Auto Mechanic? SOLVED!!!

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Auto Mechanic? SOLVED!!!

all the 3.0 and 2.5 motors I ever saw in my life had a port side mounted altenator.
Thanks Rodbolt. For a while there I thought I was losing my mind. :) After I originally read this post I got to thinking about my dad's boat and I could have sworn the alternator was on the port side, but wasn't 100 percent sure... Bondo - did you edit your post? I thought you had originally written that the alternator was on the starboard side. :confused: There goes my mind again! ;) :D

Bondo

Staff member

Bondo - did you edit your post?
Who,.... Me,....?????......<br /><br />Ayuh,...... We All have brainfarts,.....Thank God for Whiteout.......... :D :D <br /><br />Back to the Issue at hand,......<br /><br />I've been thinking about this,.......<br /><br />goinhungry,....... Are you Absolutely SURE that you were Looking at the Harmonic Balancer,..????....<br /><br />'Cause it sure Sounds like you're Looking at the Waterpump Pulley,.........<br /><br />The Harmonic Balancer is Below,+ Behind the Waterpump Pulley...........

goinhungry

Seaman

Bondo - there are only 2 things that I'm absolutely sure of: 1) that I'm not absolutely sure about anything :) and 2) that you guys are a great help and I really appreciate the assistance/patience!! :) <br /><br />Last fall, I couldn't figure out why the belt wasn't turning while the engine was running, so I totally removed the belt and watched the pulleys, just to be sure that the alternator, or something else, wasn't binding it up and causing the belt to slip. None of the pulleys turned when the engine idled with the belt removed (I believe there were 3 total - 1 for balancer, 1 for water pump and 1 for the alternator). I'll investigate further and keep you guys posted - thanks again for the help!

goinhungry

Seaman

SOLVED!!!! Just wanted to update everyone that helped out on the problems (below) that I was having. Turned out it was simple - the rebuilt alternator was fine (had it tested), the belt had slipped off the harmonic balancer (which I had confused with the waterpump pully - thanks to Don S. for setting me straight!!) and the hot wires were caused by corrosion. I unhooked the alternator (to elminate it as a suspect) and tested everything until I had it down to only the cables and the starter. Since the cables were 6 guage, and pretty ratty-looking, I replaced them with 2 guage, cleaned all contacts and ground, etc. and it fired right up with no heat problem. I guess the cables had corroded internally to the point where they could no longer handle the current required by the starter, so every time I cranked it the wires overheated. Thanks again to everyone for the input!!

Mikevn1500

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just a note on your ticking/clicking noise, It could very well be your alt. My 3.0 in my old boat always clicked,my alt was missing a bracket tha ran at an angle to the motor.Not the front one but one in the rear. Now I dont remember why or how or where it got off too, but a piece of wood weged between it and the block solved the clicking issue.

Bondo

Staff member

the belt had slipped off the harmonic balancer (which I had confused with the waterpump pully -
I kinda suspected that,........<br /><br />But,...... I didn't want to call you a Liar,........ :D

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

ahhhh(sigh) My eyes are getting all watery! If this isn't love, I don't know what is! :)