HELP! Bayliner 1988 OMC 5.7L I/O engine V8

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommays

Admiral
Re: HELP! Bayliner 1988 OMC 5.7L I/O engine V8

I would pull the starter first<br /><br />Its the only thing i can think of that could make a grinding noise by handing up and rubbing on the flywheel<br /><br />tommays

lorax

Petty Officer 2nd Class

These guys who keep suggesting that you check the starter are right. There is no way I would pull the motor out until I was satisfied that the starter is disengaging from the flywheel completely.

spartanpele

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another suggestion....<br /><br />Try to turn the engine by hand and see if you can hear the noise..wheres it coming from.<br /><br />Then remove the starter..and again...try to turn the engine by hand...do you still hear the noise.<br /><br />While the starter is out, can you see the teeth of the flywheel? Are there pieces missing, etc.<br /><br />Definetly start with the starter first...

rizy1976

Seaman Apprentice

Hi guys, Thanks for your help and support. Me and my car mechanic worked on the boat. We pulled the motor out and put a new crank shaft in, replaced the rod bearing and placed engine back.<br />Now, the motor sounds really good but still has problem while ideling. It does not idle good. U have to keep the throtle up, as soon as you would bring it to neutral motor would stop. Took boat into water and found an other problem. As boat wont idle but even at slower speed it would jerk. It would move in jerks. But when you give more gas it runs really good around 50mph and engine sounds good.<br />My mechanic frined says it coz of old bad gas left in the chamber and he thinks we have to burn few tanks out before engine would start idleing good.<br />What are the suggestions on that? Could it be bad carborator or what. I have a feeling that its something bad in fuel system coz the jerk at slow speed was very persistant. Please advice.

Bondo

Staff member

I Think You're Right,........<br /><br />Freshen the Gas,+ I'd throw a Rebuild Kit into the Carb,.........<br /><br />After you've come So Far,....... It's Incidental......

Wingnutt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Never mind, I didn't completely read the post

rizy1976

Seaman Apprentice

Can someone help me find the right Carb kit for my boat. How would I know what kit do I need and where can i find it from?<br />Thanks

rizy1976

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys for you help... I've been working on my boat almost on daily basis on various issues so thought of updating this thread...<br />After all the suggestions to rebuild the carb I decided to take a look into the issue... <br />I took backfire flame arrester off and found it was completely blocked with dust... <br />Cleaned that up with solvent and added SeaFoam in the tank... cleaned the carb from outside.. cleaned the fuel intake nosel as it seemed to be choked with skunk.. <br />Finally started the boat with water hooked up the the T-stat housing.. engine sounded much better no jerky stuff was idleing.. <br />But as I was running off on dry impeller, ended up buring that out.. too bad.. put a new impeller kit.. now boat works better.. but runs too rich.. I think I would start planning to rebuild the carb... not sure if I could do it myself... good luck to all who are running into similar probs... its always good to try small things before you head on to big ones as it boasts confidence...

Status
Not open for further replies.