trouble planing

mcwinfrey8

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, tried my boat in water for the first time since i've owned it/rebuilt it, and it struggles to get on the plane. It's a fletcher 185 gts classic with mercruiser 470 / alpha one drive. I noticed on replacing the trim tab annode that the prop hit it and the fact it is a stainless quicksilver prop suggests obviously after market? Would this be my reason? The boat seemed to rev (though rpm guage not working to determine actual revs) but made plenty of white water and the bow rode very high and only just fell onto the plane at full throttle! Comparing it to a simlar size and power boat my pitch is much coarser than the other which pulls a ring etc with ease, whereas mine at the moment can't pull itself! What prop should i have? Would removing the plastic plugs on hub of the prop fix this problem? Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: trouble planing

Sounds like you are WAY over propped, but you need to know 2 things, the rpm at wide open trottle (WOT) and the dia. and pitch of the prop you now have. Without it, you are wasting your time.<br />The prop is what determines the rpm output of your engine and needs to be within a certain rpm range.

mcwinfrey8

Seaman Apprentice

On closer inspection, the power piston in the carb was siezed down holding down the power valve. Would this be my reason as i'm not sure what this does. thanks, Ben

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by mcwinfrey8:<br /> On closer inspection, the power piston in the carb was siezed down holding down the power valve. Would this be my reason as i'm not sure what this does. thanks, Ben
That's No Doubt a part of your overall Issues......<br /><br />But,.... Your're Still Over-Proped.....<br /><br />It sounds like the SSteel prop you're trying has Tooo Much Rake,.... That's Good for Bow-Lift,+ You Don't Need That.......<br />That's Also Why it's Hitting the Anode Tab........

rob935

Petty Officer 2nd Class

prop needs changin for sure after you sort out your carb problems, if you go to the mercruiser site you will find the correct prop for the alpha one leg....i put a four blade 19 inch solas prop on my alpha 1 3.oL last year got it up on the plane in no time at all and gave much more mid range power, kept the original for more top end if needed to ?