towing O'brien ring problems

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Regal 1900 LSR - 4.3GL with SX drive 190hp running 14.1/4 - 21 prop. <br /><br />I have just brought an O'brien Wake Wizard II and most times with even one child weighing only 4 stone the ring dives under the water. The same happens with no rider or two or three riders. I have tried slowly accelerating or straight to full throttle with a taught rope. The odd times it gets going its fine. <br /><br />Any ideas why this is happening at the moment spent loads of money and the kids have been put right off!.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Chris

Hopsdak

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: towing O'brien ring problems

I'd guess that the tow point on the boat is to low. And if that's not the case try adjusting the lenth of rope your using

cmyers_uk

Thanks I presume making the rope shorter increases the angle as im at the full length of the rope theres only one way to go!. The tow point is low. Thanks the only thing I could think of was to change the prop but it pulls me fine skiing and wakeboarding.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Chris

LubeDude

Admiral

It takes some experience with the riders also, they have to lean back to get the front of the tube out of the water as much as they can. You would definatly be better off with some type of ski pole other than just tying it to the transom, it will help keep the rope up out of the water,

cmyers_uk

LubeDude,<br /><br />Thanks, unfortunately they cant lean back as this thing has seats, looks great fun if only I can get it working!<br /><br />I am going to try and fabricate a Ski Pole and see if that helps. <br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />Chris

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

Make sure it's properly inflated! If it's not it won't ride right.

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class

Went out the other day and had the same problem with my tube and kids. So I went home and built me a ski pole that puts the rope about 5 feet up. Works great, pulls the tube right up now no matter how heavy the rider is. My boat is a project so built my own but you can buy ski poles that bolt on and are removeable.

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

Alot of ski poles say don't use for towables, I don't know if it's just a precaution but might be something to consider if purchasing one.<br /><br />DougV>