Volvo 3.0 carb change - PRODUCT NO PROBLEM

ss9940

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all!<br /><br />I haven't been on the forum for a while, now i got another problem - hope you guys can help me out. I currently own a 3.0 Volvo with a carb that i want to change. The product no. on the carb is 3854086; according to dougrussell, that is the correct carb (a 2 barrel holley). Now, the problem is that i found a BRAND NEW carb that looks exactly the same, but the numbers don't match. Here are the numbers I found:<br /><br />3863240 SAE J<br />76028-1 1223<br />D833<br /><br />Can anyone help me out? Will this carb fit onto my 3.0? What is the difference between those 2? I can't find any info on the internet! PLEASE HELP!!<br /><br />Thanx in advance (as always :) )<br /><br />Alex

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 3.0 carb change - PRODUCT NO PROBLEM

I have no idea what the 3863240 carb is.<br /><br />What is wrong with the original carb that you need to replace it?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is the choke working? Is it too tight? Is the idle mixture too rich? Has the engine been tuned up so it will burn the fuel the carb puts into the engine? Has the engine backfired? If so, the power valve needs replaced.(that would cause excess smoke)<br />Your problem doesn't need a new carb, it needs things set properly and everything working together.<br />Perhaps you need a new Mechanic, not a carb.

ss9940

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That could be the problem too :) The carb was totally clogged when i bought the boat (the engine was sunk due to a inserted drain plug) - so my mechanic took it completely apart, cleaned it and installed everything that's in a holley rebuild kit. The engine does not backfire - timing is set to 0 deg when in base timing mode. The choke is also ok, my guess would be re-setting the float or maybe changing it (the float wasn't included in the rebuild kit). The problem is there when the engine is cool or hot! Don't think my mechanic can fix it - and it's damn hard to find ANYTHING from Holley in my country OR Europe!<br /><br />I don't know about the idle mixture - i'm no expert so my mechanic did all the settings (by ear)... Is the power valve included in the rebuild kit?<br /><br />Is there a manual how to tune this thing so i could do it myself?<br /><br />Don, what do you say about the carb on ebay?<br /><br />Alex

ss9940

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just ordered some stuff from dougrussell and decided to get try my luck with a new float. That's the last thing i do with this old carb - if that doesn't work, it's scrap metal.