Volvo Trim Pump

gregmercer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Volvo Trim Pump

Well I connected two jumper cables and the motor still does not turn (is 10 guage wire big enough?). It does however make a little grunting noise. I'm guessing this means that I need a new motor....<br /><br />Can I rebuild the motor I have?<br /><br />On the side of the motor there is a sticker that reads "Volvo Pentra SAE J-1171 P/N 3856596"<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />Greg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ok, this is going to get complicated now.<br />On your engine (the 151) they never came out with the pump you now have. The original pump was replaced with several different pump kits (none with the number you have on that sticker).<br />The new kit number is 3586765. The fun part is, is there is no breakdown of parts for that kit. So who knows if that kit has a seperate motor or not.<br />I tried looking through different drive configurations and couldn't come up with any kind of a number.<br />Now, if I had it in front of me, that would be a different ball game.<br />Might head to your local Volvo dealer and see if they can match a motor for you.

gregmercer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I bought the boat the guy told me it was an AQ151 but after doing some research I am actually pretty sure it is an AQ131 with an SP outdrive. The sticker is worn off on the engine so I don't know forsure, but am pretty sure. Does this change anything? Here are some pictures of the pump - <br /><br />
pump8kl.jpg
<br /><br />
motor9zy.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You still need to see if you can match a motor. The 131 used the same pump as the 151.... and it ain't that one.

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

what about getting a whole new unit. i mean its leaking and all. wouldnt want the fishies to get the fluid from the bilge. sounds like my luck man.. having parts that dont exist ha! im sure a whole unit is pretty expensive to..... but trim is an important boat performance issue, not jusat for trailering

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

how come alot of boat parts have SAE stamped on them? isnt that the society of AUTOMOTIVE engineering?