Volvo outdrive won't pivot/turn

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class
My brother just bought a 1986 Bayliner Contessa 2850 (I know Bondo....yes he did) He first thought the steering cable was frozen, but when unhooked it works fine, the outdrive seems frozen in place. He has greased all of the zerts and tried to free the drive, but it won't budge. Please tell me there is not some sort of locking pin he's not seeing. Or is this a "pull the drive" and find what the problem is??? He's in Arizona working on it now...Any Ideas???<br /><br />Thanks !

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo outdrive won't pivot/turn

The problem is NOT a Bayliner problem, the 2850's are nice boats. The problem you are having is the bushings for the steering fork coming into the transom shield are building up with corrosion between the bushings and the steering shaft and have it locked up tight.<br />You can NOT use a hammer in this process at all. It will take heat, and probably melting the plastic bushings out of the transom shield so the steering shaft can be removed. <br />Most times this involves removing the engine and drive, and some times pulling the transom shield from the boat to get it apart. It all depends on the amount of "Lack of maintenance" it has received over the years.

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Don,<br /><br />Wasn't making fun of Bayliners (It is a very nice boat)...Just wanted to head Bondo off at the pass. I've got Keith on the phone and he would like to know if the transom shield can be removed from the outer stern with out pulling the engine? Thanks Again!

Don S

Nope, gotta pull the engine, and exhaust Y and anything else that gets in the way.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep, what DonS says, last one I did took me 8 hours to remove a pair of forks. when the bushings lock up its nasty.<br /> however with patience and a good oxy rig its a matter of time.

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Folks,<br /><br />Above the tiller arm there is a loop in the transonm plate where the grease zert and a stainless plug that the zert screws into. Is there a way to remove it so he can drive the fork out from the bushings? The book he bought doesn't cover this...Any help is appreciated...

Don S

Is there a way to remove it so he can drive the fork out from the bushings?
Did you miss the part I posted about using a hammer???? I wasn't kidding. That fork is aluminum. If you/he tries to drive it out, you will only destroy the fork and make it harder to get out.<br /><br />Your only choice is to melt out the old plastic bushings with an Oxy/Act tourch, and heat the steering arm. A propane torch will not get it hot enough. Then someone needs on the outside with a couple of prybars to pry the fork out of the transom shield while the other person heats it.

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nope didn't miss that. I've been working third party and reminded him. He's headed for the Oxy/AC torch first thing in the AM. The engine runs great and he got a steal on the boat. I'm some what invested, as I helped him go get it. He bought it on e-bay...Mind you he's in Phoenix and the boat was in northern Minnesota. I flew from St. Louis to Kansas City where he picked me up. We made the drive to Hill City MN, got the boat and then drove it back to Phoenix. Five days in a pickup...(About what it takes you to get groceries in Alaska...lol) But it was a LONG trip for us land lubbers...<br /><br />He's been trying to get this all figured out before the holiday weekend. We'll let you know how it turns out.<br /><br />He's two hours behind me in time, and I keep telling him 9:00pm his time is 11:00pm my time...But what can you say...It's family.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

depending on the tiller type it will either have a set screw that locks it or a clamp bolt. remove the tiller lock. remove the trim sender if at all possible. remove the upper drive for extra cleartence, use duct tape to seal off the drive to prevent debris from falling in.<br /> now the fun and games begin. it talkes patience and heat. if this is a saltwater boat you will find not only are the bushings stuck but the tiller is stuck to the fork as well. try not to break anything as some of the 80's parts are NLA and require replacing both the fork/helmet assy and the tiller. you wont belive the cost of them.<br />its also a good time to replace the drive bellows and inspect the ujoints.

Bondo

Staff member

Wasn't making fun of Bayliners (It is a very nice boat)...Just wanted to head Bondo off at the pass.
Just for the Record,.........<br /><br />My Bilgeliner Bashing is confined to Potential Buyers,.........Usually 1st Time Buyers...<br /><br />That's those Poor Souls who THINK they're about to Steal a Perfectly Good, Solid, Quality Boat..... :rolleyes: <br /><br />When in Fact,... They'll find out it's JUNK,+ They'll Probably Never Return to Boating....Ever Again.....<br /><br />Same goes for Potential Buyers of OMCs......Or Force Outboards.....<br /><br />I Don't,+ Haven't Bad Mouthed Bayliners(or OMCs) to ANY Bayliner(OMC) Owners,.........<br /><br />With the Exception of those who take My statements Out of Context,+ Attack Me With Them...............<br /><br />If I had Any Clue about your brother's Volvo,.....<br />I'd be here Helping Him Too,.....<br />Just like I Try to help others who have Already Made their Mistakes,+ Bought a POS........... ;) :D <br /><br />Best of Luck to You,+ Your Brother in this latest endeavor............ ;)

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bondo,<br /><br />Hope you didn't take my comment out of context. Didn't mean anything by it. Was just trying to be comical...<br /><br />You've helped me a ton and I appreicate every bit of it! And thank you too Don. Keith was able to get the steering fork out using the oxy/ac torch and has new bushings ordered. <br /><br />Stay tuned...I've got another post coming...Yep, I bought another boat..

Udate ... Thanks for all the advice it work just as you said. I heated the bushung utill they melted and it freed up instantly. the tiller arm however did not (repeat did not) want to divorce the steering fork. Pry bars were not able to get it done. I heated it red hot and still nothing. 4 hrs of fiberglass fumes burning. I Still feel a little funny from that. I finally took a ball joint fork that was wide enough to go around the fork shaft and with a few taps from hammer it gave up the fight. I know hammers were not advised but this left absolutly no marks on the transom plate or the steering fork. Dont know if I got lucky or that may be the way to go. Thanks again guys! Will spread the word about all u boat repair Gods !

Don S

Congrats, that is probably the worst job you could possibly do concerning a Volvo drive/Transom shield.<br />You did it the proper way, when I was refering to hammering on it, I meant hitting the top of the fork pivot inside the boat. If that gets flared just a little, it NEVER comes out useable. Also, for future reference, when you have to heat that much, I always remove them from the boat. I REALLY don't like setting the transom on fire and having them smolder inside. Of course that requires removing engine and drive, but that's life. The fumes from the bushings and the fiberglas can't be good for you.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I have had tillers stuck so tight I had to cut them off the fork with a side grinder.<br /> most of the carolina and albermarle 28's are jackshafted and shield removal is all but impossibe. I have done it, but normally it requires removing the fish box,laying in the hole and burning off the rusted nuts. the next bulhead over is a 245 gallon gas tank. once you start burning the smoke is blinding.<br /> I usually remind my fire watch that if they see flames make sure you put me out first :) .<br /> we also have the jackshafts rust away and break occasionally.<br /> just wait until ya get to remove a trim cyl :) :) if ya thought the steering fork was fun try the trim cyl:)

Don S

just wait until ya get to remove a trim cyl :) :) if ya thought the steering fork was fun try the trim cyl:)
For trim cylinders, I give the "Special Tool" my best shot. If/when it fails (which it normally does) I then pull the transom shield.<br />That's just how it's done. On the bench with the proper pullers and torches.<br /><br />Ya know, one of these days I may have to move to someplace where there is no salt or brackish water and see how the "Other Half" lives.<br />I've never really worked on anything that is over 3 years old that you could actually take apart without a Oxy/Act rig and a BFH.

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

man sounds like i got lucky on my 2850 !!! except the engine drive and pretty much whole boat i had to rebuild. would like to see some pics of this rig boys.. only mine is an 87 with a gas refinery in it... ford 460 with the cobra

If any of u know about trim tabs and the wiring... thats next for me. Hit the switches and nothing!! center pole to switches has power and when any switch is depressed all poles go hot + power. have five wires to swithces, one power feed to center pole and four to pump... all go hot when any switch is depreesed ...any ideas or wiring diagram would help .. concoured the steering fork issue ...thanks guys !!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,......... I saw the Humor,......... :D <br />But,.... <br />Most folks have No Idea that Yourself, Brother Keith,+ Myself are Born,+ Raised Maineiacs.......... :D <br />I'm Still expecting Stratos Mike to show up......<br /> I'm Sure that he has a Web Searching Program that Scours the Web looking for the Word,..........<br />Bilgeliner.............. :D <br /><br />Hi Keith,...... Welcome to iboats forums.......<br /><br />If those tabs are Bennetts,.... I'm guessing that the Switch is Shot........<br />There Should be power coming from Less than All the Outputs..........<br />It Might have really screwed up the pump,... powering Both the Up,+ Down sides at the Same Time...........<br /><br />Good Luck....... ;) <br />Talk about Different Worlds,....... Searsport,+ Phoenix..........