marine plywood- treated or not

93bronco

Ensign
found this article by the APA while researching marine plywoods. if you go to the bottom of the page and click on 'wood-plywood index' you will also more info on where to buy in certain states.<dont know if its current> just thought it was good info.--- web page

jomac

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: marine plywood- treated or not

Good site, saved to Fav. :D

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Basically what the article says is you must use marine grade pressure treated ply that has been redried. Lumber yard pressure treated is a bad thing because it has not been redried. I wonder if they used poly or epoxy in their tests. I assume it was poly, since boats are usually not manufactured with epoxy. Kinda disproves that "Poly is not a glue and does not bond with wood" statment that gets thrown around on here once in awhile...

Kenbo

Seaman

The comment in the study regarding the failure mode of a fiberglass bond to plywood using commercial resins is consistent with my experience. Poly resin can, and does bond well to plywood as long is it is done properly. Kudos to 2K BOAT for finding the documentation! :)

93bronco

Ensign

jasonj- what i understood it saying was, that treated lumber must be redried before it could be considered as a boat building wood.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Thats what I said.. :) Now, I wonder if it must be dried in an oven or whatever, or if natural drying is sufficient. Not that any of this matters in my case, I am a little past the needing wood stage in my project...

93bronco

Ensign

ive been in either home dp or lowes and did see a stack of treated would that said it was redried after treatment. will have to go back for more info.<br />JJ-boat in water yet?

crab bait

Captain

like i say "polyester is not a glue an truley does not bond well to plywood." is a statement i learned from books an different web sites that i read when i was doin' research on boat buildin'.. <br /><br />like i said ,, i didn't make it up myself..<br /><br />here's a few ,, red rock store resin <br /><br />www.bateau.com/help/faq.htm bateau boats <br /><br />just here to help..