Trailer button does not work. Up button does not work. Down button works .. ?

Kevin Burchett

Recruit
1995 19' Spectrum boat. Mercruiser 3.0LX 140hp. Alpha One. Cant find a similar post anywhere... Trailer button doesn't work, Trim Up button doesnt work. Trim Down works OK. The trailer button dosnt really "push in" like you would expect a button to do. Popping the rubber hood off, I see it is just a copper cone over 2 points. I connected the points with a screwdriver and blew a fuse(replaced it), how in the world does that button work? Anyway, I replaced the up cellenoid no difference. (Oddly the green wire is "the down" & blue is "the up".) I switched them on the down cellenoid (as a test)and the unit would rise and while pushing the down button,(thats why I thought the up cellenoid was bad). // Inspected the port and starboard trim switches, both seem fine, well lubed and supple wires. // The boat does not have a dashboard gauge. // I did lower the tounge on the trailer so the unit could lower to max, no change. // Boat sat outside uncovered for 3 years (repo). Boat in good shape, no sign of abuse or home mechanics.// New battery. // Checked wiring in throttle assembly, nothing brittle or loose. // I see alot of posts like " up botton not working trailer button is". I have not seen this scenario or is it offered in my Shop Manual. Please help, very greatfull for your time.

tommays

Admiral
Re: Trailer button does not work. Up button does not work. Down button works ..

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14a5.pdf <br /><br />You have to check the connections carefully at the pump to see if there getting power from the trim buttons ?<br /><br />A LOT of the time they need to be rewmoved cleaned and reconnected at the pump even if they look good<br /><br />tommays

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

green=ground down<br />blue=sky up<br />only the left side is a limit switch (LS)<br />right side is gauge sender

Kevin Burchett

Recruit

When I test the pump as described in the on line-manual 5A-18, that is using a 'jump wire from the positive terminal to the blue and or green wires' the pump works in both directions. But it really is green-up and blue-down. I know,..it's crazy! Could this be an indicator of the bigger problem? Can the pump have been re-built and reversed?<br /> My little lighted tester from NAPA shows the purple wire gets power when the UP button is pressed. I disconect the wire joint running from the purple toward the transom (Limit Switch? starboard)and Jump Cable it directly to the green pump wire on the up cellenoid and I can raise the lower unit. However at a much slower-less powerful pump rate than jumping it straight from the positive terminal.<br /> I don't understand why I have a gauge sender without a dashboard gauge. I can't get any power reading from the port side switch (gauge sender?)regardless what buttons I push. I can't even follow the wires, but they seem to run toward the dash. <br /> I did clean and inspect the connections. This boat is so roomy I can actually put the pump on a milk crate and crawl all over it while it is still grounded and hot. I don't want to circumnavigate the limit switch but I can understand why some do!<br /> I am assuming there is no test for the Trailer Button which has not given a clue to working, and seems I can live without it. <br /> I am in electrical misery. I remain, ..all-ears.<br />Thank you for your posted and any future thoughts.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

down works directly from the down/in button, up works with the up/ out botton until the limit switch kicks in ,trailer button will now raise the drive to trailer position.trailer button can raise the drive at any time

MRS

Commander

not sure if yours is setup like mine I had same problem with mine but it is a 1970 120 merc. I have two selinoids one for up and the other for down they are ford starter selinoids. I went to napa and bought a new one and it fixed on my boat.

tm lihou

Cadet

Auctioneer,<br /><br />Had the same problem with mine. It may sound too simple, but all I had to do was clean the connecters that hook up to the battery terminals. <br /><br />The negative connecter had become REALLY corroded. Five minutes of scouring and it worked just like new.<br /><br />Hope you find some satisfaction soon.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is a link to section 1C of the Merc service manual. It's for troubleshooting, and should be a little easier to follow than the bench testing section.<br /><br /> http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14c1.pdf <br /><br />And just as an FYI, here is the link to the complete manual.<br /> http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14cover.pdf <br /><br />Also look at section 5A again (previous link) on page 59, verify the gray and black hoses are in the proper location on the pump. Also verify the hoses are in the proper location (see pages 6,7, and 8)<br /><br />You purple wire IS the power wire and supplies power to either up or down depending on which way the switch is operated.<br /><br />All Mercruiser drives have the gauge sender installed on the drive, and all the wiring is in the wiring harness. But some/most manufacturers don't install or hook up a gauge. However, the guage wiring has nothing to do with how the system opwerates.