A question for Don - why is silicone a no-no?

Darkhorse1201

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Don, sorry to call you out on the board but I follow your posts as you are probably one of the most knowledgable guys on here (and why not - you do it for a lining!!!) but I have noticed that you often say that no silicone should be used. I am in the process of putting a boat back together and have used silicone in the past for various things on boats and was wondering why you are against the use of silicone? Thanks, oh learned one!

Darkhorse1201

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: A question for Don - why is silicone a no-no?

Sorry - double post - hit it twice by accident!

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not Don, but there a couple good reasons not to use Silicone. <br /><br />1. The excess that is squezed out and can foul oil pickups and passageways.<br />2. It too much is use, the mess it makes externally looks like an amature did it.<br />3. It has a bad odor, and is messy to use.<br />4. There are other sealants that are better in basically every way.<br /><br />I try to use a good non-hardening sealent (like permatex hylomar) in places that I would have used silicone in the past.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

and the Acetic acid produced during cure can attack aluminum.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Along will the reasons above, there are usually better products in most cases. It also depends on what people are wanting to use it for.

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

i think it leaks out and then causes all kinds of health problems.. so saline is the safer option

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

when i put any sealant on anything i dont lay a bead. i take my finger and smear a THIN film on both surfaces and the put them together. except manifold ends on autos. no gobs, no boogers oozing like cave formations...to the oil galleys. <br />silicone deteriates underwater as well. gets brittle and falls apart. a good polyurethane or hylomar wont.

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you ever tried to lift or remove old sillycone from something, in most cases it pulls up easily like a giant bogger. On the otherhand, I have to dig scrape and use needle nose pliers to remove old marine sealants. Don't get me wrong silicone and siliconized products are okay when used properly, but for marine applications polyurethane products are best. Why not just use what you know will work rather than something that might not be and is generally not recommended for marine applications. <br /><br />For whatever it's worth I just spent several thousand dollars painting my house. All of the prep work, caulking etc. was done with polyurethane products. Better adhesion, UV tolerance, expansion and contraction coefficients and in most cases paintable.<br /><br />By the way I'm not Don either ;) .

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Most marine silicone sealers will say not for underwater use.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Everything has its proper place. Its the application that counts, and that you didn't state. (And my brothers name is Don, so I will ask him what he says) :D

greentahoe

Seaman

I know a couple of guys named Don. Does that count?

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

i wish i had a neighbor named don!! :D he wouldnt ever have to buy beer again!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I sure picked a bad day to quit drinkin' :eek:

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by AaronG:<br /> I'm not Don, but there a couple good reasons not to use Silicone. <br /><br />3. It has a bad odor, and is messy to use.<br />
thats the best reason ever!!! i dont know if i could handle that cold or if you could take this heat?!?!!!

spike_michael

Seaman Apprentice

With all the work I am about to undertake I am REALLY glad I read this about silicone...

Thanks a ba-zillion!

Darkhorse1201

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Don and everyone else. I just went ahead and bought a good marine non silicone product. And thanks for the chuckles! I never thought this question would bring out some really good responses if you know what I mean!