omc

maineax

Recruit
Looking to buy a 1987 4.3 omc in a 2010 starcraft that has 200 hours and was maintained every year by a good service shop Is this setup a good size for the boat or to small or this something I should stay away from. I mean the omc the chevy motor is easy to work on but what about the omc???

Bondo

Staff member
Re: omc

OMC has been Out of Business for 10 Years,..........<br /><br />Would you Buy a Rambler automobile,.????<br /><br />Parts are getting to be a Problem,+ Most Techs won't go Near them.......

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Unless it's real cheap, in good shape, and you have local service for OMC, I'd pass. Too many other boats out there that have easy to get fixed Merc or Volvo power.<br />Having said that, since I have a great local tech, my OMC Cobra has been no trouble at all. Couple of impellers, seals, etc the last 4 seasons, and that is with it being moored in salt water 6 months out of the year.<br />BTW those one piece exh manifolds are nearly impossible to find, but after market companies have convesion kits now.

Mile-High Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We're forgetting that OMC intentionally designed the Cobra system to fit and bolt into the same cutout as a Mercruiser sterndrive system, and that OMC actually entered into a joint venture partnership with Volvo Penta in 1993. Although OMC is still a viable legal entity, Volvo Penta completed the buy-out of OMC's sterndrive operation and factory in late 1998, hence the availability of the option of replacing your OMC outdrive with a Volvo Penta outdrive. <br /><br />Maineax - you can retrofit a Volvo Penta outdrive to your good OMC motor (just make sure you have it checked out thoroughly - 200 hours on a 19-year-old motor is not necessarily a good sign - these things were not designed to like sitting idle) if you're committed to keeping the motor, just be sure you want to drop the coin on a pretty pricey Volvo Penta drive system in a boat that's worth less than the outdrive. Like Lou C said, you may find a complete motor/drive system package to replace the your OMC system for less than the cost of the Volvo Penta conversion, or a whole other boat with an operational system for less money than either. Here are possibilities:<br /><br /> http://www.crowleymarine.com/sterndrives/omc/cobra_complete.cfm <br /><br /> http://www.affordablemarine.com/ <br /><br />They offer a variety of options from all major marine power manufacturers.

fleopis67

Cadet

why bother with it?pass on it and find a boat with a merc or a volvo,at least if you have problems you can get service,esp. if you are not mech. inclined,cheap boats are gonna cost ya!!!!beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!do you wanna be boatin or wrenchin?????????????????

maineax

Recruit

Good to know that not everyone dislikes omc so I went out looking again and have seen many recks. I have found a boat that is in A-1 condition but it has a Evinrude outbourd on it and I know that is also a omc product so I am looking for input on this boat aswell It is a 1988 110 hp V-4 freshwater only boat and the summers are very short in the state of Maine so it to has low hours any thoughts would help and thanks for all the input.

rojoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a starcraft (88') with a 5.0 cobra. I think it is a great boat. I also think the cobra setups are good , BUT, they MUST be maintained. Service manuals are a MUST! So far parts are not a problem and don't seem to be any more costly than the others. The biggest complaint I have after four years with this cobra is mechanics willing spend the time to service correctly. The alternative is to do it yourself. It is really not that difficult. Good luck

maineax

Recruit

Thanks for the input rojoc I am reading all kinds of posts both good and bad I will do more readind and hopefuly buy one or the other by weeks end. Summer is hear and it's rainig owell

Mile-High Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just for the record, NEW OMC PARTS are available for OMC owners who insist on new. Bombardier now owns OMC and continues to provide new replacement OMC parts, not aftermarket replacements. Volvo Penta conversions are still an option, but if you are an OMC purist, seek out new OMC equipment.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Mine keeps on going!! Have had no problem finding parts thanks to all the great folks here in these forums..

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought an '89 OMC 4.3L in '03.<br />Wasn't aware of the detail required in maintaining the transom shift cable and associated parts. Paid for it by having to replace lower unit gears. Even considering that experience I've really liked the boat.<br /><br />The only other work I've done has been routine maintenance and it's running and shifting perfectly. This is the first boat I've maintained myself and the only thing I've had to pay someone to have done was the gears. Parts haven't been a big problem. A couple small parts have taken a few extra days to get ordered though.<br /><br />They're like any other I/O IMO, poor maintenance, or not knowing what needs maintained will cost you big no matter what color the drive is.<br /><br />Proper maintenance and replacement of parts BEFORE they fail will give you a happy boat for a long time.