cork valve cover gaskets

VisionIsle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have read a from a few of your previous forum topics not to use cork valve cover gaskets. I was told by a boat mechanic that thoses would be the best. My engines a Volvo Penta AQ240A (Ford 351 Windsor). Can anyone tell me the reason not to and if Cork gaskets should be used at all this saltwater engine. Thanks

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: cork valve cover gaskets

I don't like to use them. They dry out to easy with heat (boat engines are enclosed and run hot) Then they crack and leak. They are also thin and don't seal as well at the ends of the valve covers where less hold down torque is present. I would rather get a thick Fel Pro style gasket. Thick cut material. To me it seals better and is more heat resistant.

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also have a 351 and when I bought the napa victor marine gasket kit for some crazy price of $200 the valve cover gasket that came was cork. Just coat both sides with rtv and slap it in.

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The beauty of cork is that it swells up when in contact with oil. The good cork gaskets have a thin metal shim sandwiched between two cork gaskets. If the valve cover flange is flat and not warped you can use sealer on the valve cover side and leave the head flange side dry. It makes it easier to remove later if you need to check valve adjustment or re-torque the heads. My engine builder recomends re-torquing the head bolts after heat cycling the engine if heads were removed.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Hey, very cool pictures and nice job on the "floor restore"!<br /><br /><br />Do you have an airplane for that hanger too?<br /><br /><br />Cheers, <br /><br />Rick<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by qaztwo:<br /> I also have a 351 and when I bought the napa victor marine gasket kit for some crazy price of $200 the valve cover gasket that came was cork. Just coat both sides with rtv and slap it in.

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go easy on the RTV. Not only is it a mess next time you have it apart, but excess can clog up the oil pickup.<br /><br />I don't use RTV for anything anymore. Try Hylomar. Never hardens. Works better in my opinion.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Fireship1:<br /> boat engines are enclosed and run hot
Thats not the reason...its the manifolds RIGHT WHERE THEY LEAVE THE BLOCK. Little cooling, and the gaskets are a few inches away. Just changed mine (along with the mans) and the middle cork on both sides were both showing signs of heat failure where you have the exhaust next to each other. Mostly the reason cork leak is the owner doesn't go back there and tighten them up once in a while. And with some mans, ya can't even get to the bolts, so don't be so quick to blame the cork......

VisionIsle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I pulled the old valve covers and they did have cork gaskets in them, boy what a mess! They were glued in with some yellow stuff that just was a real pain. I have replaced them with rubber gaskets, so far no leaks. The previous cork ones looked like they had been cooked.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.......<br /><br />Since I discovered Neopreme Gaskets,........<br /><br />I don't care if I Ever see another Cork Gasket,.....