Worthy of a Project?

BigDiesel

Seaman Apprentice
I am a newbie, so let that color your response appropriately.<br /><br />Last week I bought my first boat, a 15' fiberglass 1963 HydroSwift with a 1976 85 hp Mercury outboard. The interior is relatively clean, but the previous owner painted it white. The seats were replaced maybe 3 yrs ago and the boat seems to be in good condition ... no leaks, good compression and the motor runs strong. The exterior paint has faded badly and the wood supports for the seats have begun to rot. The floor was re-carpeted when the seats were replaced so I cannot see the floorboards, but there are no soft spots nor creaks. In general, the previous owner took very good care of the boat. I paid $800 for the boat, motor, and trailer I paid another $200 for a tune-up and to have the shift linkage adjusted (there was no reverse). I asked the mechanic if I got a good deal and he said that the boat itself was worthless, but the engine was worth $1500. The problem (??) is that the boat has a flat hull and from what I can gather, people just do not want these. The boat is fairly large and is rated for six people (see photo at http://film2000.free.fr/hydroswift.jpg). I took the boat out twice and she does go, however when you hit a big wave from a water ski or other boat, the boat does pound it (first time it scared the heck out of me!). The boat also seems to easily rock in the water when you are walking around, but I guess this is normal with small boats.<br /><br />So why am I writing this post? Well, the boat that I really want is a 2003 Bayliner Capri, but the $13K is not happening. After doing a thorough reading of this forum, I believe that I can sand, prep, and paint the HydroSwift, which would improve her appearance 100-fold. What I do not know is if the boat is worth the effort, especially given the mechanic's comment and the pretty new boats that I see when I go boating. If I restored the boat, I would like to rebuild the seat supports (they look like 1x6's), add upholstery (vinyl) to the inner walls, wire in a fuse panel, add a permanent gas tank, and add a speedometer and tach. For those of you who have finished projects, what do you think? Should I just sell this boat and wait until I can afford something better?<br /><br />Also, since the boat did not come with a tach and speedo, how difficult are these to add? I mean, where do you find the pickup sensors?<br /><br />Thanks very much!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Worthy of a Project?

I spiffed up a 17 ft 1963 Pacific Mariner with 1963 Merc 85 horse. I had the same flat-ish hull with V-entry that was popular for that time period. I put a good amount of work into it, mostly cosmetic, and I got three good years out of that boat. I sold it for $1300, and I had probably put about $1200 into it, including the purchase cost. The boat served it purpose well except for the pounding, that was the only thing I did not like. I built Project Skanky Beast, and that boat does exactly what I need it to do.<br /><br />The moral of my story is, use the boat, have fun with it, and always know you will never make money on it, but the years of use you get out of it are worth more. I would keep it and use it, and save up or whatever for the Bayliner, and sell the other boat AFTER you get the boat you want, that way you are always in a boat. If you think you can sell it and save the money toward another boat, don't even think it. The car will need new tires, the dishwasher will need a new kanuter valve, you name it, and the money will be gone, as well as the boat. The fun you have with the boat is beyond monetary value. Just don't go on windy days, or just slow down....

BigDiesel

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks JasonJ, I have read the posts on the Skanky Beast and I really respect what you have done.<br /><br />You made a valid point in that I can earn my sails, so to speak, with this boat and then I'll be ready for a better boat (I already learned that not watching the depths can lead to serious motor stuck in the sand).<br /><br />I understood your vote to keep the boat, but what is your opinion about doing the upgrades that I want? Do you recommend using the boat as it is? If I kept it, I would at least have to paint it ... the hull is too faded.<br /><br />Thanks!

93bronco

Ensign

hey, cant sea your boat either. link isnt working

one more cast

Captain

Go for it. The feeling you get when your finished is the best.(I think its called PRIDE)something not enough people have now adays) I've never done a boat but have done many Bikes.

JasonB

Lieutenant

Agree with OMC and JasonJ.<br /><br />I would redo the boat since I enjoy working on them as much as using them. If you have a small river close by, take a crruise on it. That's where the flatter hulls shine. I love taking my tri-hull out on the river, but avoid the choppy lake.<br /><br />If nothing else, learn on this one, then you will know what you want in your next boat and how to operate it.

SoulWinner

Commander

I think you got a great deal :D Tacks and speedos are not too tough to install if you are handy with tools and follow instructions. I installed a fish finder to use primarily as a depth sounder and was a piece of cake :) Enjoy your boat, she's a beaut :) <br />SoulWinner

jamiewashere256

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First off, nothingis worthless. Everything is worth something to someone. Get a new mechanic.The boat seems to need little, so go for it. You can get a depthfinder that has a secondary transponder that will tell you speed. If te boat has a 12v charging system you can get a led tach for about $50 at most auto parts stores that simply wires to the ditributor, no gears involved. (They look cool too!)You can even get units that have temp/fuel/ oil pressure etc in this same style. Its a nice looking boat and sure it's not a 2003 Bayliner but you have something unique, and once yopu paint it and fix it up it will be very special to you. Check out www.yachtpaint.com for painting tips. Good luck.

NathanY

Commander

Where you gonna mount the trolling motor, and the pedestal seats? :D

boating brad

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey i was expecting something ugly, but that boat in my opinion, looks great! id run the hell out of it and fix it up in the winter. you got a great deal!

BigDiesel

Seaman Apprentice

Wow, thanks everyone for the response and support!<br /><br />OMC: I have restored two bikes myself, which is why I am even considering this project.<br /><br />SoulWinner: Thanks!<br /><br />Star: I have found a used tach that supposedly plugs into the control box. I'll see if it works when it arrives. I did not think of using a depth finder as a speedo ... great idea, THANKS! Hey, I thought that one was supposed to never use auto parts on a boat? I would really like to have a fuel gauge on the dash, am looking to find an aftermarket system. The yachtpaint link is terrific ... THANKS!<br /><br />Specks: Yeah, I kind of like the hardware. I was going to replace it to be more modern, but I will take your advice and leave it alone.<br /><br />Nathan: Currently she has four folding seats (the two front seats swivel) and the transom bench seat. I am considering replacing the four folding seats with two pedestal seats in order to create more room. Don't know if the pedestal will cause me to sit above the windshield.<br /><br />Catfish: Thanks for the reassurance. I am planning to take her out quite a bit this summer, just for the experience. This winter I will do all of the mods.<br /><br />Questions to All: <br /><br />1) Will installing a bow gas tank change the boat's handling?<br /><br />2) During the tune-up, the mechanic told me that the Mercury has a "long stalk" and it should have a "short stalk" for that particular boat. He said that this is why so much water comes up behind the Mercury when I am planning. He offered to build a support (aluminum and wood) on the transom to raise the Mercury 4 inches. Does this sound kosher to you?<br /><br />3) I want all of the interior surfaces to be covered with vinyl (with padding underneath). Is there a particular vinyl I must use and does anyone have a reference for upholstering with vinyl? The straight edges I can do, the contours I do not know.<br /><br />Thanks again!

chunkytrout

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, that olde girl is too cool. Have your way with her, learn, and have alot of fun. Tank up front is a tricky issue. I did it to my tri-hull and it helped alot but might be different for your boat. What's 12 gal of gas weigh? Find something close and throw it up there. See how she runs at all speeds. I would say for 8 bills, you got a good deal though. Nice boat, keep us posted. PS The only good Bayliner is an old Bayliner (IMO)<br /><br />chunky\

chunkytrout

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, that olde girl is too cool. Have your way ..........whoa, double post!

Specks n Reds

Chief Petty Officer

HydroSwift <br /><br />#3 Vinyl<br /><br />It comes in a marine grade.<br />The backing on this is mildew and rot resistant

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Here are a few pics of the 1963 Pacific Mariner with 1963 85 hp Merc. I did not paint the boat, I simply buffed and waxed the hull. The upper deck would not shine at all, no matter what I did, but I accidently got spar varnish on it once, and it shined up pretty good, so I spar varnished the entire upper deck. It stayed shiny the entire time I owned it, and it was cheap and easy. Your boat looks pretty good, I would just do the things you mentioned to make it more livable, don't bother with paint. Try compounding it and buffing it out, you would be surprised how good they can look, and it is far less work that prepping for paint.<br /><br />
boatdock6.jpg
<br /><br />
sellboat3.jpg

BigDiesel

Seaman Apprentice

Jason, she is a real beaut! I love that wood insert in the dash! I already had plans to take a thin strip of oak, water proof it, and try to install it on the dash.<br /><br />There are a few places where the paint has chipped on my boat so I really want to paint it. Also, I want to put a blue strip on the side.<br /><br />The hull looks like it has a very old layer of varnish on it. I used a boat cleaner, but it did nothing. For the summer, I would be willing to try compounding and buffing. What did you use as a compound?<br /><br />Thanks!

BigDiesel

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Chunky:<br /><br />I was thinking that the bow tank might help with the boat pounding waves and it would be easier to refill the tank. Thanks for the idea of putting weight up there first and testing it out.<br /><br />-HS

boating brad

Petty Officer 1st Class

hydroswift. about that longshaft issue, the cavitation plate on the motor should be level or close to it, to the bottom of the transom. if your 4 inches too low you might see if somebody would trade outboards with you! just a thought. :)