Water Leaking In Boat

Kenny L

Recruit
I have a 1995 190 Horizon Four Winns. . The engine is a cobra 5.0 ford with a OMC outdrive. I have a water leak coming into the the engine compartment. It appears that the water is coming in from the Transom area. Is there a seal between the Transom and the outside of the boat? How would I test to see if it is this seal? Is the Transom difficult to remove? If its not the seal leaking how can I check the transom to see if it is bad? I can look and can see the water running down from area up above the drain plug where outdrive in connected. It leaks when boat is put in the water without the engine running. Would the engine and out drive have to be removed to check transom? Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water Leaking In Boat

More than likely this is caused by a leak in your u-joint bellows. You need to pull the drive to change this. You should be pulling the drive once a year anyway to grease/inspect the u-joints, gimbal bearing and boot anyway.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you are getting water into your bellows, you better check the oil in your drive for water. The drive seal for the u-joint shaft is not meant to have water on it.<br /><br />Also, count on changing your u-joints and your gimbal bearing if there is water in there.

Randy Mac

Cadet

Kenny, try putting the drain plug in and fill your bilge with water and see if you have water leaking from the inside out. I had same problem with 1992 Caravelle with a cobra water leaking around transom gasket. I tightened up the 6 mounting nuts on the inside of transom mount and stop the water.

rob85546

Seaman Apprentice

mine was taking on quite a bit of water, on mine there are 2 anodes on the lower transom mount bolts, they are alloy bolts that have a rubber washer on them, in my manual it says they can leak there...Had wife spray hose there and sure enough.... Pulled the 2 lower bolts and they were pretty corroded..replaced and now its just fine.