78 glastron T-166 sportster xl

93bronco

Ensign
after viewing jasonj's & jasonb's work on their trihulls, i figured i would get this boat back.<br />my buddy i sold it to, thought he had it sold for the past year but never got paid. so when he bought back to his house i got to looking at it and decided to trade my hi-tec retreads for it, <no great loss there><br />-<br />anyway- all the stringers & transom are shot. i pulled up a section of floor to find the foam 2x4's floating. so we tilted it up as far as it would go and supported it to drain whatever water til i can get back out there with the camera & tape measure to start my photo library.<br />its still got everything except the gas tank which im trying to get back.<br />i just figured before i tackle something big <br /> <like my trophy> i should start out small. <br />been wanting a smaller boat for the canals, lakes and upper river due to all the under water objects. when im done with it ill either give it to my dad or daughter.<br />-<br />heres a question- isnt there supposed to be a drain in the center under the floor to aid in keeping it dry in the srtinger area? or was this a design flaw?<br /><br />what is the best way to seperate this hull?<br />-<br />looks like the water damage was caused by the replacement of back to back with pedestal seats.<br />being there was no added support & holes not sealed water just leaked into stringer area. it was no wonder the boat was so heavy.<br />-<br />i know trihulls arent supposed to be the best riding, but every boat has sometype of flaw.<br />and ill sacrafice ride for stability when anchored.<br />if new it would exactly like the one in brochure.<br />thanx<br /><br /> www.classicglastron.com

chunkytrout

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 78 glastron T-166 sportster xl

My V176 Tri-Hull has weep holes at the front bulkhead underneath the column and at the well back at the transom allowing water to travel through the hull.

JasonB

Lieutenant

The hard part about separating the hull on that boat is where Glastron glued the Splashwell to the transom. I ended up cutting the splashwell out. In hindsight, that was a bad plan. Otherwise, pull out the rubrail, get out the electric screwdriver and go nuts. You will want to pull the windshield (corroded botlts under the dash) and the steering/controls. Fortunately, there's not too much in the way.<br /><br />There are drain holes through the boat, but if they are like mine, they were clogged.

93bronco

Ensign

as soft as that transom is, it should just break free. <like the worst area you stuck your screw driver in>. the original guy i got it from put an aluminum support plate on the transom for that reason.<br />-<br />but cant you get up under there with a cut out tool and just cut a line in the upper transom area to help it seperate alot easier?<br />-<br />ive got to go to harbor freight and get a cheap tarp to put over it & set off about 10 foggers.<br />that spider that jumped on me yesterday had a body as big as a roll of 35mm film. with all that water that been in there for the past year, its become a nice home to everything that crawls or slithers.<br />-<br />one thing that is missing on the windshield is the center plexiglass, with aluminum frame. does that look like something that can be frabricated?<br />thanx

JasonB

Lieutenant

You can get up there some, but that area of my transom was still somewhat solid. It took me 3-4 small pry bars to finally pop it loose. Just be careful, the bedding is thin between the wood and the splashwell. I nicked the splashwell in 3-4 places tring to get it loose. The FG is also thin/thick is odd places.<br /><br />That windshield section probably wouldn't be too bad to fab. It's just an alum frame with pglass insert. When I can, I'll get my tape measure and digicam out and get you some info.<br /><br />I'm thinking about fabing a couple low profile windscreens for mine. Haven't decided yet.

jomac

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Practice run! 2K If its has roten as you say, it might just pull apart ?ell I'd try that first :rolleyes: Good Luck! Post some pics

93bronco

Ensign

yea,i figured id try this first before the big one.<br />that way i will have an idea on what to expect.<br />got some pics i took in shop rite now should be back weds. when i work on it im going to get it out into the sun to get it out from underneath all the trees.<br />-<br />do i need to seperate hull before i pull up floor, or can i pull up floor than seperate hull?<br />-<br />after looking at the glastron site, i was amazed that is was that imformative. that kinda set me in motion.<br />-<br />there is one hole in bottom where they went through while installing seat <nickle size>.<br />thanx

JasonB

Lieutenant

The floor will come up without hull separation, as will (possibly) the stringers. The transom is a no go until the top comes off, unless you are really creative and patient, LOL.<br /><br />When you go to pull the top, make sure to remove the 8 or 10 bolts in the bow area. If yours is like mine, there is a pair on either side of the walkway, a pair above each cushion against the consoles, and a pair in each storage locker, below the latches.

93bronco

Ensign

thanx, i was going to ask where all the hidden fasteners are at.<br />-<br />while lookin at konron's post- flyboym brought up a point that the trihull <or any for that matter> should be properly blocked/shored up so that the hull will stay/return to it original shape.<br />-<br /> what is the best way to do this? <br />i know when i get all this rotten wood out and lighten it up i need to replace all 4 of the bunk board brackets, and clean up the trailer.<br />-<br />so would it be better to replace the stringers 1st before seperating the hull or after?<br />and should it be on or off the trailer?<br />thanx

JasonB

Lieutenant

I pulled the deck first thing. I was lucky that my trailer held the shape of the boat almost perfectly. Hint: wait until you pull the deck off to remove the ski pockets, the padding below the rail, and the padding in front of the splashwell. Makes it a cinch to get to. An air ratchet makes it even easier. I can also say, that if you need to replace the padding in these items, half a fun noodle is a near perfect fit..... <br /><br />I did pull the heavy windshield to keep stress off the deck.<br /><br />As for fasteners, once you get those bolts out and the 5000 screws behind the rubrail, the only thing holding her together is the transom eyes and the bonding agent/fiberglass on the transom.<br /><br />One warning, if you have to replace the big front bulkhead, the one that form the walkthrough and that the consoles are bolted through, be careful as it does NOT stand straight up in mine. I made the mistake of standing it up, when it was really supposed to be at a very slight angle. I didn't discover my screw up until I set the deck back on and it didn't fit right. It tilts slightly toward the back of the boat. Chances are, you will have to replace it as the drain holes are likely badly clogged and you will probably find a bucket of slime at its base has rotted it in half. Nor does it glass all the way up the sides of the boat. You'll see why when you pull the deck. Been there, done that....

93bronco

Ensign

lets see if i can post these 2 pics of the T166<br />i tried 8 times no luck. will keep trying <br />--<br />there has to be an easier way to get thing into this post. its 10pm.
fc00081c.jpg

93bronco

Ensign

one more time for the night
fc000e56.jpg
<br />-<br />hope this works

93bronco

Ensign

had been trying to open up a new site but cant get it to work. but here is the boat any way.

93bronco

Ensign

i worked on getting some of the water out this weekend. removed a small section of wood that seperates the front and rear bilge area, just to find nothing but a oily silt&sand combo.<br />- <br />i was expecting to find some tye of plugged drain, but there is none -that i can see.<br />i only did one small section that was about 2.5 gals of the crap. aint no wonder that its so heavy.<br />-<br />the inside of the transom justs peels like a stack of wet newspaper. so that shouldnt be a problem when i go to seperate the hull.<br />-<br />just a update

JasonB

Lieutenant

Sounds like you are on your way. If I can help, let me know. I'[m taping mine for the stripe now.

93bronco

Ensign

yea, i took some pics on how bad it was. waiting to get them developed.<br />-<br />do you have a pic of what is actually under the wood where the gas tank sits?<br />in that horseshoe area were the water is supposed to go, it is completely sealed.<br />wouldnt be better to have a drain hole there so that any water underneath the floor could drain into bilge area?<br />seems to be a builders flaw, that led to standing water under the floor. i know they didnt plan to have water under there, but it happened.<br />thanx

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I don't know why, but I look at that boat and it just says to me: Center Console. All skanky old tri-hulls should just be unilaterally converted to center consoles or something else more usefull.. :D

93bronco

Ensign

yea i here that call myself.<br />still waiting on your total outcome. ride,how it sits in water, overall feel. any regrets or shoulda-woulda-coulda's.