Service Manual vs. Technicians Handbook ???

AC30301998

Cadet
I have a 1994 Mercruiser 5.7 liter V8. I see on this Web site http://www.boatfix.com/merc/mainmenu.pdf. That they have Mercuisers service manuals, and service manual # 14; which is the manual for my Alpha drive unit OF166087. I also see that they have a Technician's Hankbook for 1994 drive units and engines. What is the difference between the Service Manual and the Technician's Manual? <br /><br />Aaron

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Service Manual vs. Technicians Handbook ???

Do yourself a favor and buy the Mercruiser manuals and leave the Seloc manuals there.

natwales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Generally I too have found the mercruiser manuals more thorough and consise, not to mention that they are available online if you need them. However, I have come across a few handy tips in the Seloc manual that weren't in the merc manual that have been very helpful. I also think the Seloc manuals are much more clearly organized.

AC30301998

Cadet

Yeah I have both Mercruiser service manuals!!! Manual #14 for my Alpha 1 generation 2 Drive and Manual # 17 for the 5.7 liter mcm. just wanted to know whats the difference between the Mercuiser Technician's Hankbook?<br /> <br />thanks! Reel Poor<br />Aaron

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I cant answer your questions because I don't/won't use those manuals. :p

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The tech manuals are basiclly a book of specs for a year. Including the wiring diagram etc. does not include all the step by step instructions. Handy for techs that already know the procedures, just don't know all the specs.