02 5.0 dies while cruising

crepitus

Recruit
My father just purchased an 02 Rinker. Boat idles fine but either when you are going on plain or just cruising the motor totally shuts down. It will start right up again and continue to happen. any ideas where to start? its fuel injected. oh and it doesnt sputter or anything just totally cuts out.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 02 5.0 dies while cruising

You don't say what power package you have, but there are some basics. When was the last complete tuneup, cap rotor plugs....change fuel/water separator (if you have one). Could be a plugged vent to the fuel tank. If you do a search on bogging or stalling you should get some good info. Have to rule out the obvious before you start chasing ghosts.

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

welcome to iboats, the EFI stuff can be tricky and while its mostly ultra reliable the problems usually start when people who don't understand them start messing with them. They are hi-tech and need experienced trained people to do the diagnoses and repairs. The maintenance stuff is all doable by the owner the tech repairs are not! Do a search and you will find this forum riddled with problems associated with average owners trying to save a few bucks and in the end costing themselves time and a lot more money than was necessary by throwing stuff like plugs and filters at the problem only to find the problem was a small but complex issue that could have been solved with one trip to a dealer. If the filters are due than replace them, check that the tank is venting correctly as part of your maintenance work but my advise is to take it to somebody who is not guessing and or just throwing parts at it until they hit the right one………Good luck.

crepitus

Recruit

my father spoke with the dealer that sold the boat. they said that merc had computer problems back then and probably needs to be replaced. anyone ever heard of this?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a cop-out answer. No testing, no checking the basics, no basis for that response.<br />I've never heard of any "Computer problems back then" type problems.<br />Sounds like a serious need for starting the engine and doing a wiggle test on EVERY connection in the wiring harness. Engine and helm. Include the kill switch. Even doing basic checks like fuel filters couldn't hurt. <br />Computers don't kill it, then let it start again without leaving a trail. Any error codes set?

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Whether purchased from a dealer or an individual, you have to make sure all the mechanical/physical stuff is in order before you start dorking with the computer. Not sure about where you are, but dealers around here sell a used boat as just that. If the new owner cares to pay for service, such as filters plugs oil etc. it normally is not done. Folks always jump to the computer and sensors. As stated before, computers and systems are quite reliable in and of themselves. But the system needs to be intact. I am assuming since you are here asking for direction, you have some basic mechanical skills and wish to save some cash. Going back to the dealer and finding out it was something quite basic like a poor connection or basic maintenance that could have saved a couple hundred bucks is depressing. Spend a little time checking the obvious and if you are confident that the problem is in the injection or computer system, by all means see a professional.

crepitus

Recruit

being the boat is an 02 that only has 40 hours on it i dont think it is in need of any maintenence since it only has 40 hours on the engine. boat was barely used.

tommays

Admiral

Your kidding right :( <br /><br />Do something simple like change fuel filters and look at the crud from laying around with OLD gas<br /><br />Its X hours or EVERY YEAR on most things<br /><br /><br />tommays

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by crepitus:<br /> being the boat is an 02 that only has 40 hours on it i dont think it is in need of any maintenence since it only has 40 hours on the engine. boat was barely used.
Ayuh,.........<br /><br />4 Years Without Maintenance is Still 4 Years,............................................ Without Maintenance.......<br /><br />Even with only 40hrs on the clock.......... :rolleyes: