Cruised for 15 minutes. Then Towed back.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cruised for 15 minutes. Then Towed back.

Originally posted by milkyway:<br /> Bruce - you want to me run the electric pump for whole ten minutes and then restart? Doesn't that seem too long?
Don might be the best to answer that, but I don't believe it's going to hurt the pump. The pump is already designed to work that way if you think about it. The fact that the fuel flow is a lot less at idle than full WOT means it is already fighting to produce more flow than what it can deliver at times.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by milkyway:<br /> Backfire and no eyebrows? Neither is desirable.<br /><br />
I almost had that happen to me. I never stick my head over the carb when the engine is running anymore. <br /><br />If you think you absolutely have to try it, find a big face shield :)

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Looks like another windy day here.......<br /><br />Hope you have better luck today!

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

Hey guys, thanks for hanging on with me. Can't believe we have now 2 pages. <br /><br />Today I will disconnect the fuel line from the tank and use alternate container filled with fresh fuel, from today's catch. To rule out sour fuel. <br /><br />Do I still have to check for spark at the:<br />1. coil tower<br />2. ignition coil<br />2. all plug wires<br /><br />I will then check the electric choke (seloc manual) and ignition module (merc bulletin).<br /><br />Then carburetor will be last step. <br /><br />Strange thing is that the engine can be started and would consistently and regularly run between 12-15 seconds. and then die - no coughing, no backfire, like being turned off slowly. What could it be?

cjflanagan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a thought, but instead of collecting the fuel in containers during these tests. Can you not run a long piece of 'test' fuel line back into your tank filler opening? This way the fuel just cycles back into the tank. Letting the fuel pump run in this manner will allow you to cycle it for 10 minutes and observe its behavior. As far as checking for spark in all those places, use an induction timing light ($40 bucks)put it on the plug wires if you have spark there, you have spark all the way back through those systems. Be patient - don't give up. After you do the fuel line in the tank test for 10 minutes, why not try this too. Button it all back up, put the induction timing light on the coil wire (just because it will blink faster and may provide a better opportunity to spot changes), start it up and hold the button on the timing light and see if when it starts to die if the light flashing changes. Bottom line your almost there. Knowing 'why' the engine stops at a macro level will help you find the 'what' at the micro level.

cjflanagan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, you mentioned in your original post that it ran for 15 minutes then died. Is it so now, or has it slowly worked back to 15 seconds. The reason I ask is that 15 minutes is just enough time to bring operating temperature into the mix. I had a brand new petronix module that would crap out after about 15-20 minutes. The timing light test I mention will let you know.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

I can run the pump for 10 minutes, but I have already tested it for pressure for 20 seconds, 2 times. And the engine stops everytime from 12-15 seconds. So since the pump was tested to operate longer than the engine's running time, the pump cannot be the one doing this problem. <br /><br />I will first try using fresh fuel. If nothing changes, then I will remove the fuel vent and see if it's clogged (happened to my bilge hose-clogged with spider web-like stuff). Then proceed with the choke and iginition module check. Then all the sparks.<br /><br />Thanks.

cjflanagan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Right but in the big picture if it runs for 10 minutes with no interuption and you add that to your fuel pressure findings already achieved, you should be able to totally eliminate fuel delivery (up to the point of the carb). BTW If your wondering about the freshness of the fuel, throw a pint of octain boost in.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

Here are the results.<br /><br />I connected a new fuel line with fresh fuel. I reconnected the 2 wires back to the the oil pressure switch , so no more bypass. I removed all old fuel from the oil filter and the pump.<br /><br />Ran for 45 secs - died.<br />Ran for 9 minutes -then died. Oil pres was 40 psi, engine temp was 150 degs, dashboard voltage read 13 volts.<br /><br />Let the engine cooled.<br />Started the engine - engine temp was 140 degs.<br />Engine ran for 11 minutes, with my occasional revving of throttle during this perid, engine did not die. Engine temp was 175.<br />Turned off the ignition.<br /><br />Connected the RPM tester to the ignition coil<br />Engine started one click.<br />Engine ran for 10 minutes nonstop. Engine temp was 175 normal. <br /><br />RPM fluctuated from 600 to 650 during this 10 minutes, probably also during the previous 11 minutes.<br /><br />Summary: Engine ran for total of 30 minutes, with fresh fuel, with the oil press switch to its correct configuration, however - rpm constantly fluctuated from 600 to 650. In 2005 and 2004, rpm was a perfect 650 steady.<br /><br />I therefore conclude that the fuel pump is ok, but I need to dump the remaining 25 gallons of fuel in the tank. Fuel turned sour. That's another project. Carburetor is ok, but maybe good to schedule cleaning.<br /><br />RPM is fluctuating. What's causing this? Answer please. Another project.<br /><br />Thanks to all.

cjflanagan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How old is that fuel? Sounds like your moving forward.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

You know, I have never run the tank to less than 15 gallons. If it fell below 15 gallons, added, then added, since 2004. Then fuel stabilzer every winter storage. Probably I added too much last winter. The old fuel is like orangish in color, maybe due to stabil, lots of dirt everytime I take something out. Probably the last 20 gallons stored since last winter just went sour, even after I added 10 gals more before my last trip to perk it up. Now I have to work on emptying the tank. And find out why the rpm at idle is fluctuating. And feeling much better. Always something to do.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

You know, I have never run the tank to less than 15 gallons. If it fell below 15 gallons, added, then added, since 2004. Then fuel stabilzer every winter storage. Probably I added too much last winter. The old fuel is like orangish in color, maybe due to stabil, lots of dirt everytime I take something out. Probably the last 20 gallons stored since last winter just went sour, even after I added 10 gals more before my last trip to perk it up. Now I have to work on emptying the tank. And find out why the rpm at idle is fluctuating. And feeling much better. Always something to do.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Stabil is fine until you have water in the gas. It emulsifies the water and gas mixture so the water doesn't separate out. Fine if you have a little bit of water - terrible if you have a lot. I did the same on my boat when I bought it. I ended up having to get rid of nearly 100 gallons of gas. <br /><br />I had a company come out and they tried running the fuel through specialized filters, but it was too saturated to do anything. They said in their opinion, Stabil is the worst thing to add to gas. I know some swear by it - but I just make sure to run my boat often enought that I don't get old gas! ;) <br /><br />And yes, you will need to go ahead and take apart the carb and clean it out too.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

This was actually a triple post - by accident. I didn't hit the "back" button - honest! I thought my computer had frozen up after htting the reply button because nothing happened. :eek: :eek: <br /><br />Ended up posting the same answer three times!<br />Oh well! :cool:

JIm Cook

Seaman Apprentice

Could tank venting be an issue?

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry for the triple click. Website hang.<br /><br />Fishermark - there's always a first time, huh. I just transferred 10 gallons of fuel to old orange juice and other containers. I have to check where I can dump these. Maybe 15 gals more to go. When I have sucked all fuel, do I worry about any sediments sitting in the bottom? Just leave it there?

cjflanagan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get yourself 3 x 5 gallon cans and use it up in the lawnmower. Or rent a car and... :D

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The same company that came out and tried filtering my fuel carted off my old fuel. It cost me a dollar a gallon, but I didn't want to mess with trying to get rid of a hundred gallons of old gasoline!