should i buy this boat, a Bayliner, high rpms

grantglock

Cadet
I'm thinking of buying this 95 Bayliner Capri 1850 SS, yesterday I took it for a test drive (after replacing a freeze plug that pushed out) The motor runs good but if I throttle all the way up, the rpms will go to almost 6000, that's way in the red on the tach, this seems too high to me. It is a Mercruiser 4.3 litre V6 LX series. Does anyone have any info for me? <br />they guy want's $4,700, I thought that was pretty cheap. they guy justs wants out of his loan b/c he never uses it. the NADA price is<br /><br />Total Low Retail: $5,960<br />Total Average Retail: $7,325<br /><br />I have never owned a boat before so this is all new to me.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Re: should i buy this boat, a Bayliner, high rpms

The high revs could be as simple as the wrong prop spun hub or even treimmed up to high. I would have the motor checked by a competent individual and check for soft spots in the boat. If all looks good then you can evaluate the price accordingly. Welcome aboard!!

Bondo

Staff member

It Sounds like a Broken Abused Boat.............<br /><br />Wait till he gets Down Below $2500.<br /><br />Unless You are a DIYer,+ Mechanic...<br />I'd Suggest you Keep Looking.............

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

I'm with neumanns. I've seen boats with a spun hub act this way. Could be a good deal. Have it checked out if your not sure.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I don't think NADA is a very good source for estimating a fair "sales" price. Try boatraderonline.com.<br /><br />Have the manifolds or risers ever been replaced? If not get some estimate & plan on it - 9 years old.

Bondo

Staff member

(after replacing a freeze plug that pushed out)
I Still say Run............<br /><br />I Haven't even ventured into the Rotten 10 Year Old Bilgeliner Problems........................ :D

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would worry about how long the engine has been overrevved, you might put a higher pitch prop on it and be ok or it might scatter the first time out remember that motor is just about like the one in your car, you overrev it all the time and sooner or later you are going to have a pile of parts. and check the engine real close it hasn't been winterized, and freeze plugs pushed out i would worry about a cracked block. But then you have plenty of money RIGHT

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would be most concerned that he didn't winterize it and the block or outdrive could have small cracks waiting to open up. It sounds like it is underpropped.

grantglock

Cadet

I took it out again and it ran for 15 minutes then started losing power and died, there is milky oil all over the top of the motor, and there is water in the oil. moter will not turn over now. we had to get a tow back to shore. i think i'll keep looking for a boat that has had more love.

D

DJ

You dodged a bullet on this one.

Bass Runner

Told ya, it's got a cracked block take the money and run

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

This should send a clear message to anyone who would consider for even a short second about buying a boat without an extensive water test.<br /><br />We see too many posts here where a guy has a major problem and he starts out by saying "The seller told me it ran fine last year and only needs a tuneup - - blah blah (no water test)" - - Now the rig won't start, bad compression in one cylinder, water in the gearcase and a rotten transom. AND THE POOR POSTER NOW WANTS SOME SUGGESTIONS!!

grantglock

Cadet

thanks for all your input, i am now going to shop around at the local boat dealers. I really wanted to buy that boat (it's one of my friends) but I can't afford to pay off the $4700 loan and put a new motor in it. It's too bad, the guy who owns the boat can't afford to fix it either. I bet it sits until his loan is payed down farther, then he sells it for whatever he can get. Maybe i can keep it in my driveway i can take it off his hands when the price goes down.

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

"a hole in the yard to pour money into"<br /><br /><br />RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bass Runner

I would be looking real close at the hull and transom if the boat hasn't been stored in a dry place or under covers, there can be dry rot anywhere, remember it wasn't winterized so no offence to your friend it dosn't sound like he took very good care of it. Remember the boat is almost 10 years old, you can find a good servicable boat for that price.

texomatom

Seaman

Grant,<br /><br />I think the engine is just the beginning of your troubles with this boat.<br />I took a look at the pictures. Yes, the boat looks nice at first glance. But, I see a severly neglected and abused boat. The owner apparently has no problems with running it into shallow water - one glace at the scared / skeg deprived lower unit says so (also speaks volumes as to why the prop was replaced). So, what has the owner hit with the new prop and how much damage has been inlficted on the shaft/gears?<br />Look at the last picture ... also pretty telling ..... Note the empty gear lube resovoire<sp?> and the 2 quarts of gear lube in the storage locker. This one's a leaker. Any lube out could just as easily mean water in. Expect to rebuild/replace the lower unit (at the very least) too.<br />You still want this boat? I hope not. <br />I was in the exact same position as you when I purchased my runabout. I was looking at a neglected boat a buddy was selling and new/slightly used ones. Yes, the boat my buddy was selling was worth what he wanted for it. But, in the end I decided that I wanted a boat that would contribute to my leasure time - not my workload! I bought new and haven't regretted my decision one time.<br />I agree with the majority of posters so far .... keep looking.<br />HTH<br /><br />Tom