often only need wood structure replaced and new interior. As for the motor, parts are easier to come by than one thinks, and the old Mercs are solid motors that give reliable service once tuned up.<br /><br />Don't be fooled by the salty boati-ness of it, you will suffer endlessly unless you have a serious wallet, a stubborn will, and a whole mess of time on your hands....

crab bait

Captain

look in your local phone book for 'marine surveyors'.. that's what they're called..