Old Gas (what to do)

D

DJ

Re: Old Gas (what to do)

What in the world would gasoline companies know about gasoline? :confused: <br /><br />We all know there is a huge conspiracy out there to bilk all boatowners out of $40.00 by replacing their questionable fuel. ;) <br /><br />Ya, and the sky is falling too. :eek: <br /><br />Just replace the fuel and be done with it..

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Please keep in mind there are some people onboard that might just be making only a minimum wage. That 40 bucks is almost a days wage.<br /><br />This is still the best place to get opinions on how to do it in a failsafe professional way, and then there is opinions on ways to do it cheapest for those who can barely afford a boat.<br /><br />It is up to the person requesting advice to make their own choice on what they want to do.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Throw out gas after one year of storage? No way! <br /><br />I'd siphon the gas off into gas cans and add the fuel to my car's tank a few gallons at a time mixed with fresh gas until its all gone. However, I would add fuel injector/carb cleaner to the tank before.

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

For me, Length of boating season, amount of free time I have, makes it a no brainer. Drain the gas, get fresh, no worries about breakdowns due to bad gas, or rebuilds caused by the same! I want to spend my time boating, not wrenching when I could have avoided it by simply changing gas at the beggining! I too would mix it in with my auto gas. Car engines are much more forgiving.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I'm with quantum and DJ on this one. Why risk a significant investment if you don't have to. I realize many people have large fuel tanks that would have to be emptied, but the cost of pumping it out will outweigh by far the cost of a new motor. I would not even consider the chance, however remote!!

ZmOz

Captain

quantumleap, there's nothing "risky" about it. If the poster thinks the gas could be more than a year old, they probably shouldn't use it. But if it is only a year old it is stupid not to use it. It would be a complete waste throwing it out. Us suggesting they use the gas is no different than you saying not to. It's our opinion, and I will continue to say the same thing every time this question is asked. The only difference here is that our opinion is backed up by actual experience, years of it, from more than one person, and yours is backed up by things you read about on the internet. :rolleyes: If you don't want to use "old" gas that's fine. But don't make the decision for everyone else. I'm just trying to give this guy the facts and let him decide on his own.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Quantumleap:<br />You have no facts. Just luck. Please Stop.
Where do facts come from? They come from actually trying something. Have you tried it? Where are your facts? You don't have any. I do.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I'm going to stay out of the fussin except to suggest that you do not dump the "old gas" into a recent auto engine due to the sensors and computers. What would be OK to run in a 72 Chebby may do some harm to that $30,000.00 Expedition

1986mariner150

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its prolly gonna make that old chevy ping. What I do is use it in the lawnmower if its older than a year or so. If I have some that still smells pretty strong I add 110 octane racing fuel to it. I have a 78 camaro 350 with H.O. 305 heads that pings on premium, if I add 1 gallon to 20 gallons of regular the pinging goes away, so I usually add 1 gallon per 20. While gas prices have fluctuated over the years racing gas has stayed the same $3.24 a gallon for as long as I have been buying it.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

just a thought , you do need to burn the gas in a engine somewhere, a gallon of gas on the lawn will spoil 500000 gallons of future drinking water. or down a sewer a river for several years. burn in a open fire and if you are lucky, it will kill you,

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Way too much fuss over one year old gas! My lawnmower and snowblower keep their gas in them every year and it gets used the following year. I've never needed anything more than an occasional spark plug every four years and an annual oil change. And my machines are close to 20 years old.<br /><br />Burning the darn gas diluted with fresh gas in any engine is more than enough precaution. The rest is just hooey! If any of you 'safe' people throw out your gas on the ground somewhere, I hope a neighbor of yours throws a match!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

ENOUGH already. Wippel, if you want to take no chances with your outboard, pump out the old and use fresh gas. If you like to take risks, run it as is or add some fresh gas to it to make it more palatable to the outboard fuel system.