Antifreeze raw water system?

bijou22

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a VP 4.3 GL V6 which is kept on a pontoon (sea water) throughout the year. I turn the engine over at least once a week to check all is OK. Do I need to have antifreeze in the system during the winter? and if so won't it be expelled everytime I start the engine?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Antifreeze raw water system?

Yes you need to drain it. If it gets colder than 0°C there. Starting it will NOT push the water out of the system.<br />If it's a raw water cooled engine, the block needs drained also.<br /><br />
I turn the engine over at least once a week to check all is OK.
I hope you aren't running that engine without water to it, if so, you will need a new water pump impeller. The Volvo impellers will be damaged when run dry for as little as 15 seconds.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The antifreeze is good in cold climates where temperature dip below freezing. It's a process of winteizing which means the motor is not run at all. Running it occasionally is a different situation. But that system addresses very few of the problems you may encounter. Gas goes stale as a function of time and exposure to air. Running the motor won't keep the gas from going stale. The other main function of winterizing is to remove all water to prevent damage from freezing. If it freezes where you are, running it occasionally won't address this either. There'll be plenty of time between runs to crack the block from freezing water.

bijou22

Petty Officer 1st Class

I drained the water today by removing all relevant hoses. The inlet pipe to the water pump cannot be drained as it is a constant flow from the sea water surrounding the boat. Is it OK to start the boat when the weather improves or is there a procedure to get water back into the system?

bijou22

Petty Officer 1st Class

DON S - The boat is always kept in the water, so after I drain all the water out of it, is there a procedure to start the boat at the beginning of a new season in relation to the cooling?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

before you drain it fogging it is a good idea.<br />as long as all your hoses are connected it should fire right up and operate normally after sitting.<br />if the water level isnt over the t plate you should be able to pull the intake hose from the cooler at the back and get a little antifreeze in that way to protect your pump from freezing.

mmainelli

Seaman Apprentice

I think you're creating too much "engine risk". As a first matter, if you can get your engine completely out of the water on these pontoons, then winterize it once and forget it until your season starts again. While all internal combustion engines are made to run, rather than sitting, running once per week is totally uncalled for. If you feel compelled to run the engine, once per month will do. Then do cooling system winterization again (no need to do any cylinder fogging). I have to assume you're stabilizing the gasoline for your off-season period. Since your VP GL is carbureted, a few squirts of starting fluid at each monthly start will help out. But unless starting that engine makes you feel real good, or commissioning assistance is hard to come by where you are, de-commission once and turn to your indoor sports.

bijou22

Petty Officer 1st Class

The season will start around the end of March, so I will fog and drain immediately and also add stabilizer for the fuel.