DONE WITH OMC!! Buying new boat - opinions?

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, I've determined it's time to scrap my 89 Citation boat with a 4.3/OMC! Don't know what I'm going to do with it and don't care. Don't want to discuss the decision. <br /><br />Here are the criteria I'm using to find a new boat:<br /><br />Must be...<br /><br />1. Used<br />2. 1991 to current - there are always exceptions, but all things being the same, i think you will generally have less problems with a newer, well maintained boat that you will with an older, well maintained boat. <br />3. Volvo or Mercruiser I/O setup - don't know outboards and don't want to pay upfront or maintenance costs for an outboard. I want nothing to do with OMC's.<br />4. 21 - 25 ' - want more room than my 19' but don't want something too big that can't be easily trailered. Should be big enough for ocean but small enough for lake. <br />5. cuddy cabin - need it for the kids<br />6. reputable boat manufacturer<br />7. budget = 10,000 +/- a couple hundred<br /><br />Other questions that I am asking relate to maintenance, number of owners, saltwater vs freshwater exposure, problems, why they are selling. <br /><br />That being said, I've listed my finalists. Any opinions or suggestions would be welcome.<br /><br /> http://boston.craigslist.org/boa/167807113.html <br /><br /> http://boston.craigslist.org/boa/167733963.html <br /><br /> http://boston.craigslist.org/boa/167551729.html <br /><br /> http://boston.craigslist.org/boa/168424834.html <br /><br /> http://boston.craigslist.org/boa/165458292.html

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: DONE WITH OMC!! Buying new boat - opinions?

Back in 2002 I came to the same conclusion. I sold my 87 Bayliner with a 5.0 Cobra and bought a 1998 24' Wellcraft Eclipse Cuddy with a 7.4L Volvo.

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

"You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run."<br /><br />I'm running - really fast!!!!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

How much for the Drive system? I could use spare parts... :D <br />I like the CrownLine...Sharp boat!

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

well, lets see - it has new gauges, new shift cable, new winch, new headers and gasket, new batteries, new wiring, new manifolds, new plugs, wires and distributer cap, new seals, new prop shaft...take your pick - I'll ship the whole boat down to you in boxes for 5$ (after the official ceremony where I shoot it in the hull with my 10 gauge)

natwales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/sundancer_290.htm <br /><br />Here's an enlightening review of that Searay sundancer from that era. IT may not be exactly the same size your are looking at, but I think it is indicative of how they were building boats in the early nineties. I couldn't find much on any of the other hulls, but I think I'd at least stay away from that sea ray. <br /><br />I guess my opinion on the matter would be not to completely discount the hull in your decision either. I know little about any of these boats, but stylistically I liked the sunbird best. that canvas enclosure would be nice too. I felt like I saw OMC in that description and I thought that was a dealbreaker for you?<br /><br /> http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/4/78483684.htm <br /><br />I was in the same situation and price range as you last spring. I looked at this boat about a year ago and almost considered going further with it until I discovered a great deal on a Starfire (great boats if you can find one). I didn't do any serious surveying to it, but I know the owner dropped in a brand new crate engine last spring and it looked to be mechanically very sound. The hull seemed solid and seaworthy too, but I didn't go too far into it. I am pretty sure last year he would have let it go for about $9500. You may do better now.

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Funny - I always thought that SeaRay was a good boat, but after reading that review, I guess not. Ironically, that boat didn't have a trailer and was too big for me, so I scratched it off the list a couple of hours ago. <br /><br />Hull is definitely important to me - how do you know a good one from a bad one?

boathog

Seaman Apprentice

crownline , sharpe , fast and a merc.

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Crownline, hands down! The motor looks clean enought to eat off of.<br /><br />The Chris Craft is a close second but I didn't see trailer listed and it seems the boat has a lot of recent maintenance, new motor and drive are a plus, provided the work was done right, however may have been dogged early, what else is wrong?<br /><br />The Four Winn looks good but no motor info, may be underpowered.<br /><br />Walk around, doesn't seem as practical and it has an OMC, are you reconsidering your position?<br /><br />Sundancer has limited rear deck seating and has an older look about it.

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

One last thing assuming your kidding about shooting the boat...in the Atlanta area there are donation boat programs for charity. You'll get a top dollar tax write off and it will go to a good cause. Call you accountant before you take your best shot!

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Purduebarry - thanks for the opinions. Although the Sunbird mentions "OMC" in the advertisement, it's actually a Chevy engine and a Volvo drive, so there's not too much "OMC" about it as I see it? Is this assumption right? <br /><br /><br />Agree on the Sundancer - took it off the list. <br /><br />I will definitely check on the donation idea - good suggestion.

KaGee

Admiral

BG, for your info... all the 4.3's are Chevy's, all the 305/5.0 and 350/5.7 are all Chevy's too... no matter the label. The mfgs provide all the periphrials, but the blocks are all Chevy's!<br /><br />Not sure what you are hot about (prop shaft seal maybe??) but you can buy another boat today, and havr problems again tomorrow.<br /><br />Addition: If the drive on the next boat you buy has not been maintained properly, you will soon find that VP's and Mercs are just as expensive to fix... just more people who will work on them.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by boatgrunt:<br />[QB] Purduebarry - thanks for the opinions. Although the Sunbird mentions "OMC" in the advertisement, it's actually a Chevy engine and a Volvo drive, so there's not too much "OMC" about it as I see it? Is this assumption right? /QB]
Yes you are right. This come from the joint venture years. I have a OMC/Volvo Setup on my '95 Four Winns.<br /><br />The engine will have OMC stamped onit but the bolt on's will be Volvo. You can get any parts you need at any Volvo Dealer.<br /><br />The Drive is an SX drive. The only thing to stay away from is the OMC Fords (which I have). Motor is great, but there are very few out there for spare parts, and it's hard to find someone with the expertise to work on a FORD EFI.<br /><br />Mike

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

KaGee - thanks for the info. I didn't know that the 4.3, 305 and 350's are all Chevy's. I hear what you're saying about the old boat, but just trust me when I tell you it was better for me and my family to scrap this boat and start fresh...so much wrong I don't even know where to begin. <br /><br />To your point about maintenance, I plan on paying a surveyor to assess the condition of the engine, drive and boat. I also have asked very detailed questions about maintenance and plan to include as much verbage in the contract as I can attesting to the prior maintenance and to the boat's ability to function properly on her first sea trial.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Take the crownline, that is a steal for that boat if it is in as good of condition as it looks like, I am a fan of the VP drives just because of the design and fact that the impeller is easier to change but I know that it is easier to find Merc Parts.

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

boatgrunt, I'm partial to Crownline. That being said there are a couple of areas you should be aware about. <br />1. The 210CCR is no speed demon and you will want a set of trim tabs on the boat. <br />2. Crownline started using XL plywood in 1998. Anything prior to that check the floor and stringers for soft spots.

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

wow - i'm suprised that with a 5.7, the Crownline is still on the slower side. I'll definitely check for soft spots...bad construction/flooring BIG concern of mine.

Darkhorse1201

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey boatgrunt - I'm in Boston too (actually just west working in Natick). Let me know what you want to do with your boat as I have a 4.3 OMC that always need parts.

Darkhorse1201

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh yeah - I'd be looking at the Crownline or the Chriscraft!