How about a VW "Bug" Boat?

Rich-ard

Cadet
I have a collection of old VWs, some complete, others for parts. The motors can be used for many things: generators, sawmills, etc. I know most car engines turn the wrong way to be used in a boat. At 1:30 in the morning, and you can't sleep, these are some of the things you think about. An aircooled Bug engine in your boat. Sounds like something you see on the Red-Green show. If nothing else it might be a good anchor for someone with a Yacht. Kerplunk!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: How about a VW "Bug" Boat?

Not a VW motor guy but think some engines can be converted to turn the other way.

Jango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nothing wrong with Left Hand Rotation. Had a Ford Flathead in a 15ft Boat in the 50,s. Ran good. If you can cool it, would be an easy installation - no marine water cooling. Use a 1 in. Dia shaft, thru the bottom at a 12 - 15 degree angle and you'r in business.

DP

Petty Officer 1st Class

The VW engines work OK in small air boats but they are many problems to consider in an inboard installation.<br />The most important is the fact that it will be bomb waiting to explode. I know of no source for marine carburators, fuel pumps, alternators and starters for these engines. Unsealed starters and alternators do not get along well with gas fumes.

Jango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BW17MT has a good point. I guess you would have to keep the "Bug Engine" uncovered like a Drag Boat.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would think the more important item would be air flow to keep it cool. Now if you have any VW diesels in that pile I hear they make a decent marine motor.<br /><br />Bob

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've always heard Bugs float. I had 3 or 4 different ones as a teenager but I know they wouldn't float because they didn't have much of a floorpan in them. If you got a good one and it floats, just make some paddles for the rear tires. Rig it up with a button in the dash and as you drive into the water, hit the switch - Kinda like James Bond :D <br /><br />BL...

sloopy

Commander

Jesy James (westcoast Choppers) did a show on discovery channle (6 shows) were they would take cars and make them ito stuff in one week with three thousand dollars. They transformed a 98 bug beetle into a air boat. the cool thing is is that it has to look stock@!

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

With a little research you could find the world war 2 german VW that was built to go across rivers and lakes and such.<br /><br />It had a prop. on the back that would lower down (at least i am guessing it lowerd down) and a gear shift on the inside (i guess kinda like a four wheel drive shifter) that would transfer power to the prop.<br /><br />I saw it in an old issue of VW Magizene about 10 or so years ago with three other VW's from the axis side of the war.<br /><br /> :cool: IT WAS COOL...I WANT ONE!! :cool: <br /><br />Derwood

evilwind1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

very interesting idea ! I had thought about doing the same thing last year when my brother gave me a1974 Karmann Ghia. When I was tossing the idea around with some knowledgable boat guys they said the same thing about gas fumes, electric anti spark conversion coast guard regulations etc. it seemed to be too complicated. Then I thought about taking a fiberglass repro ghia body, putting it on an aluminum frame ( for lower weight and anti corrosive properties)sealing it all off,then configuring the transfer case and propshaft. I have some experience with customizing,paint, welding etc and had drawn up many plans and sketches for this project but as things go had to put it on a back burner as family/household things took precedent. Anyway I may look into reviving project idea over winter,willpost. EVILWIND1

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

just set the vw on a poontoon , cut the floor for wheel opening , use transaxle to drive paddle wheels