cabosil or microfiber

coachmup

Seaman Apprentice
should I use cabosil or microfibers with epoxy to place my stringers?

ob15

Chief Petty Officer
Re: cabosil or microfiber

I think either would work fine. The fibers may be a bit stronger. Wood flour can be used also. Just remember that the joints need to be taped also. I would use 6" biax, 2 layers staggered. Make about a 1/2" to 3/4" fillet before laying the glass.

LubeDude

Admiral

It really depends on how much of a gap you are filling. Cabosil on its own when mixed with resin is VERY brittle, espesially if mixed with a little too much hardener. I wouldnt go over 1/4 " with cabosil.

coachmup

Seaman Apprentice

Lubedude<br /><br />That is what I was thinking cabosil is just cheaper. Thanks I will stick with fibers.

mutron77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mup,<br /><br />I just finished my stringer and deck work.<br />I can tell you that I talked to West system<br />and got some insight from the source.<br />I used 404 high density to glue in my stringers.<br />It is the stuff as far as strength is concerned, and I think it should be used in any areas that will be under repeated stress or torsion. However it is hard to get it to thicken up. The microfibers thicken up very quickly, and with less filler used, so you save a little money. It works really well if you use mostly 404 and then add some 403 micro at the end just to thicken it up to where you want it. One more advantage to 403 is that has good wetting out properties even when thick and is great for gluing wood. Remember that the more filler you put in, the less strong it will be. Mix it up super thick for fairing, and just thick enough for gluing. Make sure you mix small batches and dump it out on a board to give yourself more time to work. Use slow hardener if you can. Also make sure you thouroughly mix the epoxy before adding the filler. Now, go mix up some pooky.<br /><br />H90

play2win

Seaman Apprentice

Never really got the scoop on taping. So, put epoxy w/404 on bottom of stringer, let it goo out the sides, make a fillet down length of stringer, then what? When does tape come in, is it actually a kind of tape? Thanks, Michael

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey Horse,<br /><br />we do alot of blending of West fillers.... we go thru tons of 404 and 410 (we buy it by the box), not so much 403, 406 and 407.. one of our faves is about 30% 404 and 70% 410, makes for killer dense fairing compound with great adhesion and excellent sanding properties..<br /><br />and Play, i think they mean cloth tape. premeasured width rolls of cloth..

mutron77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ry,<br />30/70 404 t0 410. I'll make a note of that.<br />I have used the 407 for fairing. A funky kinda raspberry color. The 404 is the no nonsense choice for me too. The 403 can help thicken up the 404 at the end of a mix. West says that 404 and 403 are about equal in strength. 403 being the weaker. But you will use alot less 403 to thicken to the same consistency as 404 used in heavier doses.<br />So, maybe you get a higher resin to filler mix<br />with the 403 at the "peanut butter" stage which makes it comparable in strength.<br /> It seems to me that you can just keep adding 404 and it never gets really thick. The 403 also becomes coarse as you get it thicker (almost like a snow cone), while the 404 is a duller off white, but always stays smooth so your fillets look a little better.<br />By the way, in what endeavor are you using all these cases of filler??<br /><br />H90

crab bait

Captain

i don't know no number code ..i.e. 404.. <br /><br />but hands down the best for unseen glueing is milled fiberglass power..

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

H90<br /><br />fulltime mechanic and glass guy here. i use West on a daily basis.. we go thru about 100 gallons a year. everything from new decks to stringers, transoms, general repairs, etc...<br /><br />here's a couple recent projects. a floor replacement/ full resto on a 78 CC Dorie... new 1/4" composite deck. bedded/screwed to new core with a 404/403 blend from a notched trowel. tabbed at the seams, bodywork over the bandaids done with that 404/410 blend.<br />
dorie_floor1.jpg
<br />
dorie_floorpaint.jpg
<br /><br />and a door frame rebuild with a solid composite block down low (to insure no future water damage) fingered into new ply.... <br /><br />
taiwandoorcut.jpg
<br />
taiwandoorcomp.jpg

BillP

Captain

Ryoken,<br />Nice work. What are those west fibers made of? I used their cotton/linen fibers with epoxy years back and it worked great and mixed fast. I was looking for those fibers last year and west doesn't list them anymore.

mutron77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice pics Ry,<br />It takes alot of time and patience to do that kind of quality work.<br />What type of gear do wear using that 105 every day?<br />Do you use a barrier cream? Even with latex gloves I always seem to get it on my hands somehow and it is hard to get off. I use white vinegar which works well, but West says not to use solvents to get it off your skin because solvents break down the protective layer on your skin and then the resin can get into your system. I've never had a reaction, but I still want to cut down the exposure to this stuff if I will be using it alot.<br /><br />Hey Bill, give West system a call and ask for "technical assistance" They will hook you up with one of their epoxy gurus that will be able to answer any questions you have about West System products and how to use them. <br /> <br />H90

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys....<br /><br />bill... wests terminology is slightly different than the normal terminology.. heres their chart..<br /> 404 High-density <br /> 406 Colloidal Silica <br /> 403 Microfibers <br /> 405 Filleting Blend <br /> 407 Low-density <br /> 410 Microlight™<br /> <br /><br />H90 - i do the same, i basically just wear latex gloves. i have to clean off occasionallly with a little lacquer thinner her and there.. its a concern, but i tend to worry more about dust and overspray. i have lots of respirator "systems" but its a daily battle not breathing that garbage in...<br /><br />and try that 410 out.. makes a much nicer fairing compound than 407. i tend to only use 407 when i'm out of 410.. you can actually see a little 407 on that doorjamb, prior to tabbing...

mutron77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll definately give that a try. Try that white vinegar to clean up your hands and spills. It works great and is cheap an much less harsh on you skin.<br />You can alo use it on salads!!!!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />H90 <br /><br />
bearsdance.gif