Fuel tank pitting on bottom

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just gutted my 20'Tempest to redo the rotted wood.Took the 35 gallon fuel tank out and noticed a bit of pitting on the underside.Sanded it down and pressure tested it with dye and water and have no leaks.Just wondering if there is something I can use on filling in the pits to prevent any deeper corrosion and keep the tank integrity.The tank is aluminum.Any and all help appreciated.Thanks. ;)

D

DJ

Re: Fuel tank pitting on bottom

If you ar going to permanently glass that tank in, I would replace it.

18rabbit

Captain

Replacing the fuel tank now is quick and easy. But it may not be necessary, just good insurance. :) <br /><br />Sand and clean the aluminum, fill minor pitting with MarineTex.<br /><br />If you don't know the source of the pittng, it may continue in other areas and a new tank would afford a longer life, but even it will fail ... eventually. If you are sure your boat is going back together appropriately you may be able to keep using the same tank, depending on the degree of pitting. Note my use of the word "minor" above. :)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by 18rabbit:<br /> Replacing the fuel tank now is quick and easy. But it may not be necessary, just good insurance. :) <br /><br />Sand and clean the aluminum, fill minor pitting with MarineTex.
They make a liquid MarineTex for just that purpose. When I pulled my tank (29 y/o), I had the same pitting but no leaks. I contacted MarineTex on that very same question. They said:<br /><br />Good Morning John,<br /><br />The Marine Tex will work great on resurfacing and protecting your aluminum<br />tank. My suggestion is to clean the entire area with acetone or lacquer<br />thinner, then sand, and clean again. Mix the Marine Tex in the proper<br />proportions and trowel onto the surface. You can smooth the area with a<br />small amount of water on your trowel to relieve you of sanding later.<br />There is no need to apply Gluvit over the surface, as it is not impervious<br />to gasoline (Marine Tex is.) The Marine Tex will resurface and seal the<br />area to protect it from any future corrosion. If you feel more comfortable<br />using a liquid product to seal the tank, we do make a Liquid Marine Tex<br />which is sold by Boat US and most local dealers.<br /><br />Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any additional<br />questions.<br /><br />Sincerely,<br />Kristy Gillen<br />Rec. Marine Sales/Customer Service<br />ITW Philadelphia Resins<br />Phone: (215)855-8450 ext. 113, Fax: (215)855-4688<br /> http://www.marinetex.com/ <br />----- Forwarded by Dave Borzillo/itw on 05/05/2004 03:08 PM -----<br /><br />If there are no leaks in the tank, go for it.

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boomyal,thats exactly what I'm looking for.The pitting was caused from water in the bilge over a lot of years.None of the pits are very deep but I do just want to cover them up to prevent further errosion.Thanks to all for the help.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Catchem:<br /> Boomyal,thats exactly what I'm looking for.The pitting was caused from water in the bilge over a lot of years.None of the pits are very deep but I do just want to cover them up to prevent further errosion.Thanks to all for the help.
You mean like this Catchem?<br /><br />
017585.jpg

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow.not quite that bad.Looks like you got some work ahead of you.Have fun.Going thru the same thing right now with my own.