Power loss after approx 1 hr of running

Sea Ducer

Cadet
Hello there !!<br /> 1st time listner,1st time caller !<br />I have a 1988 454cc in a 25' Sorrento(Sea Ray)with an Alpha 1 drive.I have a problem when I run 1 hr to 1 hr 5 min the motor bogs down slowly till I'm at minimum moving speed.It performs fine on short trips but after approx 1 hr it starts looseing speed.I changed the carb,cap,rotor,plugs. What might this be !!!!! Thanks for your knowledge!!

tommays

Admiral
Re: Power loss after approx 1 hr of running

Fuel tank vent ?<br /><br /> losen the can and listen for air rushing it when it bogs down<br /><br />tommays

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

losen the can
I would bet his typing fingers got away from him and he meant the "Cap" as in the fuel fill cap.<br />But I agree, it sounds like the fuel tank vent is plugged. Just takes a long time to pull enough vacuum to cause the fuel pump to not pump any longer and you run out of gas.

Sea Ducer

Cadet

Sounds like a good reason I will check it in the morning !!I'll let you know the results of the inspection. Thank You Both for the help !! Jim

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

an easier way to test the fuel systems delivery capeability to the fuel pump is to T in a vacum guage on the pump intake, if any restrictions are present the guage will show excessive vacum, over 4"Hg. from there you can keep moving the T back until the restriction dissapears from the guage and you will know if and exactly where any restrictions are. if no excessive vacum is present it keeps you from chashing ghosts, if a vent problem is suspected next time your filling the tank listen closely for air escaping the vent. if it is the vent is clear. that motor may burn about 20GPH, does not take much makeup air to replace 20GPH.

Sea Ducer

Cadet

Hello again,<br /> I checked the vent & it is not restricted at all.I'm back to square 1 !Any more educated guesses are greatly apprieciated.Thanks Jim

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

clogged sock in the tank,anti-syphon valve acting up,

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is a post on testing the fuel system between the fuel pump and the tank.<br /> http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=015221#000000 <br /><br />You could also have a fuel pump that is going bad, running a pressure gauge during the problem would be necessary to determine that.<br /><br />You may also have an electrical component that gets hot and starts acting up after an hour.<br />Things like the sensor in the distributor, the coil, ignition amplifier etc.<br /><br />Have you looked at the spark when the problem occures to see if it's bright blue or yellow?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

with a Kv tester and a fuel system pressure/vacum guage this sort of issue can normally be found inside my 1 hour diagnostic time.<br />hook up the fuel system vacum guage like I said and see if system vacum exceeds 4"Hg, some carbs have a filter in the inlet nut that never gets checked as well. normal fuel system vacum for that motor will be 1 to 2"Hg, less and it could bve an air leak or bad pump, more and its a restriction somewhere. when its dying check the fireing voltage, it should be between about 7Kv and 10 Kv.<br /> mecanical issues dont come and go, so right off the bat we eliminated engine mechanicals, mostly :) .<br /> the rest is fuel,or lack of, in the intake manifold and spark, or lack of, at the proper time, at the spark plug gap.<br /> that motor has 4 cycles, suck,squeeze ,bang and blow. everything else helps it go.<br />dont let the complexity of the entire packege pop a brain cell.<br />normally, if the carb works well its ok, however if the carb has no fuel or not enough it cant get fuel to the intake manifold.<br />gotta isolate it to a restriction before the pump or the pump. as most pumps are mechanical they normally work well all the time or not at all. but not always.<br />had a 5.8 PCM that worked well to 4200 then would lean out and blow off a plug electrode, bad fuel pump. found it with the pressure guage.<br />took 3 techs and the customer spent 700 buxs on work not needed.<br />so look at your symptoms, evaluate what may or may not be happening and test accordingly.<br />never saw a sock on a marine draw tube.<br /> however most had a screen just below the tank bung in the draw tube that can drive an untrained tech slam up the wall.<br />however the vacum guage can catch that in the first 20 min or so.<br /> when the motor is losing power do you get any backfireing at all ?

Sea Ducer

Cadet

Thanks for everyones time so far!!<br /> This gives me more things to check than I thought about. I changed the filter in the nut before the carb when I switched the carb, which was the first thing I believed the problem to be.I did change the mechanical fuel pump just before this & checked the flow with the new pump(which was tremendous output!)Next time I will block off the hole & install an electrical fuel pump for easier testing & changeing!!So I don't believe it to be in the fuel system now.<br /> I'm leaning towards the coil even though I was getting no backfires,just a gradual slowing down.When I would try more throttle it would bog down more till you back off.Maybe the pickup on the distributor itself?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

could be, usually when the fuel bowl is running dry it will violently backfire if the throttle is not closed.<br /> had one a few years back that the complaint was after an hour or so it would miss,bog and slow down. was a 2002 mercruiser 5.7 EFI.<br /> customer had had the problem from florida to NC.<br /> gave me a stack of laptop print outs from 6 different marinias on the route.<br /> I looked them over and absolutly nothing was wrong with the stbd engine.<br />told the marina owner if he would captain the boat I would find it, never hooked the lap top up as I already knew it was a waste.<br /> we rode about an hour until it broke up, the ign coil would warm up an arc from the coil secondary tower to the primary tower. you could hear it but not really see it.<br /> the computer wont catch it.<br />as you keep giving us information keep the suck,squeeze bang,and blow info in your head.<br /> on a 4 stroke a lean out will result in carb backfires if the plates are open, EFI and carbed do the same.<br /> when it slows down does it run rough at all ?

Sea Ducer

Cadet

Thinking back to last fall it did seem to run a little rough but not to noticeable, no backfires,both times I had 3/4 full tank,smooth water.It happened 1 other time with rough water to, thought maybe fuel screen but it happened on calm water 2 times after.I used it many times afterward & in between on shorter trips out with no problems.I can almost set a clock at the 1 hr to 1hr 5 min mark.<br /> Thanks alot for your information & time rodbolt & everyone else ! I know with help from all these new resources I've found here at iboats I'll getter done!! Jim